My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Turf consultant
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking through some old threads I started thinking about posting a wanted ad on Craigslist in my area for garden tractors, walk mowers and chainsaws. My interests are neither specific to one brand, but the wife won't let me turn the back yard into a junkyard, either. With that in mind, I'm curious to see if anyone has had any success from a wanted ad or if it just became a giant PITA.

I really see myself as having three options:

1) Offer to take pretty much anything for free and hope that a gem appears every now and then. Whatever else part out, sell to friends, or trade with the local dealer for stuff I want.

2) Post an ad offering to buy the specific stuff I want. Offer reasonable, but below average prices on products and hope I get something here or there.

3) Forget about it and not have an inbox clogged with people offering to sell me a Yard-Man when I'm looking for a Cub, Deere, etc.

If anyone has tried anything like this, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have gone the want ad route with snowmobiles, with mixed results. I would put up an ad stating that the local scrap yard pays $10-20 for a machine, but I start at about $20 and go up from there. I got a few sleds, I had a couple amazingly profitable deals last winter, but in the spring people kept flagging my ads. It seems there was competition I didn't expect, plus I had a guy get really upset that I wouldn't pay $300 for a machine with a "bad clutch" (I think when the clutch came apart it bent the crank, so it would never have been a money maker at that price)
If you have the room and knowledge, get whatever you can. Fix and sell the ones you don't want, when going to look at a machine bring a minimal amount of money, just how much you are willing to hand over, and don't be afraid to walk away empty handed. Winter is a good time to buy, people don't want to store stuff.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You've got some competition already depending upon which part of PA you're located, Lars.

There are at least two guys in lower PA/upper MD who do exactly that.

One advertises exactly what you suggest as option 2. He apparently does alright, as he continuously has a list of tractors he's parting out.

Another advertised free removal of just about anything with cash paid for some models.

Unless you're ready to actively become a stripper/flipper/partsman, option 3 may be your best bet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts