My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,573 Posts
I got a La Crosse weather station for Christmas last year. The rain gauge quit after about 6 months. I fiddled with it and got it running again, only to have it fail a few weeks later. The anemometer and temperature/pressure sensors all work, but the interface of the provided Heavy Weather software leaves a lot to be desired. The wireless computer interface is iffy as well.

The good news: I got a grant to fund a Davis Vantage Pro for my high school. I am just waiting for the weather to improve so the head of maintenance can get on the roof and install a pole. I think he is more excited than I am!
The weather station is on the roof at my high school and I have installed the Weatherlink software and I can display the graphs and data on my PC. However, I want to load the data to a web page on my science web site. I can't figure out how to do that. Do I need to subscribe to Davis' on line service?

·
Administrator
11,804 Posts
The weather station is on the roof at my high school and I have installed the Weatherlink software and I can display the graphs and data on my PC. However, I want to load the data to a web page on my science web site. I can't figure out how to do that. Do I need to subscribe to Davis' on line service?
Is your science website operated by the school or do you update and maintain it yourself?

WeatherLink uses ftp to transfer files to a website. So first you need to know the server ftp address and password to send the data to. If the school is operating it and the website operates within the school network they might instead have to setup a location for you to send files. You can also have the web files saved to a folder on their network someplace. As I recall WeatherLink comes with some pre-made .htx templates.

I know it really looks overwhelming at first. But stick with it and follow the guides in the WeatherLink help files and you'll get there. Your at the spot I was at about 10 years ago with starting a weather website. :fing32:

You could subscribe to the WeatherLink network at least for now as that is the quickest way (shortest learning curve) with WeatherLink to get a website up and running. Then add a link to it on your science page until you get up to speed on manually creating a website. That option was not available when I started out. Another option would be to upload data to WeatherUnderground. That would also be a relatively quick way to get the data on the net where others could look at it. See:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/setup.asp

·
Premium Member
9,573 Posts
Is your science website operated by the school or do you update and maintain it yourself?

WeatherLink uses ftp to transfer files to a website. So first you need to know the server ftp address and password to send the data to. If the school is operating it and the website operates within the school network they might instead have to setup a location for you to send files. You can also have the web files saved to a folder on their network someplace. As I recall WeatherLink comes with some pre-made .htx templates.

I know it really looks overwhelming at first. But stick with it and follow the guides in the WeatherLink help files and you'll get there. Your at the spot I was at about 10 years ago with starting a weather website. :fing32:

You could subscribe to the WeatherLink network at least for now as that is the quickest way (shortest learning curve) with WeatherLink to get a website up and running. Then add a link to it on your science page until you get up to speed on manually creating a website. That option was not available when I started out. Another option would be to upload data to WeatherUnderground. That would also be a relatively quick way to get the data on the net where others could look at it. See:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/setup.asp
Thanks for the encouragement Mark. My school science web site is on Google sites. I haven't looked into it, but I don't know how I would get that type of information from them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Since you are at a school, you may have to work with the district's IT people to get through any firewalls they have in place to get to the outside Internet.

Consider lurking/registering/joining wxforum.net. Mark is a member over there and I'm an admin. You will find lots of help there.

Basically, you have 3 options for getting your info to the net and then onto a web page.

1) the original, more difficult way, as Mark alluded to. FTP the data, images, and or html on a schedule from your computer to a web server. This requires some knowledge and experimentation, but is the way most of us got started. It also requires a 24/7 computer...

2) As you mentioned, subscribe to WeatherLink.com and send your data there. Then, I think you can link to the graphic they generate from another web page.

3) Trade your USB or serial WeatherLink for a WeatherLinkIP and send directly to WeatherLink.com, no computer required. You can still access the data from software WeatherLink locally on your PC if you want.

3a) Get another "plug and play" solution like Meteohub or a WeatherElement data hub to send to a server. Some send to your own web site, some, like WeatherElement, are truly plugNplay/zero config on your end and send to that company's server. All you do is hook it up, and then go to the website to register it.

Disclosure. I created and run WeatherElement.com. We currently have 3 schools along the Central California Coast as members. Here's a representative site:

http://www.weatherelement.com/pacificvalley

·
Premium Member
9,573 Posts
Since you are at a school, you may have to work with the district's IT people to get through any firewalls they have in place to get to the outside Internet.

Consider lurking/registering/joining wxforum.net. Mark is a member over there and I'm an admin. You will find lots of help there.

Basically, you have 3 options for getting your info to the net and then onto a web page.

1) the original, more difficult way, as Mark alluded to. FTP the data, images, and or html on a schedule from your computer to a web server. This requires some knowledge and experimentation, but is the way most of us got started. It also requires a 24/7 computer...

2) As you mentioned, subscribe to WeatherLink.com and send your data there. Then, I think you can link to the graphic they generate from another web page.

3) Trade your USB or serial WeatherLink for a WeatherLinkIP and send directly to WeatherLink.com, no computer required. You can still access the data from software WeatherLink locally on your PC if you want.

3a) Get another "plug and play" solution like Meteohub or a WeatherElement data hub to send to a server. Some send to your own web site, some, like WeatherElement, are truly plugNplay/zero config on your end and send to that company's server. All you do is hook it up, and then go to the website to register it.

Disclosure. I created and run WeatherElement.com. We currently have 3 schools along the Central California Coast as members. Here's a representative site:

http://www.weatherelement.com/pacificvalley
Thanks for the advice. I will look into weatherelement. Yesterday, before I saw your email, I was able to sign up as a personal weather station with Weather Underground. It just came on line this afternoon. I like WU, but the WE interface looks really cool. Can I still register with WE too?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts