My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have an eye on a nice 16G with a weak engine, everything else work great. Its real cheap so Im thinking of blowing it out with max HP. What engine do you recommend to use , how much HP can I put in a 16G ? How hard is it to do and finally ........how much will it cost. Im thinking it gotta be cheaper than buying a 24G? NO? Im all ears.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
It depends on how much a 24G will cost you. Good engines are not cheap.

Here is a good place to start.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com

The only HP limitation is in the PTO clutch. The 24G PTO clutch is good for something like 50HP. The standard PTO clutch like the one in your 16G is capable of handling much less.

In the end, it doesn't do a lot of good to have extra power if that power cannot be directed to the attachment.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Guys,

I have an eye on a nice 16G with a weak engine, everything else work great. Its real cheap so Im thinking of blowing it out with max HP. What engine do you recommend to use , how much HP can I put in a 16G ? How hard is it to do and finally ........how much will it cost. Im thinking it gotta be cheaper than buying a 24G? NO? Im all ears.
Here is a thread where we talked a lot about repower

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=118085:MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for the responses. gonna check out the thread n see whats what.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok that was some read.....alot of information for sure. Can either of you guys tell me what engine you would buy? What the best one in your opinions and where to get it is what Im looking for.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Engine I would buy? I can tell you what I would not buy. Here is my short list:

Kohler Courage
Briggs Intek
Carol Stream
Anything else that falls into a similar or cheaper price-to-horsepower range. All of the cheap engine are throwaway engines.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I prefer Onan engines but they aren't available new anymore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first tractor was the 816 with the 16.5 onan twin, love the torque of that one. Did they make em bigger?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My first tractor was the 816 with the 16.5 onan twin, love the torque of that one. Did they make em bigger?

Im most likely going to go with a honda engine, I have a friend that owns a dealership and can get one at his cost no problem. Just have to pick the one that I want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey olds I just put a 24 hp honda onto my 8179 KT. Man what an engine. I couldn't be happier with it. It has plenty of torque and power. I was pulling trailer loads of crushed concrete with 1 person on the tractor and 2 on the trailer, didn't even know the load was there.

I cant wait for this winter so I can plow with it. My swap looks identical to gravelymays since he really really helped me through the swap. I almosted started a thread yesterday on the swap but ran out of time.

I think the hardest part of the swap was just finding time to do it. Then the exhaust was a little tedious, but that turned out fine.

The electrical part was a cake walk thanks to Bruce. If you have any questions let me know ill be glad to answer whatever I can.

I only have about 10 hours on the new honda, but so far I love it.

Ill try to get some pictures up tmrw of everything I did

Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
Just a thought,

If I had to repower my 16G, I would put a new Kohler Command Pro EFI on it so I could retain the rear PTO belt drive - I have a bagger/vac on my tractor I would not want to give up.

It is my understanding that few if any other brands are compatable in that regard.

I know Honda makes great engines, but my one Honda experiance was not good - a pressure washer that never did run right. replaced it with a Briggs powered Troy built, its been running great for years now - never touched it yet.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Onan did make a 24 hp engine and it was used on the 24G.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Just a thought,

If I had to repower my 16G, I would put a new Kohler Command Pro EFI on it so I could retain the rear PTO belt drive - I have a bagger/vac on my tractor I would not want to give up.

It is my understanding that few if any other brands are compatable in that regard.

I know Honda makes great engines, but my one Honda experiance was not good - a pressure washer that never did run right. replaced it with a Briggs powered Troy built, its been running great for years now - never touched it yet.

Sheldon
I had my first problem with a Honda today. :banghead3

It would not start :crybaby:

Had gas Had spark would not start on ether.:crybaby:

It has a fuel shut off valve on so it had 12 volts power on it.

Then I pulled out the plug and sure both plugs where bad at the same time.
I put 2 new plugs in runs like new???????????:thThumbsU

also had a problem with a spray washer a few years a go and it would almost stop running some times.

put in a new plug and it still runs like a top.

If Honda don't start the 1st or second pull then there is some thing big wrong.

On 13 Hp I shut the gas off and let it run out and die.
when ready to run again ,open the shut off valve and choke all the way close .

1 pull most all the time maybe 2 times '

But today it was on a 24 hp and both plugs would not fire.
I may have flooded them.:banghead3

Even with that,
I much ,MUCH rather have My Honda 24 then the Kohler 19
series ll
I had for 25 years always burned oil from day one until it got so bad I had to replaced it.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
The Honda I had started fine - would not run at a steady speed, would cut out under load when it got hot. Could not do anything with it myself, dispite years of rebuilding engines of all types. Spend money to have it fixed once, got rid of it when the problem came back again.

The Kohler M18S on my 1995 16G still runs perfect after 16 years. Has never used a drop oil, has only needed the carb adjusted once, this past spring.

I chane the oil and filter every spring and fall regardless of hours, I change the plugs once a year, starts every time first time. it moved over 30" snow three different times in the past two winters.

I suspect I'll get another 16 years out of it. And like I said, I bought the tractor with the understanding that it would work with the bagger/vac, I would rebuild the M18S before giving up that feature.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
+1

The Magnum M18 is a good one for what it is.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
Richard, I agree the Onan was really tops, I had an Onan RV gen set years ago on my tool truck when I sold MATCO TOOLS. I ran that that thing eight ot ten hours a day straight, especially in the summer, running a roof top A/C unit - it never missed a beat in the 6 years I owned it.

Never had to do a thing to it other than oil changes and spark plugs.

Sheldon

1 - 20 of 42 Posts