My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
One of few employed in MI
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance (still weird to say) keeps her horse on 40 acres in Ortonville, MI. I wanted to go grease up my 2000 and put the new muffler on today so I headed out there with the dog. Since we've been so busy lately I haven't had much time to play with or walk the dog. I took the ATV and headed out to the back of the property. I've never been farther back than about 20 acres. I know the ENTIRE length of the property has an old fence so I wanted to go see the property. At the rear property line there is an old barn (a shed really) that looked abandoned. I decided to go inside and found this! I have no idea what it is but I guess its mine. I talked to the owner of the barn when I got back and she said she hasn't been in that barn in over 10 years and didn't know what was out there. Her husband died 8 years ago and she pretty much became a homebody. There is also an old horse trailer in it and some misc tools, junk, hay, and what looks to be the biggest hand held wire wheel I've ever seen. I found some Craftsman wrenches that have to be 60+ years old. I brought them home with me. Can't decide if I want to display them or put them in the toolbox and use them.

To me, this looks like a shovel or bucket. It looks as if you can install it either way, but it scoops dirt. If nothing else, I thought it was cool. You can tell by the style of Pepsi can that someone has been back there recently. Maybe some kids from the house next door or even her husband. I think that style Pepsi can is over 8 years old.

Found this too. Original seat from the 2000? I'd think its off something much older but its blue, not silver or red.

Just thought I'd share my story from today. I had a good time exploring out there. The dog got so tired on the way back I had to set her in my lap the last 15 acres or so.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Nice finds! I think that I'd be talking to the owner of the property a little more to see if you can strike up a "deal" for the contents. That scoop looks to be well built. You never know.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice finds! I think that I'd be talking to the owner of the property a little more to see if you can strike up a "deal" for the contents. That scoop looks to be well built. You never know.

No deal needed. She told me that if I got the tractor running it was mine along with anything that came with it (plow, blade, post hole digger). This just adds to the free $#!t I've got from there. The funny thing is that I got this stuff for free (well, its a long story) but I now use it at the barn to cut the grass all summer.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
NIce story. With the good deals ya got from the lady i hope ya give her a hand if she needs it. Sounds like a nice person to be friends with. Any more pics of the property? so far so nice.. we would love to see more...

·
22,321 Posts
No deal needed. She told me that if I got the tractor running it was mine along with anything that came with it (plow, blade, post hole digger). This just adds to the free $#!t I've got from there. The funny thing is that I got this stuff for free (well, its a long story) but I now use it at the barn to cut the grass all summer.
This lady sounds to me like a tremendously good person to know.

Now, let's see some pics of the tractor! :wwp:

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
That also looks like a GardenWay cart that's in good shape. just needs tubes and tires and should be all set. One of the handiest carts ever made.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The scoop thing looks like it might be what my sisters father in law called a tumble bug. It was used ona small tractor (like a Ford 8N) to scrape up dirt and move it to another location.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Sounds like you had quite the time exploring, bet you will find more "treasures" as you look though the rest of the barn.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This lady sounds to me like a tremendously good person to know.

Now, let's see some pics of the tractor! :wwp:
She's a great lady to know. It's where I got the Ford 2000 from for the price of......getting it running! I could take it home anytime I want but I made a deal with her that says my fiance can keep her horse there for free if I mow the lawn. That translates to about $20 an hour if I cut once a week.

·
16,499 Posts
That is a rear scoop (small version)--not sure of what brand--to fit the rear three point hitch......
I like those old barn finds..!!

Congrats!!

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NIce story. With the good deals ya got from the lady i hope ya give her a hand if she needs it. Sounds like a nice person to be friends with. Any more pics of the property? so far so nice.. we would love to see more...
I don't have pics of the property but its basically 4-5 acres of horse pastures and then the rest is 2-3ft weeds with one old ATV trail running up the length of it. I don't have pics but I can take some. Not a lot to look at but I could take pics.

The brush hog/plow I use at the barn but the rest I'd like to bring home. The post hole digger, blade, rear bucket Id like to bring home and either sell off or restore. I've got a blade for the 1220 that would work for the 2000. The bucket I could sell off for cheap. I'd probably keep the post hole digger just to have it. By the looks of it I could use it for the 1220 and 2000!

·
22,321 Posts
Great looking machine! Now that is a tractor!

It sounds like you really have a great relationship with this lady. You are lucky. My hat is off to you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a scoop almost exactly like that, it's really handy if you don't have a FEL & need to move some dirt. They are still made, & you can get them from most any ag supply place, like TSC, Northern, etc.

That's one lucky find, the whole deal.:thThumbsU

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a scoop almost exactly like that, it's really handy if you don't have a FEL & need to move some dirt. They are still made, & you can get them from most any ag supply place, like TSC, Northern, etc.

That's one lucky find, the whole deal.:thThumbsU
The relationship I have with the lady is great. She's really the reason I'm in the hobby. Before this and aquiring the 2000 I would just use the 1220 and JD to get jobs done. Now I really find it fun and love working on them. Because of my age (25), I really feel a nostalgic feeling working on/driving the 2000. The 1220 my dad bought new and I bought it off him but its nothing like the 2000. Dad sold me the 1220 for super cheap and he picked up a new Ford. Its basically what replaced the 1220. If memory serves me correct its called a TC30?

I don't have an FEL for that tractor so this might come in handy. I could really get some work done with that rear scoop and the plow. The trick now is getting the plow tuned up. It sat in the sun for years and barely worked thsi year. I'm going to get new lines made up for it, change out out the oil, and rewire it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the "barn" is really a corn crib that is why their is slats in the walls. Next to the dirt scoop is a plastic tool box (it was made in Lapeer) i have one and it is a really good box. Now I just need to find an older sugar mama like you to get free tractors.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the "barn" is really a corn crib that is why their is slats in the walls. Next to the dirt scoop is a plastic tool box (it was made in Lapeer) i have one and it is a really good box. Now I just need to find an older sugar mama like you to get free tractors.
Probably is from Lapeer. Ortonville is only 10 miles away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts