My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back 15 years ago or so there was a book put together on US made walk behind tractors they came up with 65 brands then there are European and Asian tractors. What walk behind tractors have you had? Being a West Virginia boy Gravely's are special to me
I have owned in my day
Gravely
David Bradley
Simplicity
Bolens
Planet jr
Page
Garden All
Choremaster
Plowtrac (Mountgomery Wards made by dandyboy)
Grillo (Italian)
I have at the moment the Grillo G85D and a Gravely professional 12

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
1,008 Posts
I have six Gravely walk behinds with two of them currently on winter duty, two waiting for servicing, and two project tractors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Troy built my dad bought in the late seventies with a Kohler 7HP. It still runs great. I am getting where I use it less as I move over to my Power King 2414 garden tractor.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The old Graham Page/Frazer tillers are cool 5hp 2 cycle they were sold in the show room right along side cars of the same brand. They cost over half what the cars cost . I spoke with a gentleman that had one ,he said it would probably till up blacktop

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
David Bradley
Bolens
Wards, Made by Midland for Simp. and Wards)
Viking twin, on steel wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is my 1953 Endless Tread Garden Tractor mfg. by Sam Beachy & Sons in Salisbury , Pennsylvania. The engine is a AU7R Continental , I currently have it in pieces being restored.

IMG_20170506_184759.jpg
IMG_20170506_184659.jpg
IMG_20170506_185035.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
That is awesome. I love that tread. Now, I'm not so sure how effective it would be, but it looks great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is awesome. I love that tread. Now, I'm not so sure how effective it would be, but it looks great.
Haven't had the pleasure of running this piece of equipment yet but people I know that have said one of the downfalls of this walk behind is it drives Too fast , Thanks for the comment.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
1,008 Posts
Interesting machine. It looks like the tread pivots independently of the handlebars and tiller steels. If speed is your problem I am thinking that you could probably change belt pulley diameters and belt length to slow it down.

Reactions: Horseoholic

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Paul, the thought crossed my mind about doing that but i'm not sure how fast it moves yet. I was thinking this old girl is gonna mainly be a "Trailer Queen" her days of digging dirt is pretty much over, I would like to get it restored and take her to shows to introduce another piece of history to other generations that hopefully appreciate something that use to be. This particular Endless tread here with some much appreciated help from a member I met on another forum, actually knew some of the family members that origionaly produced these machines (he lives out near where they were produced) and they allowed him to copy records of the Endless Treads they produced starting in 1953, he was able to find my S/N and found out it was the 125th one produced in the first year of production in 1953 equipted with a AU7R Continental engine. this Endless tread is known as a first generation.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
1,008 Posts
Besides having a rare machine you are fortunate to be able to find such detailed history of your machine. Good luck with the restoration. Be sure to post "after" pictures.

Reactions: Horseoholic

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Help please, i am trying to find member called "RoadKing" lives in Mass. can someone tell me how to reach him. thank you don in n.h.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
1,008 Posts
Help please, i am trying to find member called "RoadKing" lives in Mass. can someone tell me how to reach him. thank you don in n.h.
Pull down the 3 dots at the right of the header. Select Members. Search for RoadKing. Select Discussions. Reply to his RoadKing introduction post. See if he replies to you. Looks like he lived in Conn in 2008.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
My dad had a Midland two wheeler with a sulky seat and steering wheel. Had a 3 speed trans with reverse. A rod connected from the "dash" to the tip of a real shifter, accomplished gear changes. It had more linkage and pivot points than a Praying Mantis! With dual ag tires, it went everywhere without getting stuck.
Great old machine, wish I still had it.

Here is a short history of Midland, courtesy of TractorData.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts