My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sister's G16, Kohler M16/18. I am trying to keep her interested in her Gravely, but it is not doing much to endear itself to her.

These Walbro carbs do not have a removable seat? It doesn't appear to "remove" by conventional means. But even if I did remove it, the kits don't appear to come with new seats.

What are you supposed to do, buy a brand new carb? I bet the chinese carbs all have their own problems. I came across a thread that said some honing compound on the eraser end of a pencil clamped in a drill might clean up the seat enough to work.

Any other tips or first hand knowledge of dealing with this problem?

Heck, maybe I should rebuild a K301 812 for her. I feel like I would be working on it less, anyway. :/

·
Gravely1964
3,952 Posts
Search carb seats for kohler magums. Do them all the time at work.

Heres the thread I started. Swore I did a vid on the seat removeal sorta

·
Gravely1964
3,952 Posts
Ah ha knew I did guess never posted to thread IDK

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, would you look at that. This is exactly what I was looking for... thanks!

All of my prior search terms included the word "Walbro"... so I didn't see your thread (not that I am very impressed with the search function on this new site layout).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well, would you look at that. This is exactly what I was looking for... thanks!

All of my prior search terms included the word "Walbro"... so I didn't see your thread (not that I am very impressed with the search function on this new site layout).
The best way to search for something on a site like this is to do a Google search with the word "site:mytractorforum.com" included.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Many many different carbs, old and new have this problem. A simple valve in the fuel line should stop it. All equipment really should have a fuel valve in the line, and it should be turned off each time the equipment is put away for any period of time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do what I did: Fling the Walbro into the bushes and install a Kohler carb from a KT17. Adjustable mixture needles, replaceable float seat and no worries.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,982 Posts
I'll go with Franklin2. Install a fuel line shutoff and don't forget to use it. I have had this happen three times, once with catastrophic results. The alternative is a plastic fuel tank with the fuel line on the top. No siphoning. Given the Gravely design with the tank above the the carb, leaving possible the ability to siphon gas if the float sticks, I think addressing the issue at the source (tank and fuel line) is more reliable a cure than the carb.

For what its worth, Gravely put a shutoff at the bottom front of the steel tanks. The issue is they are VERY difficult to reach and, with their small knob, difficult to turn when you finally do reach them. A five dollar plastic quarter valve located wherever you think is convenient for you to reach seems a far more elegant solution.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Carb Flooding. I sent my carb to Richards. They rebuild it and sent back..I ran new fuel hoses and installed an inline shut off. Has already removed the gas tank had it cleaned and resealed. Runs like a champ,problem resolved..

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
The first question I would ask, is this a metal tank 16G or a newer plastic tank 16G?

How old is the fuel pump?

I just replaced the engine in a 25 year old 16G, plastic fuel tank, with 1000 hours on a Kohler Magnum. Never once had a flooded crankcase, only had a few fuel system related problems in all that time. I have never had a fuel shutoff valve on the tractor.

I did replace a couple fuel pumps and did replace the carb once. I have also never had a problem that I could trace back to ethanol.

I do understand others have had these problems. I suspect my top feed plastic fuel tank is an advantage over the metal bottom feed tanks.

In theory, the stopped fuel pump, and the needle and seat, should be more than enough to stop the flow of fuel. I suspect that many such events can be blamed on both items being in "marginal" condition.

And while I have not had problems, there is no question that the ethanol is not good for either piece of equipment.

I suspect it has been at least partly responsible for some of my fuel pump woes, though it never seemed to effect engine performance.

We know Kohler used several different carbs on these engines. The carb on my engine does not say Walbro, is has full adjustment of both idle and main jets, I can't say I know which carb it is or who made it. My engine was manufactured in 1994.

I do not warm up to the idea of shutting on/off a fuel cutoff valve every time I use the tractor. The new Kohler CH730 I just installed on my tractor has an electric fuel cutoff built in. I guess that is good/necessary these days.

Seems to me a good fuel pump and a good carb are the solution. Or add an electric fuel cutoff wired to the ignition switch?

Why do I have less fuel problems? I have two theories. One my tractor has mostly been stored in an insulated building with slow/minimal temperature changes even though it was unheated. Two, i have always used name brand premium fuel, SUNOCO and BP to be specific, which has better quality additives and less Ethanol than regular or off brands.

Hope you get it worked out.

Sheldon

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I took the easy way out and put a quarter turn valve under left side of seat pan. Quickly becomes habit to turn it on and off

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. This is a plastic tank version G16 with a new Kohler fuel pump (or Kohler substitute brand fuel pump, I should say). I may end up going with a cutoff switch but I am going to try a new seat as well.

Ah ha knew I did guess never posted to thread IDK

Gravely1964 - when you installed the stainless seat from the Kohler kit, did you use one of the rubber needle seat inserts or did you just use the rubber tipped needle valve that came with the kit?

Thanks.

·
Gravely1964
3,952 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. This is a plastic tank version G16 with a new Kohler fuel pump (or Kohler substitute brand fuel pump, I should say). I may end up going with a cutoff switch but I am going to try a new seat as well.

Gravely1964 - when you installed the stainless seat from the Kohler kit, did you use one of the rubber needle seat inserts or did you just use the rubber tipped needle valve that came with the kit?

Thanks.
I used the rubber tipped needle from the kit for fuel pumps. think the rubber insert is better for gravity feed systems

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"This is a plastic tank version G16"
Correction - this is a metal tank with the petcock on the bottom. I also service my cousin's later model 16G with Briggs twin... THAT one has a plastic tank.

So, the metal tanks are more prone to siphoning? Interesting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts