My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have one or more. We have two now and have had 4 over the years.
Funny how America doesn't know these things AVERAGE 42 mpg.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I own 1 and my wife has 1 too. I have a 1990 Jetta 1.6 and wife's is an '05 Jetta TDI. We bought the '05 brand new and is a FINE automobile. Got 48K on it now with no issues whatsoever. My '90 has 218K and runs excellent. I've owned to before this one and seem to always end up with one. Most miles I had on one was an '85 golf with 298k, sold it like an idiot and guy still has it 3+ years now. I'd like to get a newer one like my wifes sooner or later.

They have been America's best kept secret for years now.

Most complain of the smell as i'm sure your aware.

MU

·
15,000 +posts!
20,836 Posts
I regret selling my 1986 VW Jetta I had,with the 1.6 diesel,with hydraulic lifters..bought it from a guy in 1997,he got it from his daughter in PA,she had driven it 10 years and loaned it to many of her college friends--it had stickers from Abaline TX,and Michigan State and many other places in the back window

..I found a roll of bridge tokens for the Delaware River Bridge in its glove box!..had 238,000 on it when I got it..guy sold it to me for 100 bucks,his daughter had bought a newer VW diesel,and he decided to drive it here instead of buying a plane ticket and sell it for her..he had to put a new altenator on it in NJ,and whoever put it on for him only put one bolt in it,I was surprised it made the trip here!..it had also just had its clutch replaced just before he got it too..

I loved that car,I could start it up at 8 am and go joyriding all day,and use about 5 bucks worth of diesel..thanks to that I was able to go look for tractors without blowing 20 bucks every day..too bad I had to go GET them with my pickup truck,but i still saved a lot of money..I had to replace the clutch,the disc lost its anti-chatter springs--found out someone used a gas engine clutch,the diesel disc had rubber springs,not steel ones!..I put all new parts in,even though I could have gotten away with just a disc--Pep Boys had a whole clutch kit for 90 bucks!..putting it in sucked big time,firt FWD I ever did alone..had to have a friend help get the tranny back in,despite being small and not much heavier than a lawn tractor transaxle..allen head bolts on everything on that car too!(that someone else boggered up already!)..

I drove it until 2002,when I decided to sell it--the timing belt snapped one day while I had left it idling outside--I replaced it and it still ran,but I could tell the valves got wounded,it didn't have the same pep and it ticked sometimes--a VW guy told me I'd probably get a few thousand more miles out of it and a valve would drop its head into the combustion chamber--so I reluctantly sold it to a friend at a junkyard,it needed all 4 struts,exhaust system,etc too--got my 100 bucks back..found out it was sold to a foriener the next day for 500 bucks!..I felt pretty stupid..then I saw what ones worse than mine sell for on CL and I regretted selling it--its body was 100% solid and rust free,no other 1986 anything here I've ever seen had a cleaner undercarriage!..

I dont know what VW uses for undercoating,it looks like melted trash bags,but it does WORK..I know I'd still be driving it today had I not sold it--still steered like a new car,even with 252,000 on it when I sold it..it consistently got 45-52 mpg too!..in the winter it was cheaper to ride around in it all day,than sitting in my shop with the oil furnace going,and warmer too!..

I have wanted to get another one,I keep my eyes open--but they are scarce for the price I paid for mine,even 500-1000 is "cheap" for one here,even an older 80's model..

But my friend at his used car lot recently got a "New Beetle" diesel,with 200 on it,a 2001,with one fender ripped off and slight rear 1/4 damage--wants 2500 for it "fixed"..wish I had the cash,but I sat in it,and I dont fit so well in it,my Jetta was no problem..I'm 6'5" tall,and the Beetle seems cramped compared to the Jetta,despite being built on the same platform..

I still ave one diesel,my '82 GMC pickup with a 6.2--not their best diesel,but I like it,it plows like a bulldozer compared to several V8 trucks I have owned previously..I thought I'd hate that diesel smell,but you know,it grows on ya!..it only stinks when you pull up behind another diesel!--your own smells OK,kinda like your own farts compared to someone elses.. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
i had an 02 tdi golf. it was thoroughly tweaked with bosch struts and shocks, eibach front and rear sway bars, powerplus injectors, and a "rocket chip" stage 2+ tune. All this netted me around 300ft-lb of torque, 130hp and 46mpg. it was one quick little tdi that handled like a go-cart but looked 100% stock. unfortunately, expensive electrical items started failing around 85000 miles and i traded it. check out tdiclub.com for all kinds of info on maintenance, mods, parts, etc. i plan to get one of the 09 jetta tdi wagons and cash in on the "clean vehicle" tax break.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I regret selling my 1986 VW Jetta I had,with the 1.6 diesel,with hydraulic lifters..bought it from a guy in 1997,he got it from his daughter in PA,she had driven it 10 years and loaned it to many of her college friends--it had stickers from Abaline TX,and Michigan State and many other places in the back window

..I found a roll of bridge tokens for the Delaware River Bridge in its glove box!..had 238,000 on it when I got it..guy sold it to me for 100 bucks,his daughter had bought a newer VW diesel,and he decided to drive it here instead of buying a plane ticket and sell it for her..he had to put a new altenator on it in NJ,and whoever put it on for him only put one bolt in it,I was surprised it made the trip here!..it had also just had its clutch replaced just before he got it too..

I loved that car,I could start it up at 8 am and go joyriding all day,and use about 5 bucks worth of diesel..thanks to that I was able to go look for tractors without blowing 20 bucks every day..too bad I had to go GET them with my pickup truck,but i still saved a lot of money..I had to replace the clutch,the disc lost its anti-chatter springs--found out someone used a gas engine clutch,the diesel disc had rubber springs,not steel ones!..I put all new parts in,even though I could have gotten away with just a disc--Pep Boys had a whole clutch kit for 90 bucks!..putting it in sucked big time,firt FWD I ever did alone..had to have a friend help get the tranny back in,despite being small and not much heavier than a lawn tractor transaxle..allen head bolts on everything on that car too!(that someone else boggered up already!)..

I drove it until 2002,when I decided to sell it--the timing belt snapped one day while I had left it idling outside--I replaced it and it still ran,but I could tell the valves got wounded,it didn't have the same pep and it ticked sometimes--a VW guy told me I'd probably get a few thousand more miles out of it and a valve would drop its head into the combustion chamber--so I reluctantly sold it to a friend at a junkyard,it needed all 4 struts,exhaust system,etc too--got my 100 bucks back..found out it was sold to a foriener the next day for 500 bucks!..I felt pretty stupid..then I saw what ones worse than mine sell for on CL and I regretted selling it--its body was 100% solid and rust free,no other 1986 anything here I've ever seen had a cleaner undercarriage!..

I dont know what VW uses for undercoating,it looks like melted trash bags,but it does WORK..I know I'd still be driving it today had I not sold it--still steered like a new car,even with 252,000 on it when I sold it..it consistently got 45-52 mpg too!..in the winter it was cheaper to ride around in it all day,than sitting in my shop with the oil furnace going,and warmer too!..

I have wanted to get another one,I keep my eyes open--but they are scarce for the price I paid for mine,even 500-1000 is "cheap" for one here,even an older 80's model..

But my friend at his used car lot recently got a "New Beetle" diesel,with 200 on it,a 2001,with one fender ripped off and slight rear 1/4 damage--wants 2500 for it "fixed"..wish I had the cash,but I sat in it,and I dont fit so well in it,my Jetta was no problem..I'm 6'5" tall,and the Beetle seems cramped compared to the Jetta,despite being built on the same platform..

I still ave one diesel,my '82 GMC pickup with a 6.2--not their best diesel,but I like it,it plows like a bulldozer compared to several V8 trucks I have owned previously..I thought I'd hate that diesel smell,but you know,it grows on ya!..it only stinks when you pull up behind another diesel!--your own smells OK,kinda like your own farts compared to someone elses.. :)

I had an '86 Turbo jetta last that my wife wrecked 2 winters ago. Side and rear damage. Car still ran fine. Got $800 for it undriveable. Guy from Chicopee Ma. came and got it with a flatbed trailer. Only wanted the engine/trans. I guess the TD's that early were rare. My '90 is nice as it has PS, tilt wheel and a sunroof, interior is mint too. Your right about the undercoating, all 3 of my cars '85,'86 (including the current one were/are rust free and have been in NE their whole life. My current one came from NH! VW must have a secret brew.

MU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts