My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember this mower,although not a tractor. I got this about 20 years ago from a family friend,and can find nothing in the google search other than the vollrath company is famous for making cookware and a couple million G.I. canteens in ww 2. I was told by the original owner he bought it in 1954. Any help would be appreciated. Btw it has a clinton 2 1/2 h.p. engine

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That looks like the one that dude restored and had all those parts chromed on it. It was beeyooteeful. I wonder if that was a Vollrath. Looks a lot like this one.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
That looks like the one that dude restored and had all those parts chromed on it. It was beeyooteeful. I wonder if that was a Vollrath. Looks a lot like this one.
Actually, other than being a rotary mower, it looks nothing like the other one you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yeah, you're right. I'm an idiot. What was I thinking? :thanku:

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
the v part of the deck, its like they sorta borrowed from the 'vette at the time.....(lines,styling)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew it reminded me of something, a 1955 vette,I wish the original owner was still around, and if he bought this at western auto supply.I would love to get a magazine ad for this thing .Runs great an will low idle about 250, rpm it's just fun to watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
nice pic, resto the mower in the same paint &trim would look phenominal

·
Registered
2 Posts
wow!!!, i'm not the only one on earth to own an example of this rare "thing". At first look, the front wheels seems to be not original... they should be smaller and "inside" the fenders (if my vollrath is original). This add to the "futur-o-matic" look... My "bat-mower" have an electric motor but i don't know if it was sold as is. Nice one! keep it alive!...:thThumbsU

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
I knew it reminded me of something, a 1955 vette,I wish the original owner was still around, and if he bought this at western auto supply.I would love to get a magazine ad for this thing .Runs great an will low idle about 250, rpm it's just fun to watch.
wow the resemblance is striking,if somehow we found out this mower was made by GM i would not be surprised at all! and i thought is was odd seeing a refrigerator and stove made by GM too!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The little bit I read online about Vollrath, if it's the same one, they were sort of pioneers in the food service industry, and like you found out, during WWII made a lot of canteens and other such things for the military. One thing I found was that Vollrath has a subsidiary company, Luitnick Manufacturing.
http://www.luitink.com/
This is from their web site;
INDUSTRIES SERVED
(not limted to)
Foodservice
Beverage Dispenser
Water Purification
Medical
Dental
Bio-Technology Equipment
Ultrasonic Lab Equipment
Home and Commercial
Appliances
Automotive
Electric Motor
Large Equipment
Manufacturing
Lawn & Garden
Recreational Vehicle
Agriculture
Telecommunications
Marine Products

So, maybe they were among lots of companies that made a lawn mowers back in the post war years when the GI's were coming home and suburbia was growing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts