My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can one tell if a PTO clutch is still good by looking at it when still in the tractor? The lining is so thin that it would seem that it is almost impossible to make a good determination.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Best I've done is to feel in there and feel the space between the cups and cone. Guess at best but if you have space, it'll run some more. It's much like buying a used one off Flea Bay.. a gamble!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what you are saying is that this clutch is likely still good?

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
At that point the unknown is if the clutch will disengage. Equally as bad as one that is worn out is one that won't come out. I was told by one of the former Gravely Elves from Clemmons of one in the area that had been stuck for over 10 years and was still used regularly for mowing. I'd have thought it would free up by now but it apparently hasn't!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is stuck engaged then it will never wear out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.