My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm from Western KY, fisherman, an avid tinkerer, amatuer small engine repairman, volunteer firefighter and jack of all trades-master of none. Recently an elderly gentleman in the neighborhood gave my youngest son a Gravely 812 Lawn Tractor. It runs great and the engine was completely rebuilt before he gave it to my son. Back in March my son and I completely dismantled the machine and we are restoring it back to it's orginal granduer. The machine is a marvel to the mechanical world and with every bolt and nut I'm amazed at the craftsmanship that went into this beast of a tractor. The only thing that is wrong with it is the PTO does not work. It did not come with any implements or a mower deck as the previous owner sold those off. There are a couple of parts that I need and can't find. One is the muffler pipe. It used to have pipe fittings but I want it back to original. Does anyone have a muffler pipe for a Kohler K301 that works for the Gravely 812?

Attachments

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Welcome to MTF. Glad to have you aboard. I can't help you with the pipe, but someone here may be able to help with locating one. Good luck with the restoration.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great site and a lot of very knowledgeable people here to answer your questions. Very glad to see you and your son restoring this tractor together, great father and son project. Teach him everything you can and let him get his hands dirty.

Have you tried your local Kohler dealer, can't remember if the exhaust header pipe was a Gravely part or a Kohler part. It will be expensive. I went to 1" schedule 80 screw pipe header with a pepper pot mufler on my 810.

BUD

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info regarding the muffler pipe. I think it is a Gravely part. I was thinking of using and bending a 1" piece of rigid conduit, but I would need to procure the football mounting bracket to the head. If I had a source for the part I would just buy it.

Donnie

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm from Western KY, fisherman, an avid tinkerer, amatuer small engine repairman, volunteer firefighter and jack of all trades-master of none. Recently an elderly gentleman in the neighborhood gave my youngest son a Gravely 812 Lawn Tractor. It runs great and the engine was completely rebuilt before he gave it to my son. Back in March my son and I completely dismantled the machine and we are restoring it back to it's orginal granduer. The machine is a marvel to the mechanical world and with every bolt and nut I'm amazed at the craftsmanship that went into this beast of a tractor. The only thing that is wrong with it is the PTO does not work. It did not come with any implements or a mower deck as the previous owner sold those off. There are a couple of parts that I need and can't find. One is the muffler pipe. It used to have pipe fittings but I want it back to original. Does anyone have a muffler pipe for a Kohler K301 that works for the Gravely 812?
Hello fellow firefighter. I just retired 2 years ago from Indianapolis FD. I too bass fish and for many years (probably more than 30) fished tournaments about 10 to 12 times a year but beware. I got into working on Gravelys a year ago and my fishing has dropped of significantly. Shoot, I can buy all of the odd and end parts to get a non running Gravely running for the cost of tournament entry fee, fuel and motel. Actually I can buy a running Gravley for each tournament. Glad you joined and keep us updated.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Welcome to the board and congratulations on the tractor. Good for you for restoring the machine. You won't be sorry once you get some implements and get it to work for you. :fing32:

I'm a walk behind guy myself, so I can't really help you with the parts, but there are lots of rider experts here that will walk you right through it.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Do you have a source for the muffler pipe where I can buy it?

Donnie
:MTF_wel2: As for the part, any Gravely dealer can order you one.Part # 19492 now is:

Ariens Service Part Availability
Part Number: 20279700 HEADER,EXHAUST Product ID: GRAVELY
Qty Required: 1 Qty Available: 20 +
List Price $: 83.75 USD

Discount Code: Stocking Code: 4 Service Status: Standard Pack:

Location Available
DS-JASPER 20 +

Richard's Lawn and Garden is who I suggest, www.gravelyparts.com .
Or you can order thru us @www.homesteadmower.com .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank you to everyone for the "welcome aboard". My son and I have had such a great time with this tractor. It's been alot of hard work but very enjoyable. I will post some more pictures of our project Gravely 812.

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
That's looking pretty sharp. Can we get a pic of the engine with paint? Keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's looking pretty sharp. Can we get a pic of the engine with paint? Keep the pics coming!
Here are some after paint pics. I've never painted anything other than with a brush till this project. I set my shop up to paint with a professional gun and used high quality automotive paint. Everything was completely stripped down to bare metal, primered, and painted. My fourteen year old son in the pic is the proud owner of this iron horse. He can't wait to have it running again.

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
You learn fast. Great to see the young man turning a wrench too. Must be rewarding to tackle a project with your son.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That looks very good. Keep the photos coming! :fing32:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts