My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking on picking up one of these Systemdek IIX turntables.... AGAIN. I had one back in the early 90s and made the mistake of selling it in favor of a pioneer automatic table and have always regretted it. One has popped up on kijiji and Im very seriously considering going to look at it tomorrow. It has an Alphason Opal tonearm, Ortofon moving coil cartridge and Clear Audio MC pre-amp.

The table is fully manual, to select 33 or 45 you have to move the belt(I dont own any 45s), it doesnt even lift the needle at the end of an album but you can add a small device that will do that for you, I had one on my last Systemdek. The platter is plate glass, the base is real wood and the only button on it is a power switch.... its all about eliminating vibration. If you google the top ten turntables ever made the Systemdek is often included.

The first pic is from the net and has the same tonearm that my original table had and shows the glass platter, second pic is from the ad.

I probably shouldnt buy it.... but I WANT IT.LOL

Attachments

·
3,181 Posts
Doo eet. :D

I have a Thorens TD 321 with an SME 3009 arm and Denon DL-110 cartridge. Does OK... gotta be careful because the upgrade trail is long and paved in cash...

Nothing beats vinyl done right.

:trink39:

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Not so audiophilic, I have Dual 1215 I bought while in HK or Singapura. I have no idea of how 'vibration free' it is, but know that my ears are too worn out to detect much of the imperfections any more. I still like it for its simple look, and have no desire to spend more moolah on something my spouse will not appreciate. She does let me do tractor/garden stuff, so I don't mind so much. This stuff, along with a Sansui 4-channel receiver and some SP2500's are my net from Subic that I still have hung onto. Won't let this stuff go until I do.
tom

·
3,181 Posts
Those old Sansui amps are near bulletproof, very cool stuff.

FWIW in the analogue department I also still use cassette tapes... Not plug 'n play like CDs just as turntables aren't, maybe that's why I find it so satisfying.

Yes I'm old... :tango_face_glasses:

·
We're all friends here
14,338 Posts
I have a Garrard Zero92 from the early 70's buried in the basement somewhere. I keep it just in case I want to play our vinyl records, which are also buried, someday. :rolleyes:

Lance, I have found that if I like it, and I want it, and I can afford it, I buy it. :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest, Im sure I cant hear the imperfections like I used to either but I do still enjoy the vinyl experience, and even the wife isnt trying to talk me out of it this time, she didnt approve of the high end stereo 30 years ago but it didnt take too long until she got onboard, I just had to spin a little Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot;)

What got me going in this direction was talking with a friend whois looking for some older hifi equipment to refurbish a couple old cabinet stereos so we were checkin kijiji and Dual or Thorens are both high on my list of recommendations but then this Systemdek showed up a couple days ago.

the rest of the system....

Quad 44 preamp with two Quad 405 amps, Teac VRDS-10 disc player, Rotel RD-945AX cassette deck, Technics ST-S16 tuner, and Vandersteen Model 3 speakers.

·
3,181 Posts
Excellent. :trink39:

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im having some fun with this, kinda like seeing an old friend from the past... get up a 6am, make a coffee/baileys, spin a favorite album... and CRANK IT... gotta luv country life;)

Since I dont really know the history of this cartridge I plan to replace it with a new relatively low budget MM cartridge and run it with that for a bit. Assuming all goes well I'll look into a new MC cartridge and preamp. Moving coil cartridges are very accurate but they have a lower output than a moving coil cartridge so they require an extra pre-amp gain device.

Attachments

·
We're all friends here
14,338 Posts
What genre(s) are your old records? Mine are 33's, mostly 60's/70's pop and rock, pop 45's from the 60's, and 78's from the Swing era that were my parents'.

·
Premium Member
9,531 Posts
Beautiful system! You're making me want to get my AR ES-1 turntable out of the basement!

As far as vintage goes, both of my David Hafler 110 power amps have failed, and I'm using an old Carver M400t to drive the main channels of my home theater system.

I was just given a set of Advent tower speakers that I'm going to mate with a Harmon Kardon receiver for the new sun porch.

Oh, now to add a new tech question. My son gave me a Google Home Mini for Christmas and he said there may be an adapter to connect the GH to a receiver? The HK would have to be hard wired but my Onkyo 717 AV receiver has wifi. Anyone know what I need?

·
3,181 Posts
...Assuming all goes well I'll look into a new MC cartridge and preamp. Moving coil cartridges are very accurate but they have a lower output than a moving coil cartridge so they require an extra pre-amp gain device.
Try mine: Denon DL-110

High output MC, works great with a MM phono stage. 20~45kHz response.

Can be had for less on Amazon. :kens:

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I listen to just about anything except opera, classic blues would be my top pic, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Howlin Wolf, JJ Cale, followed by 70s and 80s rock, Atomic Rooster, Nazareth, J Giles, Uriah Heep.... everything from Liona Boyd to the Phil Harmonic Orchestra. In my younger days I was a bit of a musician myself but I dont play much now, guitar, saxaphone, keyboards.

Didnt know there was high output MCs now adays so I'll have to look into that, it might serve well until I decide on some high end upgrades, eventually I want this Systemdek built above the level my last one was... but I'll need to sell a few tractors and save some $$$ before I jump into that pit... for now a $300-$400 cartridge(MM or MC) will allow me to test out the table and tonearm... and do some research, I havent been in a hifi shop in 20 years Im sure so I have no idea whats available now.

·
3,181 Posts
Get ready for some $ticker $hock... that said for pretty reasonable you can have gear that really surpasses expectations.

Ever check Audiogon? Like e-bay for hi-fi, good people, good deals.

Your playlist sounds a lot like mine. No opera, no rap... good with just about everything else.

Currently got some Patricia Barber on. 'Companion'. Good stuff.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just lookin online a bit the last few days it doesnt seem like prices have really gotten too crazy.... if I remember right I believe I had near 3K invested in the first Systemdek 30 years ago... but that was all new equipment at the time, now Im starting out with a used table and tonearm so I might be able to get better quality at lower cost in the end even if I spend a $1000 on a cartridge.

·
3,181 Posts
What if you spent $14,000?

CARTRIDGES ? Koetsu USA

:14_6_5:

Very nice stuff is very nice... however. Back in the young days I spent way too much. Couldn't stop, it was a sickness.

These days and with my older ears I find myself enjoying the music regardless... of course Some Fidelity is much enjoyed. I rarely have time to sit parked in 'the sweet spot' just listening, so what I really appreciate is nice tone and dynamics that I can dig while I'm moving around.

I do have an excellent system in my truck that is fully time-aligned and tuned to the nines, so I enjoy what amounts to some real nice near field sound when I'm on the road. Laura Fygi sharing the air late at night... I've had to remind myself to pay attention to the road, more than once...

·
3,181 Posts
Somewhat related, although not strictly vintage and clearly not turntable... tubes.

Several years ago I built a small pre/main with my son.

Just 2W/channel out of the pair of 6BM8s but it lights up those baby Focals real nice. He later absconded with those... couldn't fault him, turned a blind eye. ;)

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont recall the brand name now but back when I was amp shopping 30 years ago I heard an 11watt per side tube amp that I would have liked to bring home.... but it was nearly 10K and I didnt have that kind of budget. It was hooked up to a pair of Vandersteen model 2 speakers and made for an amazing system with such big full sound that it was hard to believe it was only 11 watts.

I went with the Quad 405-2 because I could start with one amp running 80w per side and then add a second amp later to run 160w per side, one amp to each speaker. The Quads dont have tubes but they are class 'AB' amps which have a warm sound thats usually only found in pure class 'A' tube amps. Once I had bought the second 405-2 I upgraded the speakers from Celestion SL6 to the Vandersteen Model 3.

At one point tho I was short on $$$ and decided to sell the original Systemdek IIX turntable and bought a Pioneer PL514... which is a decent table but still was the weak link in the system so when I spotted this Systemdek on kijiji I had to have it.

startin out the day in that 'sweet spot' with a little Black Oak Arkansas;)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Very nice equipment that puts mine to shame...

In the past...70's was a Sansui integrated amp, a Pioneer tuner, a Dual turntable, Teac reel to reel and Altec Lansing speakers. the 80's brought an NAD receiver, Nakamichi and Akai 3 head cassette decks, the same Dual turntable, and a Sony CD player playing through EPI (and later, Klipsch Forte II speakers. the 90's brought an SVS subwoofer into the picture, Proton amplifiers and a Denon CD player.

Now I have classic John Curl designed Parasound amps all around (7 channels), an Oppo multi-disc player, a highly modified Sony XDR-F1HD tuner, the same Dual turntable with factory tonearm and an inexpensive Ortofon cartridge (MM), an Emotiva XMC-1 pre-pro, 3 Behringer 20 band fully parametric EQs helping to tame the room for my 3 Rythmik F25s, Axiom M80 mains with matching center and 4 Axiom QS8 surrounds.

My entire current system pales in comparison to what you guys have!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts