My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vintage Deere, gas tow-behind Sprayer 5B (Briggs motor)

I am wondering if this is worth the effort. It is nearby, so I thought I'd engage the experts before I went to check it out.

Does it look complete? What should I know before I buy it?

Sprayer 1.jpg Sprayer 2.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just curious what they are asking for it? I am trying to sell my 5B sprayer as well. Here are some pics of mine. Looks like that one is missing the boom assembly. Mine was made between 1971 and 1987 so yours is at least a 1970 or later. 1369085901263.jpg 1369085914760.jpg

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Wow! I don't know much about it, but I like it! It looks like the Model 5B Sprayer.

How much?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, it is the newer model.(read previous post) I put mine on craigslist and on here for $450. Don't really know what its worth? Just seen one on ebay for the same price in non running condition so I figured I would start there. It was my grandfathers and he is gone so I cannot ask him all the particulars about it.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Yes, it is the newer model.(read previous post) I put mine on craigslist and on here for $450. Don't really know what its worth? Just seen one on ebay for the same price in non running condition so I figured I would start there. It was my grandfathers and he is gone so I cannot ask him all the particulars about it.

Roger, thanks for the info.

Looking closer at snakemed's photos, I can see the "5B" faintly on the back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Does anyone have any idea what they are worth? I have only seen one like mine on ebay?

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Re: Vintage Deere, gas tow-behind Sprayer 5B (Briggs motor)

Blue123, maybe you can start another thread? Your questions seem to be specific to a different vintage of the same (or similar) sprayer model, as you point out, so I think we'd both be better served with separate threads. Agree?

All, I am looking for information specific to the model in the first post. Based upon the posts above and some internet searches, it seems to be missing the boom assembly and maybe the wand as well. Are these available, or could I retrofit with newer Deere assemblies maybe?

Thanks in advance...

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Me too! I have a need for one. Since I like the looks of this model, I'm thinking why get a newer version, of this works? Hence my questions. Assuming the right value, I could justify some repairs and restoration expenses. I want to arrive "armed" with knowledge to negotiate with though.

Wow! I don't know much about it, but I like it! It looks like the Model 5B Sprayer.

How much?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry snake, I wasn't trying to poop on your thread. I believe the two models are identical except for the tank from what I can tell. If you need some close up pics of mine let me know! Sorry again.

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

No need to apologize. Just looking to refine the responses. Thanks for understanding...

Sorry snake, I wasn't trying to poop on your thread. I believe the two models are identical except for the tank from what I can tell. If you need some close up pics of mine let me know! Sorry again.

·
That Guy
1,160 Posts
Not to mention if you start your own thread you're more likely to get an answer specific to your question!

Wish I could help you snakemed, but this thread is the first of these I have ever seen, but I would think picking it up and restoring it would be worth it just for the 'cool' factor!

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are these things that rare? Not many comments and few with added information. I did find a previous thread (fredrader) where one was picked up for $50 bucks... I'd buy it for that in a hurry.

1. Can spray boom replacement parts be found?
2. Can spray boom replacement parts be found?
3. How old might it be?

Somebody out there must be able to add some more details. Thanks in advance.

·
Outlaw Tractor Collector
2,886 Posts
Spray boom parts are easily found at TSC (Tractor Supply) and while they may not be exact same matches to the origanal they work just as good infact probably better. The boom looks like it may just be a peice of pipe held on with U bolts. Very simple setup and all the parts can be found at Tractor Supply or probably any other arigulture style box store

·
Outlaw Tractor Collector
2,886 Posts
Id say there fairly rare but I am no expert. As is I would ask $125 for it if it were mine and Id also buy one like that for $125 I mean its cool and it has a gas engine and its vintage and made to last i mean its still around nowdays

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi,

I also think it's pretty cool!

Rare-maybe, but that doesn't necessarily make it worth a lot of money!
As mentioned, buy replacemnt parts at TSC or other farm stores and use it.

Chuck

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As some of you are suggesting, I'd want to use it if I bought it. I would be adding a sprayer boom, either with parts (assemblies) I can find or with modern replacements.

It might be a "collector piece", but it would also be a "working tool" at my house. Without getting into specifics, the current owner wants substantially more money than is being suggested by anyone here in this thread so far (I have some negotiating to do).

Sprayers are pricey in general, and by the time I add a sprayer boom and make a few repairs, I could be into it $450 - $550, or more.

It wouldn't be something I could resell for that price, I don't think. Do you?

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Cool" does seem to be the common thought... I think so too, which is why I started this thread. :fing02:

If I end up with it, I will post more pictures and any info I can learn about them, as there doesn't seem to be much to be found.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts