My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Husqvarna R322T, JD 990, Poulan Pro
146 Posts
I don’t get it. The ProMac 55 McCulloch I bought in 1971 is still running great. 6 or 7 bars, countless chains later and about a thousand cords of maple and oak along with thousands of board feet of logs of fir, pine, spruce and black cherry and it ain't hanging on a shed roof....

·
Super Moderator
16,487 Posts
Likin' those old chainsaws, but I am loving those chainsaw signs! Wow. Those are suh-weeeeet!

·
Registered
736 Posts
The ProMac 55 McCulloch I bought in 1971 is still running great.
That's great service from your Mac, but I don't see anything much newer than the 1950's hanging there, and most of those are two-man or He-man saws that you would have been glad to retire when the new generation multi-position aluminum alloy saws came out - starting with the revolutionary Homelite XL-12.
Great collection! And I'll bet many of them would still run.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh no...make it go away....I'd be arrested trying to smuggle as much of that out as possible :oops:

Reactions: Reziac

·
Registered
481 Posts
Are those old printing presses in the photo - photo offset, or is that some kind of planer/surfacer for wood?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I don’t get it. The ProMac 55 McCulloch I bought in 1971 is still running great. 6 or 7 bars, countless chains later and about a thousand cords of maple and oak along with thousands of board feet of logs of fir, pine, spruce and black cherry and it ain't hanging on a shed roof....
Mine don't hang on the roof, they relax on Redwood shelves. The Homelite Super 1050 my Dad bought brand new still runs and most of my 90+CC big saws I keep running. But, when it comes to daily use, my 3 newer Stihls get all the use, a 660, MS 290, and MS 170. I love my old saws with stack mufflers, virtually open headers. But I have a hard time using buttons from the nerve damage in my hands from the vibration of the old ones, and I can't hear for beans. On top of that, it's really hard to keep just ten saws in good running condition, and I have over 70 all together.

·
Registered
2013 Husqvarna R322T, JD 990, Poulan Pro
146 Posts
I find the biggest threat to keeping my old saw running is parts availability. I needed the chain brake and ignition parts for the ProMac 55. An ex-dealer I took it to said no-luck but then like a miracle he got the exact same saw donated with a broken frame. I got the parts and have been good to go for about 6 years! I do hear you on the vibration and hearing although I got hearing protection when I got the saw. It wasn’t as good as today but I did wear it all the time and I can still hear! Well, sort of.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Those are sweet. We need a good contact in Canada. I'll bet their are bookoo's of Pioneer parts in the Great White North.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts