My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first is some berries that need pruning at the end of a vineyard row. They aren't as bad as some that I have been doing. The second is the third row that I am doing. They are around 150' long. I'm hoping to finish tomorrow. It was he!! this afternoon the way the wind was blowing them around. They have thorns that will eat you alive. When they are done I'll start on the grapes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On the top right hand corner of the second picture is the first short row of grapes. There are four of them. Some time about a week ago I started pruning that row. I only had two vines to go when interrupted. Between weather and other things I finally finished it. I got the next two rows done also. Now I need to keep after them. The buds are starting to swell early with all of this early warm weather.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The berries look better now. They still need some work. No hurry at the moment.

I finally remembered the camera the last trip out to the vineyard this afternoon. I got more done today than expected. I'm about 1/3 done now. If things go well tomorrow I'll knock another 1/3 out. I have to come in and spend time in my recliner more often with my spine problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finished pruning late this afternoon. I stayed on my feet too long a couple of times trying to beat the rain. I took breaks during the showers. The ground was getting mushy, but I managed to finish.

The grapes are Champanel. After trying 20 different varieties that is the only one that doesn't need fungicides every 2 weeks or less.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I hear ya on the fungi... last year was my first in about 5 that I had to worry about it. I'm sure this year I will have my hands full as well.

roughly how old are your grapevines? they seem fairly stocky & look fairly matured

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I've been able to find, they are only good down to zero. Still need to shine up the plates in the planter. No hurry since everything is soggy this year. We've had almost 12" of rain this year. 5.7" just this month.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The blackberries are looking good this year. There are some berries that have set. There are some blanks that didn't get pollinated on rainy days. I'm will have to mow them one more time before it gets dry enough to till them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally took some time to get in the vineyard today. I had to fix some of the braces on the end posts. Somehow the don't stay in place sometimes when I hit them with the lawnmower. I finished mowing since I got rained out the other day. The darn sand spurs were getting 6" tall. It looks like clover but isn't. The seeds are round with barbs. They look like little land mines.

There are a lot of bunches of grapes that are blossoming. The next this is if the berries set. The blackberries are doing great. Haven't had time to come in and get the camera. They won't go anywhere in the next few days.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The blackberries are hard to see in the 4th pic. I guess I need to try mid day. The 2nd and 3rd are grape bunches. I'd like to get in and til but have some posts and wire to replace first.

I had to edit because the pictures came up in the wrong order.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Late this afternoon I decided not to believe the weather forecast for a lot of rain tomorrow and Monday. I started my 4" well and watered 2 rows of berries. A lot of them are turning pink and red. They need the water now. This also watered most of my orange trees.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was out in the vineyard for a couple of hours late today. After looking at the picture from 6 days ago, it is hard to believe how much growth that has happened since then. It has grown out enough to make it hard to get close with the tractor and tiller. It was also nice standing on wet ground that I hadn't pumped water on.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The grapes and blackberries seem to be at least 3 weeks early this year. I could have gotten better grape pictures, but it was close to dark and these were near where I was taking pictures. For some reason it doesn't matter what time of day, the berry pics don't seem to turn out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked 4.5 quarts of berries Friday morning. I need to pick again tomorrow morning. I pumped water on them Sat. and Sunday. They take a lot when getting ripe.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just finished the 3rd picking. I picked 5 gallons yesterday and 2 today. All are sold plus 1 gallon out of the freezer. I have orders for 4 more gallons. Tomorrow late in the afternoon and Friday morning pickings will be for the market Sat. Last Sat. I can't remember if it was 5.5 gallons or 6.5 that I sold. Everything is running together lately. I was out before noon and could have sold more. This time I'll take the ones from the freezer.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Three gallons and one quart today. I was thinking of expanding the berrie patch. I think it best to just take good care of these. I am getting tired of picking berries. I do like the money though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.