My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
It annoys me that premium traditional American brands (Danner, Chippewa, Red Wing) have offerings in the $200 range that are made in China. It simply annoys me.
Remember, smart phones and other premium electronics are made in China too. The Chinese can make great quality stuff, as long as they are paid to use or are given good quality materials. I know plenty of my friends with "China-Chips" that hold up well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Remember, smart phones and other premium electronics are made in China too. The Chinese can make great quality stuff, as long as they are paid to use or are given good quality materials. I know plenty of my friends with "China-Chips" that hold up well.

When I pay a premium price to an American company I expect American workers. We are not discussing boots in a "value" based category.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well here is a review so far after wearing them everyday since buying them. I used them when cleaning snow on Friday, then I was at a consignment auction on Saturday. First part of the day was standing on hard pack snow and ice, followed by a major mudfest as the snow melted quickly.

The traction was great, they dug in real good on both snow and mud. Granted they are new boots, but I have had some bad new tread in the past. They are waterproof (wound up standing in 6" of water at spots on Sat.). I know some people had said about getting cold feet due to the steel toes, but I did not have that problem, in fact Friday while cleaning snow, my feet started to sweat and I only had regular socks on. I was running a snowblower all night so I was only in a truck going from site to site.

On a side note, after doing some research, I found out that these are possibly made by Redwing, but in their China factory. I found an article from a few years back that said Sears and Redwing teamed up to do the Craftsman line of boots. Initially they were to be made in the USA and have a small Redwing tag on them, but thats not the case now so I can only guess they are made by Redwing still.

·
Professional Amateur
1,269 Posts
Sounds like you got a pretty good pair of boots. Come to think of it, I had a pair of Red Wings that had a Craftsman emblem on it, they were good boots, the only thing I hated about them that none of my others did was the soles would rub on my sock and pull out when I took them off. I think you have a different pair though. Hope they stay good and not go bad later (abnormally quickly I mean).

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
When I pay a premium price to an American company I expect American workers. We are not discussing boots in a "value" based category.
Apple is an American company, and their $3000+ computers are still made in China. Thats not a "value" product either

·
Registered
111 Posts
Apple is an American company, and their $3000+ computers are still made in China. Thats not a "value" product either
Truth. But in a way you are comparing apples to oranges. If I decide I like the Apple operating system I cannot go out and buy a product that uses it made in the US.

:sidelaugh Apples to oranges. See what I did there?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
I see your point :fing32:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
lol you guys are doing good to get that long out of boots, for me 6-9 months for redwings, 6 months for carolinas, timberland pros just a joke and pure waste of money, i got 2 months out of them before the seams started separating and yes it is expensive but what do you do? the most durable i have found for me are the Schmidt pull on from tractor supply, not as comfortable as the tim pros but the most durable for me. i have gotten almost a year out of these, still waterproof still holding up. now i am 6'2" 230 i work outside (powerlines) i am on my feet all day. i spend most of the day on asphalt walking back and forth up and down on the trucks walking on the catwalks, walking sometimes through the woods, digging holes. i am outside for all 4 seasons at my job. rain or shine. hot or cold. i put my shoes clothes etc through the works. i don't climb poles anymore so i don't have the steel shank in my boot, for those wondering, thats what the steel shank is for ( climbing support). don't buy steel toes if you don't need them but i do recommend buying composite toes,(plastic safety toe) reason i say this is because if and i hope it never happens, is if you were to get your toes smashed with a steel toe boot you cannot remove the boot, this is worst case scenario, if it is severely smashed as where a composite toe will release and go back somewhat. also steel toes are colder in the winter.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
lol you guys are doing good to get that long out of boots, for me 6-9 months for redwings, 6 months for carolinas, timberland pros just a joke and pure waste of money, i got 2 months out of them before the seams started separating and yes it is expensive but what do you do? the most durable i have found for me are the Schmidt pull on from tractor supply, not as comfortable as the tim pros but the most durable for me. i have gotten almost a year out of these, still waterproof still holding up. now i am 6'2" 230 i work outside (powerlines) i am on my feet all day. i spend most of the day on asphalt walking back and forth up and down on the trucks walking on the catwalks, walking sometimes through the woods, digging holes. i am outside for all 4 seasons at my job. rain or shine. hot or cold. i put my shoes clothes etc through the works. i don't climb poles anymore so i don't have the steel shank in my boot, for those wondering, thats what the steel shank is for ( climbing support). don't buy steel toes if you don't need them but i do recommend buying composite toes,(plastic safety toe) reason i say this is because if and i hope it never happens, is if you were to get your toes smashed with a steel toe boot you cannot remove the boot, this is worst case scenario, if it is severely smashed as where a composite toe will release and go back somewhat. also steel toes are colder in the winter.
Ever tried a Chippewa lineman boot?

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
I agree on the steel toes.. worked at a place that required them.. we had fork lift travel lanes marked out on the floor.. had one driver goin pedel to the metal on one in the walkin lane.. fork lifts had the hard rubber tires.. didn't see him till it was too late.. he ran over my boot.. smashed the steel toe.. it cut the top of my foot too.. no bones broke but sure was sore for a week.. they had to cut the boot off my foot.. driver was fired instantly when they got him stopped..

OOHH.. I was a pole climber in my younger years too

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
OOHH.. I was a pole climber in my younger years too
:ditto: Me too!:howdy::fing32:

Attachments

·
15,241 Posts
:ditto: Me too!:howdy::fing32:
I did a lotta 69,000 volt stuff energized.. all 'hot stick' stuff.. then some new 115,900 lines too

Reactions: Barbosa

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
just bought another set of Wolverine pull on boots. same as the pair i am wearing now. they have worn well....the soles have worn very well and have good traction. and they are insulated so no more cold feet!

only thing is....since i got these terrible foot odor....:sidelaugh not kidding make the dog sick smell:hide:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I never got to do any hotstick work when i spent a year on transmission mainly have always been on the distribution side of power lines I did spend a month in a substation but that I didn't care for. But my career as a lineman in training was ended early because of my legs. I am still in the trade just I am an operator, nccco certfied.

·
15,241 Posts
back durin WWII dad got drafted.. I was just a wee kid then.. a 'war' baby.. anyway when he showed up at draft place they sent him back home cause he was a lineman for the telephone Co. I took up the trade fresh outta high school.. worked for a contractor who built REA lines.. started as a groundman.. then the foreman let me try on his belt & hooks.. he said I was a 'natural' climber.. not afraid of heights & what I could do on a pole.. back at that time there was very few hyd 'bucket trucks'.. our company had only one.. a used one at that..

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I went to Tractor Supply's website and looked at a lot of the boots they sell,after reading nkaust's post--many reviews of the boots were not very encouraging as far as the quality--many customers told how the soles came off,cracked, or the leather uppers or stiching failed in short order,on not only the Schmidt brand,but several others like Georgia,Wolverine,Carolinas,it seems it is a crap shoot whether you'll get a pair that will last a year without falling apart..there seemed to be more unsatisfied customers than ones who raved about how good the boots were,no matter what the brand name..

I noticed some brands like Justin have a "1 year limited warranty"..I wonder how "limited" it is..?..I
can understand if your wearing the boots daily on a demanding job where they get exposed to fuels,chemicals,sharp objects,etc,that they cant be expected to hand out free replacements every few months--but the average Joe who uses them in "normal" conditions shouldn't have to fear they wont last a year at the least..

I feel if your going to have to spent 150+ bucks to get a "decent" pair of boots,they should last more than a few months to a year under typical use..
I'm sure most of them are made in China in some sweatshop,and it probably costs the manufacturer less than 20 bucks to make a pair of these boots...for the amount of profit they reap,they should just replace any boots free of charge if they fail in a short time...
Good shoes are a necessity,not a luxury..ditto for clothes like pants,etc..
I think it's disgusting that you have to pay that kind of money for a pair of boots that may well fail in about the same amount of time as a "cheap" pair from a box store..
Also you can't seem to buy a decent pair of dungarees for less than 40 bucks now,the "cheap" blue jeans rip like bed sheets,they are so thin,after a few washings..sometimes I think your better off looking in thrift stores or donation bins for "good" clothes that were made in the USA years ago,than buying anything "new"..

·
15,241 Posts
I buy all my boots & shoes from uncle Wally.. when I was a welder on my last job.. they would last me a year.. the weldin sparks did the damage to them even tho I had a home made toe protector to keep the sparks off them.. I usually pay tween 30-40 $$ a pair..

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I checked out the work boots at Walmart when I went there today to buy a tractor battery ...

They had Brahma boots,some Herman Survivors,(which I thought were NLA now,I guess not?),they had some "Dickies" and a few other brands..all were priced under 75 bucks which was a surprise..

I liked the Herman Survivors I had before,but the "Timber II" ones they sell now dont have stitches on the sole to the uppers any more,they are just glued on..
I'm not a fan of soles that are just held on with adhesives..

I decided to read the reviews on their web site tonight,and that took quite some time--from what I read there is a lot of people unhappy with just about every brand,no matter what the cost..seems no matter which boots they bought,it was a crap shoot as to whether they held up well or not.
Most of the ones that failed had soles that came right off or wore holes in them in short order--others had complaints of poor fits,not comfortable,or the eyelets or hooks for the laces cut the laces up or broke off...the boots rated most comfortable also seemed to be the ones that didn't hold up well..

So,I'm still undecided what to get...seeing the expensive boots seem to have just as many unfavorable reviews as the less costly Walmart ones, I guess you may as well buy the cheaper ones,and save the money...

We used to have a Knapp shoe factory a few towns away,you could go right to the factory and buy boots there,they had an "outlet" store..those lasted for years,and if you ever had a sole come off,etc,they stood behind them,and would either repair or replace them free of charge..sadly all the shoe factories and other industry here has all but dissapeared,all the jobs went overseas..and quality went in the toilet..
You don't see many cobblers in bussiness any more here either..

41 - 60 of 78 Posts