My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it should be here or in the tool reviews. But will post it here.

For the last few weeks I have been searching for new work boots since my old ones are worn out and no longer waterproof. I had gone to numerous shoe/boot stores and looked at lines like Bates (had them before, are ok, but I wear them out fast, except for this past pair) Red Wing, Carolina, Timberland, Cabelas, Wolverine, etc. I was not really happy with some of the prices or fits I was seeing, and the selection of colors and design was also a little lacking. Well today after visiting the Army & Navy store and striking out there, I decided to check out Sears since it was just down the road. Did not have high hopes at all, and when I first started looking, I kinda figured I was going to be going somewhere else.

Then I went around the end of the isle and into the next one and saw the Sears brands line ups (Die Hard, Roebuck & Co. and Craftsman). At first I was just going to skip over them, but then a few caught my eye. I got a pair of Craftsman steel toe and tried them on and they felt real good right out of the box. Walked around a little and they felt good. I looked over them again and they seemed to be good quality, and they were on sale for $99.99 so I brought them home.

This is the pair I bought.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-men-s-vadar-work-boot-black/p-067VA45923501P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

I will see how they hold up and post later on how they are doing. Some reviews on the sears site claim they fall apart quickly, but most of them are 4 or 5 star reviews.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
My first pair of decent boots was Carolina. Not a bad boot, but not a lot of material there. I am now on my second set of Chippewa Super Loggers and they are by far the best boots I have tried. I also have a pair of Timberland Pro's to wear so that I can make the Chips last longer. They arent cheap ($269 at Bob's stores) but Chippewa makes a great boot.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
steel toes shoes may save one or 2 of them.. but don't wear them outside in winter.. the steel will freeze ur toes off & u will not need to buy steel toes again...

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
steel toes shoes may save one or 2 of them.. but don't wear them outside in winter.. the steel will freeze ur toes off & u will not need to buy steel toes again...
I wear my steel toes year round and have never had issues. Just wear good socks :fing32:

·
requires supervision
658 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Nothing wrong but I did move your thread over to the review forums. If the tread doesn't stay active in Off Topic the forum software will archive the thread after 30 days.

I anxious to see how your boots hold up too. I've not tried the Craftsman boots before. I really like Caterpillar brand and they hold up pretty well. I didn't try them out in the cod and muck though. I wore them when I worked in a shop and wasn't out in the elements.

I have a pair of Bilt brand boots now. I think they're made by Georgia brands. They're steel toe and I think they have a light insulation too. I think they're comfortable and so far they're holding up well. I don't subject them to the same day to day tests that you guys face though. I'm a desk jockey now and only play weekend warrior around the property.

·
16,409 Posts
Thanks for moving the thread--DJ---I just saw it myself. I like reading other people's reviews and product descriptions....

I, myself, have narrow feet (A width)--so it is hard to find work boots in my size. I have been using Redwing for many years, and am fully satisfied.
Again--here--a lot depends on the store and the salesman, and what is in stock. I oil/polish mine mostly @ home, but I can go by any Redwing store, and they will apply fresh oil to protect the finish and a new pair of laces for free-While you wait!

:fing32:
More expensive, but I can get 4-5 years out of one pair. And to me--the oiling and laces are old fashioned services not offered much anywhere else.

That's all these folks do--they weren't selling lawn mowers or appliances yesterday-- Ya know??:hide:

glenn

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
No sweat Glenn. I just didn't want the thread to disappear.

That's oiling and laces are some things I didn't know about Redwing shoes. You're right, those kinds of services aren't around any more.

Now, I'll have to look around my area to see if there is a dealer. I kind of doubt it since we don't have the population.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,785 Posts
Good luck with your new boots Jere. (Kind of unusual to find another Jere anywhere, let alone on the same board, from the same state).
I wear Wolverine Durashox waterproof boots when I am working through the winter. These are not steel toed, and not insulated, but when I am working I find I don't need insulation. This pair is about shot, the waterproofing is no longer holding up and I've replaced the innersole a couple times, I like the Durashox innersole. I have not been able to find these shoes at my usual shoe store: Weavers in Fivepointville. Which disappoints me. I hate to find something I like, then not be able to find it again a couple years later when it's time to replace.

For hunting I have gone to a Carolina boot, full height and insulated. I typically move slower, or even stand in them. They are too bulky for working in, but plenty warm. I also wear them for plowing snow.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I really like my bates boots,but they do ware out a little fast. The plus side is they are made a few miles down the road so I can get them about 50-100$ cheaper at the factory store.

Bellville makes a super solid boot. I had the same pair of Bellville boots for my full 7 years in the Marines and I was Infantry... So that puts a **** of a beating on them.

I usually have 2 sets of bates rotating gortex ones for wet/spring/winter and normal ones for the rest of the year. I only wear a 8" boot for ankle support

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
My first pair of decent boots was Carolina. Not a bad boot, but not a lot of material there. I am now on my second set of Chippewa Super Loggers and they are by far the best boots I have tried. I also have a pair of Timberland Pro's to wear so that I can make the Chips last longer. They arent cheap ($269 at Bob's stores) but Chippewa makes a great boot.
These are great boots. You can send them in and get them rebuilt fairly reasonably here.
http://www.nushoe.com/chippewa-shoe-repair.html

I wore Chippewa boots when I worked in the shipyard which is a very tough environment. I would easily get three years out of them. All others mostly a year with the exception of red wings at about 2 years.
Yes, Chippewas are expensive. But when you're on your feet 12-16 hours a day they are worth it. The longest I wore mine non-stop was almost 40 hours and my feet felt great.
The other cheaper boots made my feet feel like I ran a full marathon barefoot over broken glass.
I'm going tomorrow to get another pair of Chippewas to replace my current pair.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I might have to check out some of these brands next time I need boots.

I go through a pair of boots in a season. I do landscaping, but nothing too bad, but I'm almost always doing something outside. Shoes don't last me long either, I'm just rough on footwear I guess.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,179 Posts
I go thru work boots pretty quickly...usually I get steel toed ones because I prefer not to have busted toes if I drop something or kick something...I dont seem to be bothered by the steel toes in winter as far as being cold..

I tend to look for "slightly used" boots at flea markets or thrift stores,because I balk at paying 100+ bucks for a pair of stupid shoes..to me,most are priced 2-3 times what they are worth..often I can score a decent pair that were barely worn for a low price..it's tough for a guy on a fixed income to afford a decent pair of "brand new" shoes,and bargain priced ones are usually crap that fall apart in a matter of months..

I've checked out a local discount store's stock of "genuine U.S. military boots",but they were not really a bargain,and after trying a few pairs on,I dont see how soldiers can stand wearing those things..most were "hot weather" ones with canvas type mesh along the uppers..they didn't have my size,so I passed on buying any of those...

I've had several pairs of boots from box stores like K-Mart (Route 66) ,those hold up for about 6 months,then the uppers will separate from the soles where your foot bends when you kneel down..others I've had like Kodiak will end up having the sole crack there and let water in,rendering them useless..Kodiak ones I had were heavy as cinder blocks and very uncomfortable too...Wolverine's are heavy too,but the ones I had did hold up well...

The "best" pair of work boots I've had lately was a pair of used Herman Survivors,I paid a whole dollar for them at a flea market,and they were like new still--had steel toes too..the guy said he gets a shoe allowance at work,and he didn't like how they felt...

I wore those a good 3 years,before the soles finally cracked and started to peel away,they are the only pair of boots I've had that the uppers didn't come unglued or un-stitched too...I could get some more wear out of them by using a pair of pull over "totes" on them I suppose--but even those cost 30+ bucks today!...
I doubt if there is any cobblers still around here,or if it'd be worth having new soles put on them..the inner lining is pretty worn out in places in them now..

Right now I'm using a pair of "WORX" Red Wings,that are their lower cost boots--they seem OK so far,they are comfortable,but I tend to think they'll be cracking the leather uppers not too long from now..

I got them several years ago as a gift and they sat in the box till a few weeks ago...for what Red Wings cost,they should have a free lifetime warranty in my opinion...

I also bought a pair of "Irish Setter" tall winter boots cheap,but one of them has the sole peeling away from the uppers already...made in China,but other than the sole ,they were holding up pretty good...I want to re-glue the sole on them..

I need to find some GOOD adhesive that is both strong and flexible,Sho-Goo used to be good,but lately it seems to harden too much ,not stay flexible,and tear away from the material..Gorilla Glue hardens like a rock,its no good for shoes,that need to remain flexible..
I have used Goodyear "Pliobond" before with decent results,but the store I get it from stopped selling it...A friend suggested using 3M Urethane intended for installing car windshields,he's used it on his work boots and says that stuff will never let go...

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,507 Posts
Good luck with the new boots, hope they give plenty of good service.

Redwings here. Like Glenn said, free cleaning, oiling and laces for life. Expensive, but I love them.

I had good service from Lehigh's also. My brother recommended them as they used them at his Perdue plant. Very good value.

I'm going to look into Chippewas, Don. You sound pretty impressed.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Ellis I usually go with the loggers and they are extremely comfortable. I get mine from Bobs stores and usually have a $50 off coupon so that takes some of the sting out of the price tag.
The pair of loggers I'm replacing tomorrow I've had for ten years, I've been out of the shipyard for the last eight.
I tried Lehighs while working at the shipyard, lasted about 9-12 months.

chaosracing,
Sorry for my bad manners. I hope the boots you got work out for you.

·
Premium Member
9,540 Posts
My work boots are a pair of Hermann Survivors that have outlasted the company by more than two decades. Similarly, my snow boots are a pair of Baffins, that company is still in business, but they haven't made these boots I like in more than 10 years. I'm not big on change.

·
Diesel Nut!
1,358 Posts
I have Carolina's and love em'! They are very comfortable, waterproof, warm when its cold out and cool when its hot, and best of all, they are idiot proof! I've also owned Caterpillar and wasn't a fan. I think i am going to go the Deere or Carolina route next time i need them.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Hope your new boots serve well.

I have 2 pair.
1 pair of Carolina logger type that stay up in NH at my Brothers. This way I never forget to bring them! They are not steel toe. Decent boot.
Second are Rocky's that a good friend of my Brother gave me. He did not like them. Steel toe and very comfortable. I like them best out of all I've tried.
I typically only wear boots when cutting wood. Other than that I'm in Clark shoes for work on sneakers.

Ok here's a picture of my well worn free Rocky's. Vibram soles.
MU

Attachments

1 - 20 of 78 Posts