My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Craftsman 42" 15hp lawn tractor for FREE! It runs good, trans works great, even has a bagger. The question is: the battery was dead so we jumped it via jump box and it fired right up. When we take the cables off though it dies. Most we have had in the past stay running if we pull the jump box cables off, even if there is no battery. Do you guys think it's just the battery or could it be something else? Thanks!

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
its more than likely just the battery, the engine probably has one of the anti-afterfire solenoids on the carb and with out a constant 12 volts it will shut off the flow of fuel through the carb.

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, just wanted to make sure and it does have one of those anit afterfire solenoids on there. We are going to try and give the battery a charge and hopefully it helps it. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
855 Posts
also check your grounds and other wiring...maybe test the battery in another tractor,too...i almost replaced the battery in my sabre til someone here told me to check the wiring...i unbolted all grounds and wire-brushed them...also found a wire in the seat switch was pinching in the deck lift lever...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts