My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had the fright of my life yesterday, i got a tractor stuck, so i hop on my tractor with newly mounted winch,i hook up,take up the slack and start my pull,the front end starts to rise,and before i know it im on the ground, tractor tilting backwards over top of me,i roll out of the way and CRRASH

half a second slower and i would probably be dead.i thank my luckey stars jesus was there that day.

i imediatly figured out why it happened, the winch sits about 6 or so inches above the axle, toally forgot about the "keep it below the axle" rule

but the good was there was only minor sheet metal damage and a broken steering wheel,(gotta love old iron) and it is all fixed already,today is remounting that winch

Crazyroper

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt! Even pulling from a point below the axle, with enough traction and not enough front weight, you can get the front end airborne.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Really glad your OK CrazyRoper,
- and thanks for sharing story, to make others aware of dangers involved - around tractors
(you lived up to your avatar name's prefix "crazy" - ha.ha)

Sometimes it pays to have "some luck" in your back pocket / just not your time, for a fatal accident.
- I fell off a 20 ft. drop enbankment, 35 years ago and landed flat on my back, on a level wood pile - missed a cutoff tree stump just a few feet away, when I was 16 years old. I was only slightly shaken with just the wind knocked out of me and got up and walked away. Not fatal and no broken back - walked away for another day.

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
Golden Rule - "he who has the gold, makes the rule"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Registered
451 Posts
Glad you are ok. Must not have had enough coffee cauz' I'm still trying to picture HOW he did it. I was wondering because I just bought a winch Friday....I do not want to do the same thing,since my tin-can tractor would probably fold right up! lol!

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
i don't quite understand what happened. did you have it in gear/tires spinning and basically end up doing a wheelie once the winch pulled you to solid ground?

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
623 Posts
Sounds like he fell off with the winch still in motion, change that switch with a rocker and all should be good.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the winch was hooked up to the tractor i was pulling and the tractor i fell of off of was going forward(witch i know you shouldnt do)

yeah it was in gear/tires spinning, that briggs engine runs so good it was still running upsidown.

·
22,749 Posts
Experience..........What you get for surviving your mistakes.

Glad you're alright. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
855 Posts
i did the same trying to pull a buick with a lawn tractor,but when my foot came off the pedal,it stopped and stood there on its 'hind legs'...i landed flat on my back...was kinda comical...wish i coulda seen it

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
get to live another day to get a tractor stuck

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Remember this. Jesus wants full custody. No just weekend visits:fing32: slkpk

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
boy you would think someone would come up with a mercury switch .when the trac gets to a certain height it would cut the power off.would save alot of trips to the cemetary.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
boy you would think someone would come up with a mercury switch .when the trac gets to a certain height it would cut the power off.would save alot of trips to the cemetary.
That is a really good idea. I have had a few close calls plowing with the 1050. Nearly went over backwards once just because I wasn't paying attention.

Jason

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
well....the Mercury switch might work ifin u could find one..... think the EPA has almost gotten a stop put on them switches now...

ALSO....don't they call them....FRONT end winches.....not REAR....???????????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts