My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never posted in this section before, have no pics, but you guys really impress me with a lot of the things you cook!

So, I'm on a mini-vacation (OK, 3-day weekend that was supposed to be longer, but life happens), with the family (wife and two young boys) and our camper.

Friday night, and last night, we had nice weather, so we did the campfire and smores with the boys, then sent them to bed while the fire burned down to a nice bed of coals. Perfect for my favorite camping meal: sausage, potatoes and onions wrapped in foil and tossed into the fire for cooking. I officially learned this method in Boy Scouts, but vaguely remember my dad and grandfather doing the exact same thing as I was going to bed in the camper as a boy.

Of course, tonight it's raining, so I tried something new: cooking on the stove in the camper. I've camped my whole life, and have owned campers for the past 13 years, and can count how many meals I've cooked on a camper stove on one hand, and I think they've all been for my kids. Seriously, why do people voluntarily cook inside when camping?

Anyway, the kids were getting ready for bed, and it wasn't getting any drier outside, so I had to act fast. My wife decided she wasn't hungry (therefore, not cooking), so I just sliced up some potatoes, threw them in a saucepan with some butter, and cooked them while frying a burger in a separate pan. A bunch of salt, pepper, ketchup (and some A-1 to doctor up the burger that I overcooked), and I was in business! Washed it all down with nice tall rum and Coke, and am very impressed with my spontaneous creation!

Again, sorry about no pics. Feel free to add your favorite (preferably easy) camping recipes here. The simpler, the better (and charcoal/propane grills don't count for the same reason stove top sucks: I can do that at home)...

Happy Labor Day, everyone!

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Welcome to the Cooking/Grilling section of MTF! Jump on in and start posting your favorite recipes.

The few times I've gone camping (Tents) I've gone with old hands who knew their stuff. The chow cooked in the camp fires were outstanding to be just simple meals. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yum, I love hobo dinner (foil packet meals). I usually do steak, potatoes, and veggies for a stew but I think I'll do sausage and onions next time. Wish I were camping, stayed home to finish house projects. Hope it's been a good trip, minus the rain. You in the Midwest?

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, northeast. Rain wasn't nearly as bad as was forecast, it was a great few days away from home!

I've never thought about "recipes" but that sounds liks a good idea. Normally, I just wrap stuff and throw it in au-natural-like. Sadly, we forgot the corn on the cob this time.

Don't get me wrong, BTW, I like grilling at home too; but there's something about cooking on the fire that just makes camping complete. Of course, the magic of the dutch oven is something else altogether!

It's amazing how much heat comes out of two gas burners on a stove top in 15 minutes. Wow...

Mike

·
Registered
472 Posts
Dutch oven for me. I bake biscuits in mine with a few coals on top of the lid as well as the fire underneath. (I have an old one with a flat sunken lid, made for this)...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
there's something about cooking on the fire that just makes camping complete.

I agree. I've always wanted to make a spit over a fire, made out of sticks, like you see in the movies. Cook a chicken or something

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like my dad and grandfather knew what they were doing with the foil, sausage, etc.!

I haven't touched a dutch oven since Boy Scouts. We mainly did the bean pot contest, but I vaguely remember a chicken dinner once. Just poking around online, there seem to be lots of great ideas and recipes out there. If I try one, I'll post the results here (and try to remember the pics!).

Mike

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,061 Posts
Couple faves. I like taking fish(hopefully just caught while camping) either whole gutted or fileted depending on the size, then wrap them in tinfoil while leaving a small hole up top for the steam to escape. I call it a teepee. You can put butter, onions, peppers, whatever you have around in there for added flavor. Pull some coals to the edge in a thin layer and cook on top. Usually doesn't take too long to cook, maybe 20 minutes or so. One thing I do though, is just a couple minutes before I take them off I poke a couple of holes in the foil to run some of the juice off. This firms the fish up a bit. Delicious.

My old standby is sausage and peppers in a skillet. Always some onions involved too. What's great about S&P is there's always some hot dog or hamburger rolls around which is perfect for a poor man's hero bread.

Together, you got camper's surf and turf :fing32:

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to go camping again just to try more of this stuff!

Of course, I could do this in my back yard at home, but that would be like cooking on the stove in the camper, but in reverse!

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't posted here in a while, we did the foil-cooking routine over this past weekend. Sweet Italian sausage, potatoes, onions and corn on the cob. The kids cooked hot dogs and smores using sticks. Everything was delicious!

Here's my secret recipe (LOL):

Make a fire, get it down to hot coals.
While it's burning down, wrap potatoes, onions and corn (with husks) individually in foil. Wrap two sausage links as a single package.
When you have good hot coals, place the potatoes and onions directly on the coals (single layer).
After 20 minutes, flip the potatoes and onions over, and add the sausage and corn.
After 10 minutes, flip the sausage and corn over.
After 10 more minutes, remove everything and let it sit for 5 minutes to cool enough to handle (the waiting is the hard part!).

Sorry, no pics again...

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
mikeinri ,

Sounds like a good meal!

·
Super Moderator
31,377 Posts
Just got back from camping myself. One of our favs is apple crisp in the dutch oven.. We make it ahead of time in baggies, and that makes it quick and easy. Line the bottom with premade pie crust and butter..] load in the apple mix [pretty much the same as pie filling... could do caned if you want.. then the crisp top... Im still learning the cooking part.. last time it took about 10-12 coles under, and 16 on top.. as the cook progressed, I added a little more to the top.. Took about a hour all told, and was AMAZING!

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that sounds amazing!

I need to get a Dutch oven!!!

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts