My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently gave me a very old craftsman tractor, most likely from the 60's or earlier. It has a 3-speed transmission with a 6 hp engine on it.

Well I have been trying to get the thing running for a few weeks now and finally got it to pull start but still is not turning over. I put some dry gas in it and hopefully it will turn over now, if not It looks like I'll be cleaning the carb.

Well to my question, I noticed that the transmission grinds into gear. If I did a rolling start and kicked it into gear, it would grind. There is no clutch that I can see and I wonder how this thing is going to go into gear once it is running. I noticed that if I put it into first and pulled the pull start, it would move forward. So I don't see why the tranny would be seized. Any ideas to this issue? Any help for getting it started and going would be great!

By the way, so far I have replaced the spark plug and replaced the gas while adding dry gas.

Thanks,
Big Ross

·
15,000 +posts!
20,836 Posts
It'll be hard to advise you without more info or a photo of it..but the belt should have some type of clutch pedal and an idler pulley setup,unless someone removed it..sounds like its not working if there is one,or too short a belt was put on it,maybe the belt was not routed correctly around the pulleys too..

I sincerely doubt you'll be lucky enough to get it running by just adding carb cleaner,most likely the carb and gas tank will need to be removed and cleaned thouroghly..good luck though,I've had a few I dragged home I never thought would start just by adding gas,but they did..

·
Registered
169 Posts
It'll be hard to advise you without more info or a photo of it..but the belt should have some type of clutch pedal and an idler pulley setup,unless someone removed it..sounds like its not working if there is one,or too short a belt was put on it,maybe the belt was not routed correctly around the pulleys too..

I sincerely doubt you'll be lucky enough to get it running by just adding carb cleaner,most likely the carb and gas tank will need to be removed and cleaned thoroughly..good luck though,I've had a few I dragged home I never thought would start just by adding gas,but they did..
First thing I would do is prop the rear end up off the ground so the wheels don't touch. Then take the air cleaner assembly off and spray the carb with some carburetor cleaner. Pull start and see if you get a flutter as if the engine want's to start. If not, you probably aren't getting any/adequate spark.

If it wants to run, check out how rusty the tank is. If it isn't too bad and you don't mind sacrificing some fuel, add a fuel filter to the main fuel line and give it a little gas (enough to see if the engine will run as is).

The transmission may need some fluid added to it. Not knowing what make the tractor is, I don't know what to recommend. That is most likely why the gears are grinding. There has got to be some sort of clutch mechanism (somehow to release belt pressure on the main drive pulley) to stop the tractor from moving forward when you go to start it. Because it is a craftsman, this may be part of the brake pedal setup (all done with one pedal).

Good luck! At least you've got yourself a toy to play with!

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Well I have been trying to get the thing running for a few weeks now and finally got it to pull start but still is not turning over. I put some dry gas in it and hopefully it will turn over now, if not It looks like I'll be cleaning the carb.

Can I be of assistance?

"Well I have been trying to get the thing running for a few weeks now and finally got the recoil to work but still is not firing. I put some gas in it and hopefully it will fire now, if not It looks like I'll be cleaning the carb."

Is that what you meant?

I am having the same issues with an 8hp in a Lawn Lion. If you can dribble a little gas down the carb and not get it to fire, it isn't the carb (yet). Take off the plug and put a little bit (a half teaspoon) directly into the cylinder and replace the plug. If it still doesn't fire, you have no spark, or no compression.

Save the carb cleaning for later when you get it firing at least.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts