My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Joe
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of these a couple years ago and it has pretty much eliminated my use of my trailer. I have hauled 16' treated 2"x6" material along with other framing lumber and it works great. Also very handy for hauling vinyl siding. I have used it quite a lot and I have to say its some of the best $$ I have spent.
https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-extender-69650.html

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Most all full size pickup trucks had 8 foot beds at one time for carrying construction materials, basically what they were designed for. Now, 8 foot beds are almost a special added item for more cost and can't even be had in some models. My 2008 F150 XLT has only a 6 foot 8 inch bed. That bed extender is a useful item for the shorter beds.

If you are handy with tools, they are quite easy to make and if you have a welder, even easier.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I don't think DIY can beat $59 Flaken. It would be a fun project for some people but time is money. I am buying it for $59 and going fishing with my free time not spent on making it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Uh huh, Tractor Beam! Once upon a time I had money and no time. Now I have way too much time and no money. Ahh, karma.

·
Joe
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure there are other manufacturers of these but for the low cost, as far as I'm concerned, it has already paid for itself. I'd buy this again in a minute.

2,670 Posts
I bought one of these a couple years ago and it has pretty much eliminated my use of my trailer. I have hauled 16' treated 2"x6" material along with other framing lumber and it works great. Also very handy for hauling vinyl siding. I have used it quite a lot and I have to say its some of the best $$ I have spent.
https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-extender-69650.html
That would have been handy when I bought some 4x4's 12 feet long.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Agree - a handy little item indeed. I've had mine maybe 10 years and only use it once or twice a year (even with an 8' bed) but it's priceless. I even found a unique use for it when we moved my daughter to college and I had no room left to pack the hand cart!

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,760 Posts
I'm sure you already know this, but if you flip the l-shaped piece that attaches to the hitch receiver, you get the option of placing the t-piece at the same height as the top of the cab of your truck. I've used mine both ways, and it is real handy for moving ladders, canoes, kayaks, lumber, you name it. Works great. Even if I only pull mine out a couple times a year (and that is about it because I have a utility trailer) it was well worth the price. I bought mine on special super sale at Cabela's.

·
Parts collector
3,420 Posts
I will not buy truck without an 8" bed. I have a cap on mine that I can strap 20ft lumber to. That being said, they are handy and for the price why not. I don't have one because I have the rack on my cap and I have a double deck in my bed.

Attachments

·
Joe
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure you already know this, but if you flip the l-shaped piece that attaches to the hitch receiver, you get the option of placing the t-piece at the same height as the top of the cab of your truck. I've used mine both ways, and it is real handy for moving ladders, canoes, kayaks, lumber, you name it. Works great. Even if I only pull mine out a couple times a year (and that is about it because I have a utility trailer) it was well worth the price. I bought mine on special super sale at Cabela's.
No. I didn't know that. Pretty cool though. Thanks!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,760 Posts
Loaned mine to a friend with a Toyota Highlander so he could pick up a half dozen 16' 2x8 for his deck project. He of course mounted it in the roof high configuration and set off on his quest. I did not get a picture of the lumber loaded, but saw the result on his deck, so I know it worked. He had never seen such a tool/attachment, and was puzzling over how to get the lumber home. I think he would buy one now that he knows, were it not for the even better option of borrowing mine whenever he needs one.

2,670 Posts
Loaned mine to a friend with a Toyota Highlander so he could pick up a half dozen 16' 2x8 for his deck project. He of course mounted it in the roof high configuration and set off on his quest. I did not get a picture of the lumber loaded, but saw the result on his deck, so I know it worked. He had never seen such a tool/attachment, and was puzzling over how to get the lumber home. I think he would buy one now that he knows, were it not for the even better option of borrowing mine whenever he needs one.
Anything that long would make sense to use a trailer. Easier to load and unload. Safer when driving.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I see stupid all the time at the big box stores. I have a 12 ft. bed and 16 ft. material is a stretch. If people can not think of their own safety at least think of the safety of others. Anyone of you would have a fit if you seen an 18 wheeler going down the road with a load sticking 20 ft. beyond the trailer bed. This is basically what some try to do. 6ft 8 in. bed and extender + 16 ft. material = ridicules.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,760 Posts
Anything that long would make sense to use a trailer. Easier to load and unload. Safer when driving.
16' boards are coincidently the same length as a 16' canoe. Both balanced nicely on the roof rack, and because the 2x8 would have flexed with the overhang, the extended hitch based support made for a very stable and secure load. Might have been easier to load to a 16' trailer, don't have one. I don't understand your point about safety when driving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks! I've never seen one of those. I used to flip down the ramp on my trailer for the long stuff, secured on both sides with a long plank and 4 HD clamps. With one of these up here on the northeast toll roads, you can potentially save enough to pay for that. Cuomo pockets extra for trailers. :maddd: Just don't forget to tie a red flag on the end!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,760 Posts
From the Toyota Specifications Web site:

Length of Highlander 192.5"
From the British book of conversions 16' x 12"/foot = 192"

Over

·
Registered
41 Posts
I miss my old Ford station wagon. That was perfect for hauling 4x8 sheets and the like. I could hang 12 footers out the back. The tailgate swung either down or hinged like a door. With the window down, I could put a push mower back there with the handle out the window. I even used to fold down the rear seat to haul small riding mowers! (I built a custom ramp). Loved that car until the road salt got the best of all 3 I owned over the years. I put a police interceptor motor in the '82. :tango_face_devil:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts