My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so excited to get a 47" quick hitch snowblower for my x485 this year. I even went the extra mile and installed an electric powered actuator for the chute and purchased the case weights and bracket system. Sadly I never got to use it because we never got enough dang snow!!!! I thought you guys would be the only ones who could understand.

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
Finally Bought a Blower In 2014 when I bought My Used X748 Used a X485 with a Blade for 11 years Prior to That. (Had a Thrower On a Old IH Cub Cadet at the same time as the X485 with Blade) Winter 2016/2017 was the Last time I really needed it for snow Falls the Last 3 winters Have Been so Lite that it pretty much has sat there al winter Long. I did use the blower for a 4inch snow fall for just the heck of it. Just because I actually wanted to use it about 4 or 5inches was my Max snow fall this Past winter. I remember as a Kid we would have snow all winter and it would snow at least once a week all winter Long. So Yes I understand your disappointment (y)

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
I used my X748 and 47 blower on Monday for the first time since December 2nd. Back then we had 23" of snow in two days and we thought we were in for a heck of a winter.

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
Not sure where OP lives but for my X495 could never justify the cost or the space it would take up to ever buy a Snowthower, I do have a 54" Blade that suits my needs fine in NJ.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
jacobsed,

I purchased an Ariens walk behind snow blower several years back, came with two year interest free payments.

I paid it off before I ever used it!

I understand.

CCMoe

·
Registered
376 Posts
That is funny. I have been thinking about buying a blade and a blower to make sure it doesn't snow here. About a decade ago I bought a shovel and sure enough it worked great for about 8 years. Then it started snowing and we had hundred year storms two years in a row. It was not fun. So, maybe I will get a blower for the X534. Definitely getting a blade either for the X534 or for the B2620.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was so excited to get a 47" quick hitch snowblower for my x485 this year. I even went the extra mile and installed an electric powered actuator for the chute and purchased the case weights and bracket system. Sadly I never got to use it because we never got enough dang snow!!!! I thought you guys would be the only ones who could understand.

I live in Michigan too

So what you're saying.....it's all your fault for this joke of a winter, eh?

·
Super Moderator
28,716 Posts
Could have gone the whole winter without doing any as we have all 4wd vehicles and deepest snow was only 7 inches. But just to exercise the machine, and get some use of the cab, I bladed 3 times. When I got the NY 322 home I hit the 2 inch snow with the 47 blower and that my friends is called "overkill"! :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Poncho, I like that Ford!

Here in SE Michigan, had a couple plowable snows, did maybe 4 plows total. Way less than what I'd call "average" in my lifetime.

You guys in W NY, PA, and NJ should be careful about what you wish for. Do I recall a few years back, news reports of collapsing roofs and such from the unrelenting snow falls? I thought those were in PA, maybe I'm wrong.

There has to be a happy medium somewhere here.... :giggle:

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,764 Posts
I live in Michigan too

So what you're saying.....it's all your fault for this joke of a winter, eh?
That would be me, I brought a OTC cab for the 318 and 47" 2S SB. Plus I got the actuator mounted on the chute this year. So everything we got was very wet sloppy slush that I used the 54" blade on the 430 for. Used a lot of urea to keep the ice manageable.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I suppose there's a few of us to blame. I had the 44" blower and a crappy cab I rigged onto the Deere in prior years. This year I upped my game with a roll up door on the shed (complete with opener etc) and put the actual Deere cab on.
I used the tractor more to move my trailer than snow this year.

·
Super Moderator
28,716 Posts
Poncho, I like that Ford!

Here in SE Michigan, had a couple plowable snows, did maybe 4 plows total. Way less than what I'd call "average" in my lifetime.

You guys in W NY, PA, and NJ should be careful about what you wish for. Do I recall a few years back, news reports of collapsing roofs and such from the unrelenting snow falls? I thought those were in PA, maybe I'm wrong.

There has to be a happy medium somewhere here.... :giggle:
Yes, that was just north of me in Erie, record snow just about 200 inches. We had a couple of 10 inch snows that year. Amazing the difference in a few miles with Lake Effect snow!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
A few years back, we got a TON of snow..... and all I had was a little snowblower, and shovels..... I decided I am too old for that, so, bought a blower for my 216...... in the five years I have owned it, I think I have used it 3 times....... Then I bought a 445, and it came with a 47 blower. As winter 2019 approached, I got the blower hooked up, spent a couple hundred on parts that I needed, (some were missing, others were just worn out) got it all hooked up, and adjusted properly, ready for winter. Parked the tractor by the garage door in the barn, so it would be ready to go when (if....) we got some snow. It's still sitting there...... didn't use it once this year. Of course, if I had waited till we actually had snow to use it, we would have gotten a couple feet..... :D

Getting ready to go out and put the mower deck I bought last year on the tractor. (which I bought at the end of the season, and haven't used yet either.....) I fully expect that the moment I take the blower off, 2' of snow will magically appear. :)

I am in south eastern Michigan as well, and the wife and I both have 4wd vehicles, (ok, hers is AWD....) so, unless we get 6 inches or more, no real need for moving the snow..... our vehicles will go thru it like it isn't there anyway.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I live in VA so I don’t see as much snow as some of you. I think it was about 6 years ago we go multiple 10-24” snows for a couple of years in a row. I used a shovel and a Craftsman lawn tractor with a plow to get off of my hill.
After that I bought a 318 with a plow. Later that year I found a 2 stage blower set up for a 300 series. We haven’t had a measurable snow since. While I’d like to say that I used it enough to get my money’s worth I’ll just have to go with it paid for itself by not having to use it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
blinged out
1,215 Posts
I live 100 miles north of toronto and I don't think I ran a tank of fuel through the machine this year,getting it dressed for winter use took longer than I used it! I just took the long johns off it this week, haven't put the deck on yet, It'll just get trailer duty for a while!

reminds me of when the kids were small took 15mins to get the 3 of them dressed to go outside for 5 mins.

·
X370 Fan
44 Posts
I live 100 miles north of toronto and I don't think I ran a tank of fuel through the machine this year,getting it dressed for winter use took longer than I used it! I just took the long johns off it this week, haven't put the deck on yet, It'll just get trailer duty for a while!

reminds me of when the kids were small took 15mins to get the 3 of them dressed to go outside for 5 mins.
We're in Tay, near Midland, and I think I also spent more time putting the blower, bra, and softcab on it and then taking it back off again than I spent blowing snow this year too. I switched to the blade a couple weeks ago, because it's ice season, also known as fool's spring. I expect to take the blade off after the ground dries up some and I can see if anything needs leveling off from the winter.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,916 Posts
Back in 1987 I bought a 1971 GMC K1500 with a plow,after tiring of trying to keep the 110 foot Y shaped driveway clear of blizzards over 2 feet deep with a walk behind snowblower...

The truck was a bargain at $500--but it never snowed that winter,maybe twice we got about 4"...

A friend had bought a new snowmobile the same year,and it never left the trailer all winter..
He had to haul it 200 miles north to Maine in order to ride it,before the fuel went sour!...

This seems to happen to guys who go buy a brand new plow truck too,or a 6 wheeler to plow for the state DPW...it doesn't snow enough to use more than once!..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts