My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here into the Vermicomposting?? I was doing some surfing on the net today looking for info on the subject, and ran across this site. http://www.redwormcomposting.com/ I've read until my vision is blurry, LOL... LOTS of interesting reading and info on the subject.

I'm going to try a stacked bin type composter, and see what happens. Mostly for the production of tea for the garden. I believe I have everything but the bins, and a small bulkhead spigot to make it a go. Should be able to get all of that for around $25. Seems there's always lots of the red wigglers in my manure, and leaf composting piles. Guess we'll see if they are the real deal.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The wife and I have been doing this for years. We did start out by putting them in bins like you want to do but they kept leaving or dying off. We worked with the worm supplier for a while on different strategies to keep them in the bins but it never quite worked out so we just decided to go with putting them in our compost piles.
They are very busy little critters and do a fast job of converting all of our waste into usable compost.
My original worm supplier recently offered to buy some of my worms back as a matter of fact.

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I read where some had them make the great escape. Hopefully with some pointers from the site above, I'll have some success.

Mainly doing it for the tea extraction. If it doesn't work, I guess I could do like you, as I guess I already am, using the composted leaf/manure as I have to make tea. Just thinking I could get a more concentrated material/media this way, to make my tea.

·
forkz
01 chevy silverado1500
7,693 Posts
a friend used to do this he just made a compost pile the worms found it on there own

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yeah, I read where some had them make the great escape. Hopefully with some pointers from the site above, I'll have some success.

Mainly doing it for the tea extraction. If it doesn't work, I guess I could do like you, as I guess I already am, using the composted leaf/manure as I have to make tea. Just thinking I could get a more concentrated material/media this way, to make my tea.
I think the big thing is they are pretty fussy about their environment. If you can be real diligent about taking care of them then you'll probably do fine.
I was not able to devote that kind of time as I work full time and run my alpaca farm too, same for my wife.
I have large bins made up of stacked cinder blocks that are wide enough to get a small bucket loader in to turn the piles. The bin with leaves takes till late the next summer to compost and those are shredded first. The other three bins are barn waste, those goes fairly quick.

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my containers today, along with a spigot to drain what liquid drips through. Only got $20 invested, and have the time. Will try to get some pics along the way.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If the snow ever clears off I'm going to empty our rotary composter and junk it. The compost is never able to finish because we've been using it for kitchen waste of which there is a constant stream. I'm glad I got it used and for free not parting with $400 for it. Now I'm just piling up leaves and yard waste in a heap on top of some cleared off ground that I am too lazy to turn into lawn, anyway I've already got 3 acres to cut-that's enough to get the need to mow out of my system. I'm planing to turn the pile with my tractor's front end loader. After one season the pile has been colonized by lots of big fat worms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.