My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a bunch of rain this spring, not enough to wash things away, but it erased the three year drought. It also made everything in the garden just explode. I picked a half bushel of squash from three hills yesterday, as well as two gallon buckets full of cucumbers and 6 gallons of half runner green beans. I have hot banana peppers, green bell peppers ready to pick, and the tomato vines are full, but no ripe ones yet. My wife and her sister canned beans all day yesterday, put up around 20 quarts. My wife canned another 6 quarts today, plus we've eaten green beans every day since Tuesday.

My corn looks kind of pitiful, though. What came up looks good, but the crows got about half of what I planted, more if you count the replant. It's kind of scattered around the garden, hope most of it will pollenate. here's a couple of pics of the bean trellis, and the cukes and squash, and maters and peppers.

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Looks great! My fire was just kinda put out though. Yesterday evening, I was on cloud nine due to being able to pick my first cucumber. Now that I see how far behind I really am, I kinda disappointed. I am just going to have to count on another long warm fall to be able to harvest well.

Well, we'll see how it goes and keep our fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Nice garden! Ours isn't doing too well. Peppers look terrible,and we lost our cukes. I think it's due to not very much sun, rain,and cool temps.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice garden! Ours isn't doing too well. Peppers look terrible,and we lost our cukes. I think it's due to not very much sun, rain,and cool temps.
Yeah, sometimes the weather seems to work against you. About 7-8 years ago, I had the best crop of corn ever. Everything I planted came up, it was head high, all tasseled out, ears starting to form, bugs hadn't been bad, no fungus; the beans were even better than this year, too.

It's amazing what a 25 minute hailstorm can do to a garden. Stones the size of marbles; not big, but by the time it stopped, the ice was over an inch deep. Stripped leaves off the trees, too but luckily, the stones weren't quite big enough to tear up the cars in the driveway.

I just plowed the garden under. Dammit.

·
Member #495
3,827 Posts
Too much rain, cold and rabbits are making things tough in my garden. Best thing I did this year was move it to an all day sun location. I also learned a hard lesson from last year, to do raised beds and use that hiller/furrower attachment that came with my TB Pony. The rain storms flood the low valleys and the plants stay drier. If we ever do get hot days, I'll have to water more, but that is ok. I'm going to hit with miracle grow and see if I can't get them to catch up a bit. My beans are only 5" and the rabbits devoured them. Tonight put 100' of wire fence around the entire garden, so hopefully that takes care of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts