My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Senior MTF Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I've basically dis-assembled this whole tractor and i'm still having problems. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong with this tractor! This is what happened:

I was mowing the grass one day and all of a sudden, the engine slowed down and the whole tractor began to jerk a little bit. Then, the tractor stopped and the engine cut off. Now, the clutch pedal is extremely hard to press and when I press it, I hear springs popping and things sqeaking. Nothing happens when I turn the key but I can rotate the flywheel by hand. The transaxle will shift into all gears (low, high, rev). The speed selector (1-5) will not shift past 3rd unless the clutch is depressed.

I know it's not the transaxle. I think it could be something to do with the clutch pedal or the vari-drive system. I need help! It seems that this is an extremely odd problem because I haven't been able to find any information about something like this anywhere on the net. Thanks for looking!

:praying: :banghead3

·
Junior Senior MTF Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have checked both of those. I have oiled everything I can find too. Its odd. everything looks fine
But I know something is wrong. Has anybody else had this same problem?

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi,

i'm not clear, did you get the engine running? the varidrive pullies wont behave properly if they are not spinning, the belt doesnt ride out to its proper posistion, instead it just gets pinched between the sheaves

·
Junior Senior MTF Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the engine ran before the mishap but now when I turn the key, nothing happens. I think a safety switch may be tripped or something. Any ideas? the pulleys spin fine and all the belts are good. I might try to clean the varidrive sheave.

·
Registered
62 Posts
okay, if the motor isnt running, what makes you think there is a problem with the vari drive? the pullies and belts need to be moving inorder to change to the new position when you move the speed lever.

you said...

Ok. So I've basically dis-assembled this whole tractor and i'm still having problems.

is this thread just a joke about the needless complexity of the vari drive setups?

sounds like you've got a motor that wont start problem?

·
Junior Senior MTF Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, this isn't a "joke". I know something isn't right with the varidrive! The engine is fine but there is a bind or something keeping it from starting. The clutch pedal wasn't nearly that stiff before the problem whether moving or not. I'm asking for help so if you know anything about a varidrive or know any common problems that occur with them and how to fix them that would be great

Thanks

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Mine sometimes gets stiff (If I turn it off without clutching it) But it goes back to normal as soon as it apeared. The clutch must be engaged when trying to start 2 Bad battery 3 no oil in the engine ie locked up 4 pullys may be touching another but wouldnt affect starting 5 adjust the clutch.

·
Junior Senior MTF Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess what? It's 5, MTD snow plow! I've been doing more research and diagnostics and I think it's GOT to be that. See, from vibrations over the years, the rod from the clutch pedal to the pulley can get loose at the linkage and slide. I think this is the problem because when the tractor started to bogg down, I noticed that the clutch pedal was pulling out farther than normal. Thank y'all for your help! I'll try and fix it tomorrow and let y'all know the results!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts