My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 1811 with new battery and less than 400 hours for 800.00 plus a set of 4 firestone tires for my equinox. Everything worked perfect on it. I had also replaced the fuel pump with a new kohler unit. Only problem was a very cracked seat, and some cosmetic rust. The deck had newer blades, just sharpened and a good work over with any holes welded. I planned on selling it for 1000.00 or more if possible once I repainted and stickered the hood. I was also going to replace the seat with one I had purchased (now going on my bolens). Did I ask to much, or not enough???

The tires have 3/4 tread and are plus sized...so they may not fit my car. However they were a bonus in the deal and the guy had nothing invested in them anyways.

The buyer is a friend, and he needed a safe and heavy tractor to mow his yard (all hill), he had already wore out a 2004 cub from lowes. The frame had bent from all the twisting on the hills... and the motor was blowing up.

So my second thought is... did I hurt myself on price... or hurt him? selling to a friend is always hard.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
There was a 1862 with a 50'' deck power sterring in simular shape that went for $960.00 on Ebay this week.If im correct yours was from about the same time frame?So sounds like you did OK?I just traded a 03 2166 and feel I let it go to cheap also.They just do not have the best resale value compared to John Deere.Its the MTD name that hurts them.People just do not realize MTD has owned Cub Cadet since the early 80's and there are still quality Cub Cadets being built to this day.The entry models being sold in the Box stores did not help either.

It is a shame that the MTD name gets such a bad rap I feel.Because in my opinion even a plain old box store MTD is really not all that bad that it could destroy Cub Cadet as it has.

Its a shame when a 1862 only will bring $960.00 but a John Deere L120 from around 2003 with 500 hours will bring the same money or more.Take a look on ebay and see it for your self.

When I was trying to trade my 2166 a John Deere dealer told me it was just a MTD.That he was surspised the dash was not all cracked out from not having any sterring colume shaft supprt.I pointed out that the 2000 series had a beefier colume support then some John Deeres and he was confusing it with a 1000 series.But he would not take his blinders off.So I went else where and traded where I did not recieve much more trade allowance.But did not have to listen to there knocking Cub Cadet.

Atleast you helped a friend get a reliable machine and there is no reason he should not be grateful you were able to help him out.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Without seeing it I'd say you sold it for exactly what's it worth. 1811s are sought after just as the yellow 782s. I watch this daily and I can point to several Red 782s that can't break $700, anyone who tells you that the Reds bring more...well...just tell them they're full of ----. I paid $1100 for mine but it also came with a factory powersteering unit (that's what I said) and an excellent deck which I sold for $350 and $150. Ya gotta wheel and deal and know what you're buying.

Scott

·
Banned
852 Posts
There was a 1862 with a 50'' deck power sterring in simular shape that went for $960.00 on Ebay this week

Cub guys don't compare the 82s to the cyclops junk, the 1862 has it's attributes but it ain't no 82. I do like the drive shafts in them though and some parts are interchangeable.

Scott

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually had a 2072 super garden tractor with the duel brakes and power steering as well. It was a nice tractor and had the commercial drive on 60" deck. I loved it, but traded it for a bolens HT23 for restoration. I have to say that we have owned a few cubs over the years, but my fmily was always a bolens family. I was thrilled when a cub collector came to me and offer to do some trading with the HT23 he happend to have.

I think the cyclops tractors are nice.... if you are refering to the ones that have the similar profile as the 1872 and 2072. My opinion is that they are basically the same tractor.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Cyclops tractors are the models after the 1872/2072. The cyclops have a all plastic front end. They are called "Cyclops" because of the single headlight lens. It looks like it has only one "eye". They are good tractors, but the plastic leaves a little to be desired. The hoods and grille frames are easily broken.

AJ

·
Banned
852 Posts
They also reversed the location of the battery and fuel tank, three piece rear fender that rusts under the floor board and at joint, drive shaft, tilt steering, light weight lift valve, later models went to the command twins... I do like the drive shaft though.
Ain't the same.
Scott

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I didn't realize so much had changed. I agree with the plastics part. Dad's 1641 is a cyclops. I like to looks of it, and the location of the battery and gas tank. However I agree with the fender design being a rust collector. The plastic discolor over time as well. I know Dad has a nice example, but it has spent 99% of its life garaged and maintained on a regular basis. My 2072 was well used with over 3000 hours on the original "no work done on it" M20. It was a great machine and I miss the power steering. My bolens had the option of PS, but its a rare find and big $$$ if someone is selling one.

I noticed someone else just got an 1811 in another thread... looks just like the one I sold... sigh... kind wish I kept it but I have way to many toys anyways.

Thanks again,
Nick

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
1872 a cyclops? Wrong model? I had one and it had 2 headlights and no plastic. 1882 maybe?

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Cyclops is junk? Can't argue with that. My 1862 has the front end wire tied together. Rust scabs here & there on the body and we all know they won't mow if the plastic hood is cracked or the paint isn't good.
Deck sounds like it is falling apart with those small rollers and the front deck wheels swaying back & forth on those wierd jointed supports banging across the yard on the 54" deck. Nevermind that in 3 years it has never used any oil between its yearly oilchange, has never needed repairs other than a deck belt this year. And refuses to cut uneven or leave grass. That powersteering is nice but if your paint isn't good, what does it matter?
The neighbor across the street has a new shiney HUGE hood on his that looks like some kind of angry martian. I think I could park mine in it. Then I noticed his doesn't have lug nuts on the rear wheels. The envy just evaporated for some reason. He does have nice paint though. I think mine has paint on it but its always been muddy this spring and it's hard to tell.

Yeah, I sure wish I haden't paid $250 for it with water in the carb. Probably came that way from the factory...remember that all you guys at the next auction. They are JUNK..don't bid against me ok?
I might just get a spare or two in case something important breaks someday on this piece of junk.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like your junk... if thats politically correct to say lol. I can't say I have found a deal that good... well... okay. My 2072 and 1811 were both free and both ran great and worked 100%. Ironically I believe your tractor has a Kohler M18 in it? hmmm... same as my just sold 1811, and the same as the 1872. I thought they ran a different motor in the newer models. I also like the gas tank under the fenders in the newer models. I was actually thinking about doing modifications to the 2072 when I had it... slowly convert it over to the newer cyclops front clip, fenders, and dash. I never did though.. as i couldn't find a good parts tractor. I passed up a good deal on one of the newer ones like yours with the fender flairs, diesel, and 3pt... stupid me.

Oh well... I have a major project on my hands with this bolens. It may not look as cool as the cubs... don't tell my bolens buddies. But it is a mean machine. Don't tell any of them that i'm using cub cadet white for the hood, wheels and fenders either lol... I had it in the garage for my 154 cub loboy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts