My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2007 X300 - going against the recomnedations made on this forum...and in my heart...as I handed the money over...just didn't see right. Why did I do it? B/C of the packaged deal. $3100 for '07 x300 with 44" snowblower, weights, bagging system, 90 hours. I thought all around, it was a good deal. I mowed for the first time and found out that the engine/HP/tranny seemed to really have to work to get up my hill (walk out basement). When I pull a cart (still have lots of landscaping to do) I have serious doubts it would make it up the hill...and for longevity...just didn't sit right..plus it was difficult to manuever around some of the obstacles currently in yard. Though the manuverablity on this machine is impressive in general.

The local JD dealer in town has an '08 x324 on the lot. Was asking $3500 for it with 80 hours.

He said he would take the x300, snow blower, and bagger - and do an even exchange for the newer X324.

What do you guys think about the value in this exchange? In the end, I'll be paying less than if I would have bought the X324 to begin with.

These are the values I've assigned to what I have now. Is this in line?
$2200 x300
$800 snow blower
$200 bagger (not powerflow)

I'm thinking the X324 will give me the power and manuverability I'm looking for. Ultimately, I want a mulching blade/kit with a snow blade. The dealer said he could add that on for $800 total.

This is my first riding mower so I don't really understand value, trade in, john deere 100%. Your assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
you got a good price on the one you bought. the blower runs close to 1500 new by itself!

personally, i would try to get him to throw in the mulch kit/snow blade for free or less than he is willing to do. the X300 itself lists for 2999.00, and being it is 2 years old and only 1 year of warranty left(older X300 series were 3 year 300 hour if i remember correctly), i would say it is worth around 2k give or take a little. but the blower/bagger/weights really don't lose much value and should be worth a decent price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I was just looking on another JD dealer's web site - different state - that had well organized options/pricing sheet for the X300 series.

Here is what I found for new:
X300 - $2999
Snow blower - $1699
7 Bushel Bagger - $485
Total - $5183

X324 - $4599

Take 2 years off the X300 for wear and tear...and 1 year off the X324...I still think I should get at least the mulch kit included in my trade for the X324...???

·
Banned
628 Posts
is there something wrong with the x300 engine/trans ? i thought that tractor should handle what your doing with no problem ..... maybe get it looked at if its under warranty

·
Registered
641 Posts
is there something wrong with the x300 engine/trans ? i thought that tractor should handle what your doing with no problem ..... maybe get it looked at if its under warranty
Yes, keep in mind all hyrdos groan when put to work. That's part and parcel of the design. That 17HP kawa should pull like a 20 or 21 hp Briggs ELS. Its not the HP that matters - its the torque.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The x300 shouldn't have any pulling/climbing problems with just a walk out basement. Maybe something is a miss with it, loose belt etc. I have read of LA series owners doing much more with theirs with no troubles. Maybe something needs to be looked at on it. Post a photo of your yard because many here would love to see what your having problems with. Personally, you couldn't give me a snowblower for my X320. I love my 7hp Ariens and can knock out my driveway, 65' long and standard width, in roughly 20 minutes and that includes starting the blower.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The x300 shouldn't have any pulling/climbing problems with just a walk out basement. I agree that maybe something is a miss with it, loose belt etc. I have read of LA series owners(same tranny I believe) doing much more with theirs with no troubles. Post a photo of your yard because many here would love to see what your having problems with. Personally, you couldn't give me a snowblower for my X320. I love my 7hp Ariens snowthrower and can knock out my driveway, 65' long and standard width, in roughly 20 minutes and that includes starting the blower.
Thats the route I would go unless I had a ridiculously long driveway. How in the world did I just quote myself on an edit???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really guys - thanks a ton for such numerous and quick replies. When I got heavy into the aquatic hobby, forums such as this were invaluable. This is proving to be the case as well.

I will take pictures tonight of the hill in reference. It's not that steep and was suprised when it 'groaned' a little. When I start pulling a cart with rock or dirt in it...I suspect it to really be pushing it.

I was looking at the 324 for 2 reasons - more torque/power and the AWS. The snow blower on the x300 I'm not all that interested in b/c I already have one at home. We do get a fair amount of dustings...drifts...etc. where a quick sweep of a blade would be nice. Also - for the upcoming summers of landscaping projects...having a blade to smooth out rock, dirt, etc would be nice.

I'll try to post a picture tonight.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Agreed w/ the snowblower comments. Unless my driveway was one of those 1/4 or 1/2 mile runs, just give my a nice Simplicity walk behind snow thrower.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
all hydros will groan. some worse than others, but unless you have noticeable slow downs or loss of power, i doubt it is an issue. maybe get the dealer to check it out for you? the K46 can handle what you describe just fine. the one in my L130 has handled pulling my 200+ #, my L130, and a 15gallon sprayer up a steep hill for 5 years now. i don't go there every weekend, but often enough. the hydro whines a little, but it still works just fine.

this is counter intuitive, but always run it wide open throttle so that the fan keep s the hydro cool. then just adjust how far you mash the pedal to get the speed you desire.

·
Registered
417 Posts
These are the values I've assigned to what I have now. Is this in line?
$2200 x300
$800 snow blower
$200 bagger (not powerflow)
How used is the Snow blower? For something that cost over $1,600, that's only two years old, I would think it's worth more than $800. I would like to eventually get a snowblower for mine X300, but it's not a high priority right now.

·
Banned
628 Posts
How used is the Snow blower? For something that cost over $1,600, that's only two years old, I would think it's worth more than $800. I would like to eventually get a snowblower for mine X300, but it's not a high priority right now.

to the consumer it cost 1600.

what does the dealer pay ?
figure in that, age ,that it is a trade.. and out plops $800

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've got an X300 with a "near" walk out basement and it pulls a cart full or dirt, wood, gravel up the hill no problem at all. It will groan a little but not nearly enough to be of concern and definatley not abnormal. If you still have warranty on yours I would have it checked out, one member mentioned that their dealer did a traction test on their X300 and even though it pasted the test the dealer still offered to replace the transaxle under warranty because of the excessive groaning.

Regardless though, the X324 would be a nice upgrade for sure if you plan to do a lot of pulling due to the upgraded transaxle which it sounds like you would be happier with. I myself am happy with my X300 as it does everything it's meant to do very well, I just wish I could have afforded to buy an actual GT but hopefully soon I'll be able to upgrade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts