My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Very little, they are plentiful on farms.That one needs a fair bit of work by someone with good fabrication skills. How long since it ran? Does it turn over?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't know small engines well enough to tell the brand by looking at them. Like most things, some brands and models are worth more than others. Can you get more info like brand, size (hp) or model?

Hopefully some of the folks that know more about these than me will come along in a bit.

Later,
Jerry C

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
That engine is pre WWII, 80+ years old. Hit and miss was an inexpensive means of controlling speed before more sophisticated governors were developed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. It's for sale in my area for $300. Is that a good, fair, or bad deal?

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,342 Posts
Depending on how much the gear damage is, that is a fair price. They are expensive in Antique Engine world and NOT plentiful on farms. Search elsewhere for value.

Welcome by the way.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
366 Posts
It really depends on a lot of things, the biggest is, of course, condition and your area. Your price sounds high to me, because of the damage to the gear and the lack of parts availablity. Guys restore these things, and pay a lot of money for old cast iron, but most of these without damage and in the condition yours is in go for at least double your asking price. I go to a lot of small engine shows and I cannot remember seeing a hit and miss engine - unrestored - go for less than 500. And some of those were in pretty rough condition - but none had that kind of damage. The shows I've been to were in western PA and eastern OH.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
430 Posts
My cousin just bought one of those, his is a 3 H.P. all restored and running for $300. It is bigger than the one pictured.
There is a cover plate for the crankshaft that is missing on yours. There should be a builders plate mounted on the water box on top of the engine that has the name and information about it.
They were built back around 1912-1922 era.
They are very high in torque at a very low r.p.m. Full throttle they might run about 500 r.p.m.'s
There is a guy up around Gouldsboro, Pa that restores a lot of them and takes them to shows all over the place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If that's true, your cousin got a heck of a deal. I know a fully restored hit n miss engine of any size wouldn't normally sell for $300 lol.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
430 Posts
It sounds like he got a good deal on it. The guy who sold it had a lot of them and probably wanted to get rid of some of them to make room for more of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would suggest that you carefully look at the repairs on the flywheels. Personally, I would not purchase an engine with repairs to the flywheels unless I was needing other parts off of the engine. Some flywheels that have been repaired can break apart when running. This is a very dangerous situation.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The weld on that one looks like it was done with a battery and coat hanger. Fortunately that engine doesn't turn fast enough to do much damage but yeah, you make a valid point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts