My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first 445 Deere. The machine has 3400hours on it! But it does run excellent and the body is good shape. It has a 48" deck and good tires. Guy is asking 2800, got him down to 2500.....I think its a 1994 model....is that a fair price? How many more hours can that Kawi give me?

·
TE Forum Contributor
408 Posts
Good lord, that's a lot of hours for a L&G tractor. I assume engine is all original? If so, I would offer less. If he won't deal, go look for a 425 because they can be had for less than a 445. Not unless fuel injection is a must for you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ask if you can run a compression test. That would tell you a lot about wear on the internals. I've got a 325 with over 2800, and is still running strong.. As long as the oil and filter were change regularly I dont see any problem.. Today's oil is so much superior to the oil we had just a few years ago..
But overall condition will tell you how it was either treated, or abused..

·
John Deere 445
263 Posts
That is a lot of hours, I wonder if my machine will go that long. As someone said run a compression test.
Does the hydro sound normal, Check all fluids for levels, leaks and condition.
What kind of work it seen.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Deereman31,

I would be really leery of a 3400 hour, 17-18 year old tractor; especially at the price at $2500. On the other hand, if the seller can provide maintenance records/receipts and the tractor is in immaculate condition, maybe. I agree with home-boy, $1300 MAX. At $2500, it would not be worth the risk, at that price.

BTW, have you researched Machinefinder or Tractorhouse? It will give you a rough idea of what these models RETAIL value is.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That price is way too high. Walk away. I just picked up a 950 hour 445 with the 60" deck for $2000.

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
I wouldn't go near it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't go near it.
Ok Guys Confession time..... I had already bought the tractor, but afterwards felt like I didnt get a fair deal as I had thought I did. I paid 2500 for a 445 with 3400hours on it and rear end leak :( Hood has a crack, missing rear lights. Am interested in finding a 2 stage blower for it for the winter. Anyways, guess I shouldve check with you guys first. Let the comments begin. lol

·
TE Forum Contributor
408 Posts
We aren't going to beat you up on your purchase. First off, congrats! Hopefully the tractor is kind to you and brings you many years of service! :) Even if you didn't get the best deal, you found the best forum!

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
My dealer gave me $2300 for my '94 445 on trade in, probably could have got more selling it instead. It only had 1,200 hours though. A lot of people seem to find lower prices than I've ever seen, I think a lot of it depends on your location. Congrats on the 445, they are great tractors.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
We aren't going to beat you up on your purchase. First off, congrats! Hopefully the tractor is kind to you and brings you many years of service! :) Even if you didn't get the best deal, you found the best forum!
:ditto::ditto: :fing32:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:ditto::ditto: :fing32:
You know that is a good point though.....prices here in NY are higher than what I have seen online in other areas. Well guys if you come across any 425/445/455 in my area that is a good deal please let me know, PM me. Also if you see a 47" 2 stage in my area too. I am in southeastern NY.
My 445 really does run excellent, no smoke at all or weird noises. I am meticulous with oil/filter changes so know I can get a lot of life out of what I have. I am thinking of pulling the rear end and just replacing all seals...ie all leak points that I can to avoid trouble down the road.
Thanks for the kind words guys!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Congrats, I really like mine so far. Does your differential leak on the right side right over the axle. Mine leaks there and I have to fix that. It took a fair amount of work but I converted a model 50 single stage to fit on my 445. I could not pay what they want for a quick hitch and two stage or even single stage snowthrower for the 445. And yes I got my 445 for a very good deal (about half price) at $2000.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You know that is a good point though.....prices here in NY are higher than what I have seen online in other areas. Well guys if you come across any 425/445/455 in my area that is a good deal please let me know, PM me. Also if you see a 47" 2 stage in my area too. I am in southeastern NY.
My 445 really does run excellent, no smoke at all or weird noises. I am meticulous with oil/filter changes so know I can get a lot of life out of what I have. I am thinking of pulling the rear end and just replacing all seals...ie all leak points that I can to avoid trouble down the road.
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Deerman31- Congrats on you purchase. What you did has been done many times before, whether it be MTF members that just HAD to have that tractor, or by car collectors that overpaid for a car just because they liked it. If it puts a smile on your face, then enjoy it!:fing32:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it looks like it has been well taken care it would not bother me a bit. I bought mine with 2300 hours on it 4 years ago and it has 2600 on it now. Best purchase I ever made, one of my favorite toys. I have seen some with over 5000 hours on the clock. Mine was used commercially but had every record from new, BUT it looks like it has 2600 hours. I looked forever and found a great deal on a snowblower and a heated John deere cab, chains and suitcase weights. Got less than $3000 in the whole set up. I plan on doing a resto on it in the spring. Keep the oil changed, new airfilters, and make sure the radiator screen is clean and it will last you a long long time. I just had my rear end leak fixed. It was $200 at my local repair guys place to totally re-seal it. Not bad I thought, looked like I could have spent alot of time on it.

·
-
1,829 Posts
Congrats Deereman31, I'm jealous, that's a nice tractor.

As for the hours since it isn't smoking or making weird noises then you're most likely fine for quite a while. Even then you can have the engine rebuilt and enjoy that tractor for years and years.

JD service manual will help with replacing the seals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts