My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Quick question... I am about to upgrade to a JD 425 from a relative and will be looking to unload my 226. Just hoping to get a very rough idea of what I might be able to get for it at this point. I have a deck that is in immaculate shape and good working order with zero rust, brand new belts and blades, etc. I also have a snow caster that is in good shape but has a tiny bit of surface rust in a few spots. I also have an original CI trailer in pretty good shape, the back of it has a bit of surface rust but very handy for towing materials around the yard.

The 226 itself is in pretty good shape. Paint, etc. is presentable but a bit worn as it's original. Mechanically, the biggest issue is that the PTO clutch needs to be rebuilt. It's not that big of a job or that expensive, just no time to work on it. Also the throttle lever slips to mid throttle since the cable needs to be replaced I have the part, no time. :) I just use a bungee cord to hold it, which is fine but hacky. Should be replaced at some point. I believe the engine is original and working well. Hydraulics also fine.

I realize something like this is likely to draw different interest in different areas. I am in CT. Just hoping to get some guidance, very roughly, about what I should consider asking for the tractor as I will need to free up some space for the JD and I really, really do not want to store either of them outdoors.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your list of potential buyers and selling price would be much greater if you fixed the clutch and throttle. Even if you pay someone to fix them you will get that money back and maybe more. I had a 224 for 19 years. The original pto clutch was a weak point but the replacement was better built and lasted. Without seeing the machine I think your value is around $1100 to $1500 but ask more and see what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your list of potential buyers and selling price would be much greater if you fixed the clutch and throttle. Even if you pay someone to fix them you will get that money back and maybe more. I had a 224 for 19 years. The original pto clutch was a weak point but the replacement was better built and lasted. Without seeing the machine I think your value is around $1100 to $1500 but ask more and see what happens.
Thanks, appreciate your thoughts! Just in the interest of clarity the range that you mentioned is assuming that I take care of the repairs?

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
stook1,

It's a niche market for the Ingersoll's somewhat, I have a 4018 with a RM48 deck and front blade that I gave $900.00 for a couple years ago. FIL has a 226 that he purchased while working at IH in the Quad Cities years ago, his is in really good shape, 38" deck, yard sweeper, front blade.

I assume yours has the Onan engine also, which is a plus and a minus, great engine, parts are expensive IMO.

I would make the repairs and as a lot, I wouldn't be afraid to ask $2500.00, tractor, deck, snow blower and cart. You can come down in price but rarely do you get to add.

Pictures of your machine would help in pricing.

CCMoe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stook1,

It's a niche market for the Ingersoll's somewhat, I have a 4018 with a RM48 deck and front blade that I gave $900.00 for a couple years ago. FIL has a 226 that he purchased while working at IH in the Quad Cities years ago, his is in really good shape, 38" deck, yard sweeper, front blade.

I assume yours has the Onan engine also, which is a plus and a minus, great engine, parts are expensive IMO.

I would make the repairs and as a lot, I wouldn't be afraid to ask $2500.00, tractor, deck, snow blower and cart. You can come down in price but rarely do you get to add.

Pictures of your machine would help in pricing.

CCMoe
Yes, it has an Onan B43M, if recollection serves. I'll try to get the repairs done... Any thoughts on the best way to find someone to work on it for me? I am in CT and a bit leery about bringing it to typical dealer who's unlikely to know the first thing about these. Not that they are especially complex but still.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Yes, it has an Onan B43M, if recollection serves. I'll try to get the repairs done... Any thoughts on the best way to find someone to work on it for me? I am in CT and a bit leery about bringing it to typical dealer who's unlikely to know the first thing about these. Not that they are especially complex but still.
I would keep my eye open for a used machine repair shop.

I'm half way across the US so no help there.

Are there any CT members here that can direct stock1 to a reputable shop.

CCMoe

Reactions: stook1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts