My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would post a few pics of the 318 sittin on her new tires and freshly painted 445 rims. Consider this a PSA: 6 ply V61s are son of a gun to get on. 45 min fight per tire...:eek:mg: But if i didn't want to have any fun I would have just taken them in to the tire shop. :biglaugh: Only thing is my rims did not escape unscathed. But she is going to be a worker and not a trailer queen so they add character. There is a noticable change and improvement in ride heigh, clearance, traction, and handling. 5 ribs steer every bit as well as tri ribs, like ridin on rails. Next its time for minor body paint, as noted by the rust on the front of the frame.

Rear Ags: 4 ply 26x12x12
Front V61s: 6 ply 18x850x8
(Scored these for $131.72 delivered to my door cheapest around)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second set of pics.

Attachments

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
Dang, nice meats. It looks like a full size tractor. Now you need a big honkin stack!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Very nice! I take it you don't plan on cutting with that tractor. I have a 332 and a second set of rims laying around. I though about the 26" on the rear but am scared my deck won't fit as this is the only tractor I have. I have been eyeing the V61s buy in the smaller 16" size. I think yours look really cool and I bet they ride nice!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
saleen49,

I like the looks of those stacks as well and have thought about just running a small elbow and straight pipe off of the existing muffler many a times... Would look sweet.:bannana:

JayClay,

You guessed it. No mowing with this unless its the x500 is down and grass is 6" tall. Although I do have a working deck and mule drive on standby.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks awesome!

How much did you wind up having to shim the fender pan by?
Surprisingly, not one bit. I was fully expecting to have to do so, but not one shim was used. I don't know whether it is due to the wider rims that I am using rather than the stock 318 rims or it might be due to the fact that the Ags weren't new when I got them. Now not knowing how much tread would be on them when new I would gather that these tires are still at 85%-90%.

I tried to get her stuck but those V61 just just seemed to float over whatever I took them through.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Looks very nice. slkpk

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Looks good , what size were the turfs you took off ???

Later,x595

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good , what size were the turfs you took off ???

Later,x595
The rears were carlisle turf chiefs 23x10.5x12.
The fronts were carlisle turf masters 16x6.5x8.

Might not seem like much, but you can really tell the difference when on the tractor.

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Ah Theo, thems bitchin tires for sure. I have to use mine for mowing, so I can't get big ole shoes like these.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those tires look great on the 318 midnitetr8n.
Thanks Diz Jr, I actually feel like I have to climb up on to the tractor now.:sidelaugh

Ah Theo, thems bitchin tires for sure. I have to use mine for mowing, so I can't get big ole shoes like these.
Surprisingly I am finding these to be no worse for wear than the HDAPs on the X500, except for when they begin to spin. Then its a whole different story! :eek:mg:

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I agree with midnitetr8n.
I have had my 5 ribs on the front since last fall and installed the rear lugs at the same time. they do not leave much for marks - 'till you spin 'em! (Which by the way is not east to do) or on really soaked and soggy ground. The front tires leave virtually no marks.
With mine being as heavy as it is i would not change them just for mowing even. It is an awesome combo. great steering control and when the chains are on even without weights I can move a ton of snow and still have some amount of steering control. I have also used it to move my 6X12 enclosed tandem trailer around both empty and partly full and in both cases the trailer leaves way more marks than the tractor.
If you use your machine ONLY for cutting grass then I would not bother but if you use it for ANYTHING more then I would definitely recommend the combo of lugs n ribs.
Just don't spin 'em (o:
Especially where the wife might see the marks

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Especially where the wife might see the marks
Yeah have to keep them out of sight or else.:tsk:

Took a few more pics to show the difference in stance between the x500 and JD318 with new tires.

Attachments

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Theo,

I like the tires on your 500. What brand and sizes are they? Would they fit on my 318 stock wheels?

Also, I wonder if I could get that seat thats on your 500 and put it on my 318. I like that seat.

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
The ones Theo has on his 500 rears, seem to be this tire on the M.E. Tire site Carlisle HD Field Trax. They are under the ATV section. I would just need to match up a good front set of Carlisle's then. Perhaps the Carlisle Front Turf Savers or the Turf Masters?

I am just not sure of the best sizes to get for my fronts and then the rears as well, since I am running a 50" mowing deck. I can't be as cool as Theo, as I still have to be able to mow.:duh:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You could get the 5-ribs in 16x6.50-8 for the front (I think they are about $120 per pair), and then either the Field Trax or All-Trail (or a clone) in 23x10.50-12.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts