My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craftsman 917.272452 with a 21.5 intek v-twin. I picked it up today for a reasonable price, it runs on one cylinder, but the right side, as your sitting on it, has a broken rod, the piston isn't moving. On ebay the rod is only $35. is it worth removing and rebuilding or should I look for a replacement. Not sure if this one has the panel in the back so that i can easily change the rod out.
Just wondering everyone's opinion on what they would do.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you're handy, the only way for you to determine that is to completely dis-assemble the engine and take a look at the crankshaft and internal parts. Whether or not it's repairable will be determine by the amount of internal damage to the crank, pistons, castings (cylinder and oil sump) and any other internal parts.

Since most cranks are upwards of $275 or more, you have a choice of replacing engines (see this post) or buying a used engine of like kind. Once you have it apart you can post pictures to see if it's worth it. The manual for your tractor is here: http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0203210.pdf. Your engine is a 445777-0154-E1 and the manual is here: http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=445777-0154-E1&dn=60990003B Here's a direct replacement for $529.00 (~$560 shipped): http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/briggs_vertical_shaft_engines4376.html

Personally, I like the piece of mind. Installing a new engine gets your feet whet (as in getting tractor-hooked like the rest of us here) in how your tractor goes together, and you have a reasonable amount of certainty that it'll give you years of uninterrupted service.

Craftsman 917.272452 with a 21.5 intek v-twin. I picked it up today for a reasonable price, it runs on one cylinder, but the right side, as your sitting on it, has a broken rod, the piston isn't moving. On ebay the rod is only $35. is it worth removing and rebuilding or should I look for a replacement. Not sure if this one has the panel in the back so that i can easily change the rod out.
Just wondering everyone's opinion on what they would do.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I believe that is the same engine I had in my DYT4000. Best price I saw on a replacement engine was just under $500, so if your parts bill is half that, I think I would repower.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,207 Posts
Hmm, I am going to check into that rod business. Last I knew, B&S did not sell single connecting rods for Intek V twins. You had to buy crankshaft and both connecting rods as a set???

By the way, that engine does not have an inspection plate that you mentioned.

Walt Conner

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Id replace the engine, probably had a bad/dirty air filter, was using oil, and ran out...slung the top rod...but id bet the crank is going to need to be cleaned up, and you'll need a piston, 2 sets of rings, and at least 1 rod, usually the bottom rod is nasty looking and was about to seize as well.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Hmm, I am going to check into that rod business. Last I knew, B&S did not sell single connecting rods for Intek V twins. You had to buy crankshaft and both connecting rods as a set???

By the way, that engine does not have an inspection plate that you mentioned.

Walt Conner
Before a certain build date, you can buy the crank, the rods, and pistons seperately.

After a certain date you can only get the rods and the crank as a set, about 270 bucks.

On some Vanguards, you can only get rods and pistons/rings as a set...:thSick:

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,207 Posts
Before a certain build date, you can buy the crank, the rods, and pistons seperately.

After a certain date you can only get the rods and the crank as a set, about 270 bucks.

On some Vanguards, you can only get rods and pistons/rings as a set...:thSick:
Are any of these interchangeable or did they make a design change so the earlier separate ones will not fit the newer "set" ones? I have not had occasion to need any yet but could happen.

Didn't know it applied to Vanguard also.

Walt Conner

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Are any of these interchangeable or did they make a design change so the earlier separate ones will not fit the newer "set" ones? I have not had occasion to need any yet but could happen.

Didn't know it applied to Vanguard also.

Walt Conner
Id imagine it was a change in the crank pin diameter...Ive never had one or the other next to each other to compare.

Ive usually got 3-4 blown inteks on hand when Im rebuilding one, so any parts I need i just pluck out of a blown one.

"Bought a mower with a blown engine" ...time to cobble together another intek...:ROF

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ebay is where I found the single crank. I only ask about swapping because around here I'll run across opposed twins for sale, but never v-twins, I've only seen one in the past year, used anyways.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Well, I think the opposed twins are L-Head (Flat Head) engines. I have an 18 HP opposed twin in the machine in my avatar. It has about 1200 hours on it and runs great...spent most of its life on Walmart 30 Dino Oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts