My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 10201 I recently acquired is the second V engine Lawn-Boy I've ever owned, and the second one that seems to have an alarmingly large amount of vertical movement to the crankshaft. If the flywheel brake is released, you can push the crankshaft up and down a good 3/16" or so. Both have also made noises as the machine bounces across the lawn, which I'm leaning to believe is the crank walking up and down in the crankcase.
Is this much movement normal? If not, what is the fix? I've never really torn into a V engine yet, but they look simple enough.
I hate to throw a Lawn-Boy under the bus, but these engines seem incredibly shoddy and cheaply built, by comparison to any other L-B engine. It's like the engineers quit at noon and said, "good enough for what it costs".

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This 10201 I recently acquired is the second V engine Lawn-Boy I've ever owned, and the second one that seems to have an alarmingly large amount of vertical movement to the crankshaft. If the flywheel brake is released, you can push the crankshaft up and down a good 3/16" or so. Both have also made noises as the machine bounces across the lawn, which I'm leaning to believe is the crank walking up and down in the crankcase.
Is this much movement normal? If not, what is the fix? I've never really torn into a V engine yet, but they look simple enough.
I hate to throw a Lawn-Boy under the bus, but these engines seem incredibly shoddy and cheaply built, by comparison to any other L-B engine. It's like the engineers quit at noon and said, "good enough for what it costs".
Mine is 13 years old..didn't have an easy life but still runs perfectly-use it every week to mow my 3/4 acre hilly lot with self propel (10304). It has its issues but I think you can sort them out without too much $$.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I hate to say it, but cost-wise it won't be worth fixing. V mowers were (in my opinion) very cheaply made and I think I have 4 of them. If it were me, I'd run it til it blows.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Running it till it drops is most likely the plan. I was just curious though. I have very little invested in it, and it does run well, and actually mulches better than the L21ZPN that it replaced.

It seems as if the V engine machines were designed to compete against the "big box" store mowers. Use them till they're junk and throw them out.
One of the first nails in the Lawn-Boy coffin if you ask me.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
It seems as if the V engine machines were designed to compete against the "big box" store mowers. Use them till they're junk and throw them out.
One of the first nails in the Lawn-Boy coffin if you ask me.
I agree. They cheapened themselves up to compete with other cheap throw-aways. Lawn-Boy had a great name, most always having the light aluminum or magnesium deck, the smooth running 2 stroke. The V was neither... powerful maybe, but they were cheaply and poorly designed in my opinion.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I believe the V has the same piston, connecting rod and rings as an F. It may also have the same crank not sure though. The main problems with V's are they tend to vibrate a lot and not be properly maintained. After all they were built to be a price. Lawnboy's value offering of the 90's.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I believe the V has the same piston, connecting rod and rings as an F. It may also have the same crank not sure though. The main problems with V's are they tend to vibrate a lot and not be properly maintained. After all they were built to be a price. Lawnboy's value offering of the 90's.
Vseries=lots of locktite

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ha yes use lots of locktite! I have only had one V and it was a 10227 it had an incredible amount of power! OMG! once i started it on my rock driveway and it moved all the rocks out from under it! It did shake alot though. I did sell it because it wasnt SP and it was steel but now maybe i shoulda kept it. I would just use it until it dies and then fix it! Or youll probably kill it trying to fix it! LOL

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Ha yes use lots of locktite! I have only had one V and it was a 10227 it had an incredible amount of power! OMG! once i started it on my rock driveway and it moved all the rocks out from under it! It did shake alot though. I did sell it because it wasnt SP and it was steel but now maybe i shoulda kept it. I would just use it until it dies and then fix it! Or youll probably kill it trying to fix it! LOL

I am keeping my first LB (the 10304 SP)-it runs like a top is minty clean and I know its not THE BEST lawnboy but now that I have the 10324 Duraforce It'll bat back up and used once in a while to keep the legs fresh.. I have my first car also. 1978 Jeep Cj-7.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts