'hijack' as they say it wifi
they have that restrictive air gun
law too
and a 55 mph speed limit
what's going on up there?

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Using someone else's wifi whether it's "open" or not.. Is stealing, unless they advertise that they offer "free" wifi. Sure it should be the responsibility of the owner of said wifi to lock it down, but most people are just too stupid.

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
they've made it a FELONY to
'hijack' as they say it wifi
Rightfully so.

If you're not authorized to use it, don't.

In Tennessee it isn't even legal to give your password to someone else for certain subscription services.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brett & clouds
we think making it a felony is a little harsh
felony should be reserved for crimes of violence
other than that don't know what to think of it

·
Just a Tinkerer
1,342 Posts
My thoughts is that it's the same as tapping into cable TV that you don't pay for, etc, etc,etc. It's probably (my guess) been rated as a felony because it's so prevalent now that it's needed for a deterrence. So personally, I would agree with it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you are too dumb/lazy to figure out how to make it secure then you must not care if it gets stolen.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I have actually on more than one occasion term'd into the router of nearby open WAP's fixed the security, locked them down, and then provided the information to the owners

:D

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
The issue with unlocked wifi is that it gives "the bad people" an opportunity to be virtually untraceable when they access the interweb for nefarious purposes... Like hacking into banks or national defense facilities... Because it doesn't look like THEY are doing it, it looks like YOU are doing it... All anyone has to go on AFTER the fact is the MAC/ethernet address of the computer that made the connection... Everyone jokes about the strange car that sits outside of your house with someone huddled over their laptop... Nobody thinks about their neighbours in their apartment building, where there could be a dozen unlocked wifi networks within hacking distance...

·
Registered
325 Posts
brett & clouds
we think making it a felony is a little harsh
felony should be reserved for crimes of violence
other than that don't know what to think of it
People don't realize, felony does not mean violence. Write bad checks, it's a felony. Get caught with a 16yo when you're 18, it's a felony. Download images you think are legal and 3 turn out to be under 18, it's a felony.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
just a heads up if you're
traveling through ole' michigan
and a 55 mph speed limit
what's going on up there?
Incorrect info , some roads are 65 MPH as confirmed by a good friend and fellow member who lives there. :dunno: where you got that. Maybe before they removed the national 55 mph limit ?

Y'all had us confused. :howdy:

·
10K and Climbin!
12,355 Posts
We rented our basement to a girl about 6 years ago and she hooked into our neighbor's Wifi network! Good thing she didn't live in Mich! The things we do to play internet backgammon! We didn't even have internet in our house then!:banghead3 After about a year later the neighbor must have seen her machine in his network and wised up / encrypted & protected it.. Problem solved..

So... Now our atmosphere is regulated and policed by the Government?!?! :dunno:
What's next? The 'Leave the seat up' misdemeanor? :banghead3

When is enough enough?? I know I know.. taboo stuff.. :sorry1:

Are there a lot of anti-establishment crazy's or bank robbers all over that state or is the establishment a little paranoid & scared that a hacker will raise havoc to it's under-protected systems? I feel sorry for the unknowing out-of-stater sap that just wanted to hook up and find out the score of the Tigers game and gets made into some D.A.'s whipping boy / example.

It's a world gone mad.. :Disgus: :banghead3 :banghead3

·
HAMMAN
1,646 Posts
Michigan freeways are 70mph in unpopulated areas and reduced to 65mph in some (not all) heavily populated areas. Most secondary Highways (2 lane) are 55mph.(such as state highways) Piggybacking for wifi is a felony in MI..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Our atmosphere has been regulated by the govt for a long time. I had to get a license to transmit on the HAM radio frequencies. I had to get a pilots license to fly in our atmosphere. I can't release freon without penalty.

The gov't controls every aspect of your life, or regulates it in some way, shape or form. It's disgusting. :banghead3

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Really ?? We want to get political here ?

I THINK we all know where this THREAD will go .. IF this goes any further down that path :thanku:

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
The other day I was driving down the street and as I neared one of my neighbors- a prominent bank president I noticed his last name and and unsecured network pop up on my Iphone asking me if I wanted to connect.

I gave him a phone call and asked if he knew his wireless was unsecured? His response "its okay we dont have anything on our computer anyway"

I then explained to him about people hijacking his signal, guess what..HE STILL hasnt secured it. Oh well...He was warned...

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Using someone else's wifi whether it's "open" or not.. Is stealing, unless they advertise that they offer "free" wifi. Sure it should be the responsibility of the owner of said wifi to lock it down, but most people are just too stupid.
I have actually on more than one occasion term'd into the router of nearby open WAP's fixed the security, locked them down, and then provided the information to the owners

:D
Was it a felony for you to do that? Was it stupid?
:howdy: Hey, it's just me, your friendly wifi hacker dude poppin in to secure your wifi. NO NO, :Stop: don't call the cops, I'll be gone in a se :00000061::sidelaugh

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that's a 55 mph big truck speed limit
no big deal

in our other post there's Windows 7
tool to check machines using your wi fi
but if you want to have someone charged
with a felony you're on your own

no Mr Racing sign of approval on that!

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
We rented our basement to a girl about 6 years ago and she hooked into our neighbor's Wifi network! Good thing she didn't live in Mich! The things we do to play internet backgammon! We didn't even have internet in our house then!:banghead3 After about a year later the neighbor must have seen her machine in his network and wised up / encrypted & protected it.. Problem solved..

What's next? The 'Leave the seat up' misdemeanor? :banghead3
:sorry1:

It's a world gone mad.. :Disgus: :banghead3 :banghead3
Will they fine you if you do not hang the toilet paper the right way next??

The government has no place in your house!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I will admit that I have stolen wifi. We were on vacation on Welsley island in the 1000 islands. My wife had to submit a paper for a class she was taking online. She finished the paper and we discovered that we could not find any establishments on the island with wifi. So what did we do? We drove around the island until the wifi catcher on the laptop found an unsecured network, connected and emailed the paper to the teacher.

Beat me up all you want. I would do it again (unless it was a felony).

In life we make our own decisions and need to be prepared to take responcibility for what we do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts