My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to clean up one of my old trails using the earthcavator. The tractor did very well. But now I need to either put my stack on the tractor, or fix the muffler. lol It just about fell off.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looks great!!!

Is that a trail for tractor riding or something else?

Now might be an opportune time to put a stack on. I like the look of a stack with a weather cap and have considered one myself ('75 ST12) but I'm a little concerned about the engine running too lean or too rich. What are your thoughts about that?

Thank You,

Rod
Oriental, NC

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Looks like the earthcavator really does a great job,keep up the good work!:thThumbsU

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
sweet! more pics?

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i could braze it but the baffles inside are broke off. I think I am gonna put a stack on it and brace the **** out of it lol I dont have anymore pictures and didnt feel like setting up the camera for a video. I am not really worried about the running to rich or to lean as much as I am worried about the aluminum threads in the head. brace brace brace lol :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It looks like it did a very nice job [ I agree TAHOE99 they just have to keep showing those nice toys :) ]
Best bet is to braze that muffler.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i could braze it but the baffles inside are broke off.
I've fixed various mufflers by opening them up and welding the baffles back in place. You can either open them with a bandsaw or by grinding the rolled seam with an angle grinder until the parts separate. Afterwards just weld it all back together.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
It may work but may have issues over time.

From http://jbweld.net/faq.php
Q: How much heat can J-B Weld withstand?
A: J-B Weld (Part # 8265-S, 8265, and 8280) can withstand a constant temperature of 500 degrees F. The maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600 degrees F for a short term (10 minutes).

Q: Will J-B Weld work on an automotive exhaust?
A: Because of the extreme temperatures of exhaust systems, we do not recommend J-B Weld for use on exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Nor do we recommend the product for repairs within the combustion chamber.
And my favorite JBWeld FAQ :trink39:
Q: Is J-B Weld toxic?
A: No. J-B Weld is non-toxic. However, we do not recommend consuming the product.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I dont think that will work.
J-B weld is plastic expoxy...
I had a volkswagon powered dune buggy when I was young. The exhaust valve seat came out and beat the hole too big to fix without having the head machined. I put a gob of JB weld around it and let the valve and spring hold it til it cured. It was however only a temporary fix, it only lasted 7 years.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Although I plan on a new muffler for BMP in the future ($169.00), JB was my only option. Been running BMP for a few weeks now, Will post the results when I pull the muffler around Mar or Apr. Sorry for the hyjack.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, I just fixed the muffler (sorta). Just zapped it a few times with the welder.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
All the baffles broke lose in mine so I put a stack on it. Was good and tight for about half a year til one day it fell back towards me and almost burned my leg. So I got a piece of quarter inch aluminum and made a brace with it bolted to a muffler clamp. Worked for a few months til the aluminum broke. Now i'm going to replace it with a steel one.

·
Slowly turning green...
1,248 Posts
As much as I think stacks are cool, I have a real soft spot for those nelson mufflers so I'm glad you fixed it :) I've got one on my Roper, one on my Snapper and they make those old single cylinder engines sound as smooth as butter.

Oh nice earthcavator by the way. My jealousy hasn't stemmed yet, but I'm sure it will if I ever get into ground engaging 3 point implements, that's out of my league right now!

Looking good Austin!

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This muffler is completely gone now haha. It was gutted from vibrations and rust so I welded some 1 inch galvanized piping to the original elbow and now I got a working stack.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts