My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question about using this product or similar. Directions recommend not to water for 24 hours after application. I put some down about 10 days ago and it rained a little bit more than 72 hours later. It was pretty dry the rest of the time. Is it recommended that after a couple days to water the lawn or not? If so how much should it be watered? Thanks for any tips or pointers.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Jason,

Is that the "weed n feed"? If so, here's my thoughts:

It has weed killer in it. When spread, it sticks to the leaves best if lawn is wet (I believe this is what the bag says - apply to wet grass). I use the morning dew.

Then it should remain unwatered (or un-rained) for minimum 24 hours, so the weed killer can penetrate and "soak into" the weeds.

Since you got rain +/- 72 hours later, the weed killer should have set in properly.

You can now continue to water the lawn as you normally would, or wait for nature to do its job. That'll work the "feed" part of your application into the soil and roots.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its a weed and feed with some 2-4-D I believe for weed control. The place I bought it from recommended a second application 10 days later. I did that this morning and yes the ground was damp. No rain expected for a few days so I was wondering if I should lightly water it in say 3 days or so. I typically haven't been watering the lawn at all. It's mostly weeds, water restrictions, and not very thick preventing me from doing so right now. Hence my attempt to start bringing it back.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I never heard of the 2nd application, but they know better than me.

Sounds like you're on the proper path to recovering your lawn. Watering right now will probably only help the remaining weeds grow, so I wouldn't worry about it. You can continue recovery in the fall with a good dethatching of the dead weeds, some aerating, and overseeding.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been trying to learn a lot over the last few months. Buying a house will tend to do that I guess. Next step is soil test, lime if needed, closer to fall aerate, maybe a pre-seed fertilizer then seeding yup. Also build my rain barrels (300g oil tank, hopefully 2) so that I am ready for next season. I've been using vinegar and salt solution on weeds and it works great. It's just there are so many of them :S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts