My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some uses for a good little 2.5hp engine? I don't know how well it would be on a go kart with my 240# rear end in it. I don't have a go kart of much of a place to drive it around anyways. I bought the engine for a water pump but now not sure I need it. Don't know if its worth anything to anyone either, but I hate to throw away a perfectly good little engine (well, it will be perfect after i fix the little carburetor issue it has).

·
Certified Technician
8,550 Posts
They are honestly, not really useful for much...IVe seen them on really small mini-bikes but they have no power to get going, any kind of slope stalls them.

Ive seen them on small little generators, like 750 watts, but only with a tapered crank.

Maybe useful for a 1/4 scale R/C car project?

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
They didnt use 2.5 HP engines on too many machines--only ones that need very low HP like reel mowers,edgers,or water pumps were about all they were used on...but I still wouldn't just ditch it..

I saw a guy rig up an old chevy 350 water pump to a Briggs engine that couldn't have been more than a 2 or 3 hp,with a v-belt drive ,he used it to pump out his flooded basement,and it worked quite well,though priming it to get the flow started was a pain according to him...but it worked well enough for him to keep it in case it floods again..

Theres probably a bunch of things you can power with that engine...a belt driven fan,maybe a low amperage 12V generator or battery charger,water pump,mini-roto-tiller,etc...it would power a mini bike or small go-kart if you geared it right,gear it down low so it'll have more take-off and hill climbing power,not a lot of top end speed...it'd be ideal for a beginner,who's not ready for a 5-6 HP and 30+ mph top speeds yet!..
I saw a guy at a scrapyard who used an old Briggs 5S engine to power his winch,with a small riding mower tranny for power in and out,I thought it was pretty darn clever!..

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Maybe a small generator? 1 hp is 745 watts, so you'd have a theoretical 1800W to play with. It would be less than that in real life, of course, with inefficiencies, etc.

Harbor Freight's 800W generator is a great price, but personally, I wish they made a small, still inexpensive one that was more like 1500W or so. Something with a little more capability to run/start something like a refrigerator.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bar stool racer. They also have the same type of racers mede from coolers.

Maybe you could make an air compressor out of it. 2.5 horse could make a decent enough flow rate to maybe run a small sand blaster cabinate, or a paint gun. I wonder how big the motors on pull behind leaf vacuums are.

·
Certified Technician
8,550 Posts
Bar stool racer. They also have the same type of racers mede from coolers.

Maybe you could make an air compressor out of it. 2.5 horse could make a decent enough flow rate to maybe run a small sand blaster cabinate, or a paint gun. I wonder how big the motors on pull behind leaf vacuums are.
5 to 8hp.

The 2.5hp engine is only like 90cc's and it weighs a few pounds. It has like 3ft/lbs of torque...:dunno:

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have one with a 100 amp gm alternator to charge batteries out in the field it is lighter and quicker the draging the battery charger and generator out there runs forever on a tank of gas and was under $25 bucks to build

·
Registered
104 Posts
My wb tracor has a Briggs Model 6-S on it and is right around 1.6 HP. What ever you use
it on just gear it right and it will do the job. You would be amazen at how much that
little thing can pull or push.My wb pulls achisle plow very easly. If you decide to througit out let me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm liking the idea of the edger, sprayer (my initial plan was to use it for a sprayer pump), small compressor and small alternator/generator. These are all things that slipped my mind, except of course the pump idea. I may end up rigging it up to my Hypro 4101XL pump. It only needs like 1/2hp electric motor so even if it needed 3x that for a gas engine, the 2.5hp engine is still overkill for it.

I question if this lil engine could pull that 100 amp alternator at full load or not but its a great idea. Also could find a good lil compressor pump somewhere good for airing up tires or something. I just finished putting together a BIG air compressor using a harbor freight predator 420 engine and saylor beall 705 pump on an 80 gal tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts