My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I hadn't got this gen-u-ine Stihl "accessory" for a way reduced price it would be going back to the dealer and I would be adapting my old Sears gutter kit the new blower.

My old Sears kit tubes are made from regular shopvac tubing material but slightly shorter than regular vac tube lengths. They are rigid but don't actually lock together with clamps so ya gotta tape 'em together to keep them from blowing off up onto the roof ("DRAT!).:D There's a "U" shaped bend for the end and a reducing nozzle down to about 1¼" for velocity increase.

The Stihl "Gutter Cleaning Kit" consists of a couple adapters for different Stihl blowers, 3 four foot straight tube sections with gear clamps and 2 angled sections for the business end. The problem is in the material rigidity of the tubes. They are too flexible for the amount of wind coming out the end. It's like trying to clean out gutters 12' over your head with a fly rod, as soon as you rev the blower the tubes begin to bend back and form an arc which causes the nozzle end to wave around. It took me longer to do my gutters with this gas blower and kit than getting out the electric one, finding the 100' extension, plugging it in, moving the extension again, etc.....

Looks like it's back to the ol' drawing board and roll of duct tape to fit the my Sears vac tubes to the Stihl blower. Save your money if you're thinking about this one and make your own from regular shop vac straight sections. It'll be a little heavier but it won't fight back when you use it.

I was doing so good there for a while... hadn't got stung on any purchases in a long time!:D

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ouch! I hear you. Its like these engineers never use the stuff they design. I often make or modify my own shop vac accessories. I have made several carpet water extraction wands. I made a A-coil cleaning attachment.

You might consider 2" thinwall PVC drain pipe for you up flow tube.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you duck tape a length of aluminum conduit to it to stiffen it up?
That sure crossed my mind but the added weight @ 12' might be more than this ol' boy's bursitus could bear!:ROF

You might consider 2" thinwall PVC drain pipe for you up flow tube.
That's a good idea too... I still have the Sears tubes and they work fine with the little electric, maybe I'll just go back to that adapted setup and make a nice set of fake stacks for Johnny with the new tubes. They sure won't add much weight!:ROF:D:D

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
HH, I emailed Stihl asking if they had done anything to improve / rectify the flimsy gutter cleaning kit. I never received a reply but since I had the new leaf blower I bought the kit anyway. Your assessment is spot on. Very flimsy tubes. Still, it's better than climbing a ladder. Oh, and I think I'm going to tape or glue the curved top part to the straight tube. While trying to keep it aimed IN the gutter I accidentally hit the edge of the roof just hard enough to allow it to become dislodged and had to get the ladder and rake out to get it off the roof.so the ladder was still brought into play. All in all I'd give this kit a 2 out of 5 stars. I don't think it's worthy of the Stihl name.

·
UK Poster
241 Posts
I don't know about the Stihl products sold in the USA, but this sounds about right for the c*** they are selling over here. The MS170 and 180 saws give so much trouble that we now advise customers to put their money to a better saw rather than repair them. Their cheaper line trimmers are the quality of chinese Ryobi, but with a Stihl price tag, in fact under the covers they are so similar I think they are from the same factory in China!

Most contractors round here now are still using Stihl for high end chainsaws, but more reliable, lighter and more powerful Tanaka for smaller chainsaws plus blowers, hedgetrimmers, brushcutters etc.

·
-
1,829 Posts
I bought the Weedeater kit, very stiff tubing, sections screw together.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQU3P0/ref=oss_product

Got to wear a whole lot of crud that I blew out of the gutters this summer. I found that with all the tubes linked together I have to set the hook on the gutter or my blower just blows the whole thing over and it's hard to hold it up at that length.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
So I'm guessing my br600 would just straighten the bend?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the 2 echo pb-755t back pack blowers and I hasve the gutter kit for them and they work quite well with the propper wind dirrection.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So I'm guessing my br600 would just straighten the bend?
That's funny!
I don't think trying the tubes with a 600 is a good idea; If I were to venture a guess, the only reason the OP's sears tubes worked well is because the electric blower doesnt have enough airflow (CFM) to make them bow; If I recall, the smallest stihl handheld gas blower (BG 55) is still somewhere around 420 CFM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts