My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BMW guy with a JD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First: I'm a complete tractor newbie, so please be gentle!

I'm considering taking delivery of a used 2008 x304. It has 250 hours on the clock.

Is there anywhere I can read up on what the expected maintenance windows are for this model? What it might be needing at about this time? Previous owner was a landscaper. I believe he did all his own maintenance, so no JD service records. That said, he seems like a good guy, and I'm sure he knew what he was doing with it to keep it running well for a small business.

I'm handy with a wrench and electronics both, so I'm not scared about jumping into a big ol' pile of DIY, but this would be my first foray into lawn tractor land.

I'd also welcome any general comments about whether or not that tractor / year / hours screams "stay away!" or is decent. It would be used for mowing my 1 acre with lots of oak trees (acorn droppings), which is mostly a mild grade with 1 spot of steeper grade. I'm already aware this is the K46 trans model, but I believe it should still be OK for my application.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Is this what Your Looking for http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMM158184_E9/Output/Index.html?tM=FR

Service Intervals
Break-In after 8 Hours
• Change engine oil and filter.

Break-In after 50 Hours
• Change transaxle oil and filter - X360.

Every 50 Hours or Annually
• Lubricate front axle pivot and axle spindles.

• Lubricate mower spindles, pivot points, and lift pedal.

• Lubricate rear U-Joints - 4-Wheel Steer Models.

• Lubricate power steering cylinder ends - X360.

Every 100 Hours or Annually
• Change engine oil and filter.

• Replace spark plugs.

• Replace air filter elements, both foam and paper.

• Replace fuel filter.

• Clean engine cooling fins.

• Check mower belt.

• Sharpen / replace blades.

• Clean bottom side of deck.

• Check tire pressure.

Every 200 Hours
• Change transaxle oil and filter - X360.

• Check / adjust valve clearance. See your John Deere dealer for this service.

BTW the X304 should Be fine For mowing the Lawn Or Snow removal I Know You get a Little White Stuff down there in NC:thThumbsU

·
BMW guy with a JD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electronic owners manual is a great start! Looks like I've got my afternoon's reading material.

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
I didn't Know what the SER Number was so That Might Not be the exact Manual for Your future Purchase But they really didn't change that Much Other that Dropping the K58 in 2007 for the K46:thThumbsU

1 - 4 of 4 Posts