My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on an 810 or 812 on LI that belongs to one of my old rental customers. Here is what I know.
1. The hood is missing, so don't know if it's a 10 or 12 HP.
2. All four tires are flat.
3. I have not seen this first hand, had a friend do some reconaissance for me.
4. Tractor is not running, so mechanical condition is unknown.
5. No mower deck, only a snow plow.
It is near 300 miles from me, but I would combine this with another trip. What do you experts think would be a fair offer? I would be reselling this, as I already have a perfect 16G.

·
Premium Member
5,143 Posts
You can tell whether it's an 810 or 812 once you get the numbers off the engine. Hoods can be had, and replacement decals too. Not sure what the going price on tires is.

If it's not been running for a while, it seems to me it's quite a crap shoot on whether it's reasonable to refurb it. Doubly so if it's been left outside.

This spring I got an almost-running 812 plus a usable 50" deck and 38" blower for 400. So for a non-runner with just a plow.... Well, draw your own conclusion.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tractor is inside and I'm told the paint is decent. I wasn't thinking of a resto, just get it running well and looking AGAP.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
It should be worth $100 to $200. I wouldn't go any more for a non-runner that's missing pieces. If it turns out to be a dud, you can get your money back from parts.

If you are close to centeral Maryland, I have a couple of hoods that would fir it.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'll keep that in mind. I'm closer to central MD than I am to LI, and I don't have to fight the GW bridge and the Cross Bronx expwy. I'm going to throw out a $200 figure and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I got the beast home, here is the story. It's an 810 and was owned by an electrical contractor, as any repairs were made with electrical wire. It is missing the hood, part of the grille, and needs a good cleaning, but it should clean up well as the original paint is very good. The plow has been used and is missing the left-center-right control linkage. The clutches look almost new and appear to be original. The coil, condenser, starter and carburetor are all original to the machine. The fuel tank is new. The steering needs to be adjusted. I'll get some pictures in the next several days. Arcam, I will PM you regarding your hoods and any other parts I may need once I investigate further. This is definitely too good to part out, but I wouldn't want to have paid more than $200 for it.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a little work on the old girl today (1978). The good- the tractor appears to have never had a PTO driven attachment. It looks like it was only used for snow removal. I cleaned the points and got the engine running with my oil can fueling device. The engine is in perfect condition mechanically, it absolutely runs like new. The bad- the charging system is not working. I haven't investigated that yet. The carb. and fuel pump will need extensive work- the PO epoxied the bottom of the fuel bowl, as it must have leaked. The carb. may be OK if I can remove the bowl. All in all, when I'm done here, I think I'll have a really clean original 810. I'll try for pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up, but my grille is good, I just need the insert. Here are a few pictures of the beast, I can't get over how well the original paint on this has held up. This must have been the low budget model, it never had headlights. I adjusted the steering, it has absolutely no play any more. It was owned by an electrician, everything was held on with wire. Glad he wasn't working on my house.

Attachments

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, but my grille is good, I just need the insert. Here are a few pictures of the beast, I can't get over how well the original paint on this has held up. This must have been the low budget model, it never had headlights. I adjusted the steering, it has absolutely no play any more. It was owned by an electrician, everything was held on with wire. Glad he wasn't working on my house.
Wow! You weren't kidding about good paint! It looks like you just painted it.

Are you coming over Antram's in Somerset on the 4th?

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
VERY nice! :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! You weren't kidding about good paint! It looks like you just painted it.

Are you coming over Antram's in Somerset on the 4th?
I think I will, it's less than 2 hours from me, and I've never been there before. I still need a hood and grille insert.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
That machine is in great shape. The paint still looks factory fresh.

As for your charging woes, check the regulator/rectifier. If it's the finned aluminum box type, the connections inside the plug tend to corrode and cause a bad connection or a burned connection if let go long enough. I am not sure where it's located on your tractor but that would be where I start looking for charging problems.

My Jake built Fords have single cylinder Kohlers on them. They have the same finned regulator and it is a common problem with them. Good luck with the investigation!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts