My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
:Welcome: Gary thanks for the link i made it a sticky.

·
Crazy about Green and Red
65 Posts
All the tractors that I have seen lately that are used in the 40 - 65 hp have been extremly overpriced. But I guess that is the market right now. Not only are they over priced but some of the stuff out there for sale is JUNK.

·
Guru on the Mountain
2,072 Posts
Tau44, takes some looking and for you maybe some traveling. Check out the Heavy Equipment Trader available from Trader Publishing, covers south middle TN, AL, GA and parts of East MS. I was looking for a second tractor and managed to get a nice condition one-owner trade in from my dealer, a 1996 JD5200 2wd with 925 hours for $8750, about 1/2 price of new.

·
Crazy about Green and Red
65 Posts
That is not too bad at all. I will have to do that. Everything I have seen has been way overpriced.

Les

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Gentlemen, this is not a science rather it is an art! the reason for as someone said , (Tau44 I believe said all he looked at are overpriced) is:
1.Time of year.
2.What's popular in your area.
3.How much did the dealer allow for the trade he made in the first place.
4.How long has he had it.
5.How much is your fellow buyer willing to pay for it.

Simply put you are blaming the the wrong guy for pricing a used unit!
If it is priced more than the market will bear then you can expect to see it on the lot forever!
If it is priced too low it will be gone yesterday!

If you are selling it , you want as much as you can get, conversely if your buying you want to pay as little as possible!

We have a saying "their is an a** for every seat " sorry but it goes with the territory! To maximize your buying percentages !
1.Buy off season.
2.Buy the less popular in your area.
3.Buy based on the length of time you have seen it for sale (here the longer the more discount to you the buyer.
4.If you like it and are satisfied with it as is! Stop haggling , remember your labor is cheaper than his and take the difference in a lower price!! (Important , You might LOVE IT but to the dealer it's just another thing to move off the lot)!! If there are things you can fix easily and he doesn't have to screw with it, you save money and he doesn't have to tie up his shop!
5. Cash talks BS walks!!

I share this with you guys because I have in one form or another been around this game for years! I'll just throw it out there what you do with it is up to you!!

Good Luck and happy buying no matter what you decide!

·
Registered
1 Posts
whats the going price for a real nice parade ready 1963 D-15 series 2 alice chalmers. i want to see if i got a deal or not.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks like they did away with it. All I got was
Sorry, you have requested a file that no longer exists. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts