My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Looking to mow 4 acres and garden 1 acre using ground engaging impliments such as a brinly plow. Will they do what I want I was originally looking at a new craftsman pgt 9000 and was told that it might not hold up with the ground engaging attachments. Any pros or cons? Do they both have a pto? What are areas of concern to look at when buying one of these used.

Thanks,
Dan

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You have two very different machines listed for comparison.

The 318 had an optional 2000 RPM PTO. Not terribly useful on other than the JD tiller and trail mower made for that PTO. It is a two cylinder air cooled gasoline engine. I have a category 0 3 point hitch on mine. It is certainly up to the tasks you outline as I perform those and many others. It has a single speed rear end and a hand operated drive control. It has 2 spools of remote hydraulics, a hydraulic operated deck lift. You can get a decent 318 for $1800 though several perfectly serviceable units have recently been had for less than $1000.
http://www.deere.com/en_US/homeowners/products_non_current/318.html?link=enav

The 455 is a liquid cooled diesel with a 2 speed rear end and a foot operated hydro control. I believe its rear PTO is the standard 540 RPM. If you can find one for under $5000 you are doing well.
http://www.deere.com/en_US/homeowners/products_non_current/455.html?link=enav

Parts availability for either is good.

Problems to look for are high hours, oil leaks, noises, sloppy hydrostatic operation, clunky operation of the deck lift.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
The 455 is a liquid cooled diesel with a 2 speed rear end and a foot operated hydro control.
Hi D-Dogg ,

I'm assuming the 2 speed rear end is a typo on your part ???

Later,x595

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
More like brain fard. Should have said diff lock. Was thinking about a 420.

Thanks for catching that.

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Many consider the 318 to be one of the best, if not the best L&G tractor ever built. I am a die hard cub fan, but I have a 318 that has been repowered with a new Onan P220 20hp engine. If you can find one with a low hour or freshly rebuilt engine, add the ag tires, 3pt and weights and you are set. Unless you need the 540rpm rear pto, you can have a really nice 318 for much less than the 455. The 318 can be found with 46" and 50" mower decks, the 3pt hitch is reproduced by Ruegg Mfg in Ohio. Unless you need the larger 455 and its rear pro, my vote is for the ever popular 318.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Unless you need the 540rpm rear pto, you can have a really nice 318 for much less than the 455. The 318 can be found with 46" and 50" mower decks, the 3pt hitch is reproduced by Ruegg Mfg in Ohio. Unless you need the larger 455 and its rear pro, my vote is for the ever popular 318.
My vote is for the 318 as well, again unless you need the diesel power of the 455 and its 540 rpm rear pto. My 1988 318 with the turfs, 46" deck, and 865 hrs (when I bought it) cost me $900. And when I tell you this machine has more than enough power for the average home owner, as others will testify, it really does power through whatever chore you could throw its way. With either machine being used, just make sure it has been well kept and that you perform a thorough inspection before buying and do a complete round of routine maintenance after buying.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
More like brain fard. Should have said diff lock. Was thinking about a 420.Thanks for catching that.
Hi D-Dogg ,

No harm , no foul , I do enjoy reading your posts ...

Later,x595

·
Super Moderator
16,370 Posts
Between the two. I love the 318. But it is easeir to Get 540RPM PTO attachments than 2000RPM rear PTO implements. and there are alot of after market manufacturers that make Cat 0 3point PTO implements and attachments. So In the long Run if you need a PTO tiller go with the 455. If you just want to get a 10inch Plow then go with the 318. Best GT ever made. But it has limit's In todays market Because of the 2000RPM Rear PTO.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 318, back in the day, was probably the best 'deal' out there. What you got for the price was a great tractor.
I am skeptical about the parts availability-I think the 420 and 318, at least in some years, shared the same ignition module which my dealer told me is no longer available from Deere. I have 3 420's, and I am a little concerned about this. I figure i can probably cusomize something that will work.

Like cadetpwr wrote, you can get a really nice 318 for 1/3 the price of a really nice 455. I own a 455, used it all day today , and i will say it is alot more comfortable and user friendly than the 318. If you are mowing 4 acres your back will LOVE the seat on the 455 as compared to the 318, not to mention the foot pedal is nice too.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Newbie here. Looking to mow 4 acres and garden 1 acre using ground engaging impliments such as a brinly plow. Will they do what I want I was originally looking at a new craftsman pgt 9000 and was told that it might not hold up with the ground engaging attachments. Any pros or cons? Do they both have a pto? What are areas of concern to look at when buying one of these used.

Thanks,
Dan
What's your budget, Dan? I'd go with a bigger, heavier machine, the ride will be better, and if you plan to keep it, it will weather the use longer. Not trying to steer you from either of the two above mentioned JD's as they are very good. If you are concerned about parts availability, something in the X4--,X5-- or X7-- series would be worth looking at also. They are the "descendents" of the 318 and 455, newer, and have what you're looking for. The rear PTO is 540 (optional, but readily available), 3-point lift is available also. Gas or diesel, 2WD or 4WD, and all wheel steer if you like.

Of course, being newer, the price will be a bit more, but you can pick one of the X4--'s up starting around $4K. The new X7--'s start around $9K

·
Premium Member
7,954 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to make a step-down gear box to reduce the 2000rpm pto down to approximately 540rpm? A simple 4 to 1 step down gearbox would get you to 500rpm, which would probably be close enough for most 540rpm rated implements.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Yes, a member (pretty sure it was Blacksmithman) built one and published the ratios. He used a sprocket and chain reduction system, reducing twice to get the exact 540 RPM.

Having trouble finding the post, but will dig a little more this evening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts