My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one see a problem or is there a problem with using anti-seize compound on the area where the plate slides onto the end of the crank shaft above the blade. Now I am talking about just enough to go between the plate and the crank and no more. My thinking is, in the future if or when the blades is removed and the plate needs to be removed it will be easier to get the plate off.

What are the thoughts.

Thanks to all for your thoughts ahead of time.

Dick

·
Registered
586 Posts
Can't speak to that specific use but will tell you that any nut or bolt that has to be removed on either of my tractors gets never-sieze on it the first time I remove it. Had problems over the years with bolts on decks snapping the first or second time I took them off. Since I started putting never-sieze on them I haven't had anymore problems.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I dont see any problem. There is no movement here and the compound should serve the purpose that you intend. I certainly use it to avoid bolts snapping and causing delays in repairs. I say give it a try.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
I have been doing just that for years! I always use it on the tappered area and the nut and shaft threads too. The blade mount serves two perposes, one to mouth the blade and the other and most important is to provide a slip clutch to the conection of the blade and crankshaft so as to prevent or help keep the shaft and connecting rod from being damaged if you hit a solid object. It is also important that you not over tighten the blade mounting nut so that the proper about of slip is available if you should hit something. Using anti-seize I have never had a nut come loose and I have never replaced the nut after so many ons and offs as per recomended by the service manual. Slather the tappered area with anti-sieze all you want, you will be rewarded with no stuck blade adapters for all the rest of your days! :thThumbsU

P.S. Don't forget to use a little on the spark plug threads too!:trink39:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me because I hate it when the adapters get stuck!!

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
I always go back with anti-seize on the blade adapter. I use the high temp copper stuff by Permatex. I want it to come off easy the next time and I want it to slip if I hit something with the blade.

Anti-seize and about 50lbs of torque has been doing very well for me. I don't put it on the threads, just the taper.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
They're no problem for me. I just haul out the smokewrench, light it with my Bic lighter, cuss because I burned my thumb, and then make the flange a nice cherry red and tap it off. Then I go in the house and run water over my thumb to make it feel better. Where is that **** striker, anyway?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.