My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a fairly large pile of composted leaves in the corner of my backyard from a few years ago when I bagged my leaves(I now mulch them) & have always had a small dip in the middle of my yard that has always held water(red clay in that spot) when it rained & hasn't ever grown grass very well. Can I use the composted leaves to level out the dip? Should I use a tiller to till the composted leaves into the existing ground? Or is dirt my only option to fill in the dip? Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I feel your pain.

Have to agree, that fill in with topsoil,dirt then a light coat of composted leaves till in will give a great start for new grass seed.

I have similar issue. But I am composting with cardboard and grass clippings and let breakdown for a year. Then spread it over the the tree roots and some smaller uneven spots but I am only covering about 4 to 6 in deep.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so it sounds like I'll use the dirt to fill hole then spread the composted leaves on top to help with growing grass.

I also have a lot of exposed roots so I'll probably cover them with dirt as well & then use the composted leaves again to help grow grass there as well.

Sent from the MTF Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts