My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A trencher was on a trailer ahead of me today and I was thinking that one could be quite a robust garden tractor. I don’t know how fast they are, how sharp they turn or if I’d attempt to put a mower deck on one but I bet they could push a lot of snow with a blade on the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Speed and maneuverability are not exactly the qualities one looks for in a trencher. I would think that most of the power is not directed towards the locomotion, but for the purpose it was designed for.

2,451 Posts
That blade on the front is powerful enough to push piles of dirt back in a trench so I think it would be interesting to see it push maybe 6 inches of snow or break loose frozen ice on a driveway.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I'm sure it would plow snow fine, as the 54" plow I put on my 52" Snapper hydro walkbehind mower has no problem. I've even added 1' extensions to each side to hold more snow. It can push with snow completely filling the plow to the top, and with snow spilling off both sides. Only thing it doesn't do well is travel through deep snow with the plow up(it has a very short wheelbase and not great ground clearance), and it doesn't have enough mass to angle plow very well.

It works so well for me, that I bought another walkbehind unit (52" Husqvarna hydro) that I'm making a brush attachment (with a BercoMac 48"? brush I think I have) for it, and am considering getting a BercoMac snowblower to swap with the brush for deeper snow.

Probably the main issue will be getting the trencher to go faster, as it's designed to go fairly slow (which is good for trenching), and you'd want to go a bit faster for cutting lawns or even plowing/snowblowing. And it might not be great on grass if it has skid-steer style steering...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yeah, all good thoughts, but what do you do about all those trenches left behind?? LOL :))

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ariens93GT2 the last 5 years I’ve been in quite a battle with Lyme disease and haven’t been on here much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts