My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Eire I had suggested it earlier but I don't know if you tried it. Pull everything in the fuse box except the 20amp fuse then turn the key on. If the fuse blows still then the short is on that circuit only. If it doesn't blow then start putting items back in and see what triggers the fuse to blow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
according to the manual
slot A=unswitched power to key switch

I’ll try that, but I think it’s possibly the starter or solenoid, because when I turn the key the fuse pops and after that when I turn the key you don’t hear any click of the solenoid so I think that usually means the solenoid is bad

Attachments

·
Treefarm
61 Posts
according to the manual
slot A=unswitched power to key switch

I’ll try that, but I think it’s possibly the starter or solenoid, because when I turn the key the fuse pops and after that when I turn the key you don’t hear any click of the solenoid so I think that usually means the solenoid is bad
If you think the solenoid is bad disconnect it from the circuit and run an ohms reading on it for resistance. If it shows zero ohms it is shorted. it would be good to run resistance check on both coils in the solenoid and see if they are in spec.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Cheers. Yeh I plan on doing that today after work if I can get time

either the solenoid is bad or it is not getting power as I don’t hear a click when I turn the key

but if the solenoid was bad it shouldn’t be popping fuses though right

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,447 Posts
Not necessarily, if the solenoid or starter (or wires to these items) are shorted (0 ohms = bad), then it will blow the fuse as soon as the key (power is applied) is turned. If they are open (no resistance) then the fuse will not blow and the solenoid or starter will not function. These can also fail mechanically (not move linkage or engaged starter to flywheel.

·
Treefarm
61 Posts
Solenoids have 2 circuits like a relay.
The lower amperage circuit sends power to a coil in the solenoid which when activated closes the circuit which allows the higher amperage to run from the battery, same operation as the starter solenoid. If the lower amp coil is shorted as soon as you turn the key the amperage is running right to ground and popping the fuse because it is not being forced to run through the coil before going to ground. A quick ohms reading will confirm if the solenoid is shorted I hope.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So disconnect the wires on the solenoid and measure the resistance across it ....will try do this this evening if I get home early

would be weird to have it go at 80 hours

·
Treefarm
61 Posts
Good point they can fail mechanically but still spec out electrically ok. Use to see that all the time with EVAP canisters exposed to salt.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Since we know the prob is a short beyond fuse A this is not a helpful msg regarding OP's problem. But OP could not find the fusible link so I wanted to add that it is the only wire from the hot side of the battery in addition to the battery cable.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm with coj that solenoid or starter is NOT the problem...tractor was running, hit a bump, and blew fuse, and maybe fusible link also. Bob

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,447 Posts
He was told to look down around the starter for the fusible links (post #12) first page of discussion, but there could be some in pedestal near battery positive cable, he just has to look at those areas really close.

·
Premium Member
9,310 Posts
Yeh it is time consuming
The dealer is coming to pick up but earliest pick up is Friday and said he won’t look at it until next week. These are the biggest Deere store in MA and nearby!
Ah ha! So your the one that is going to cause that rain event this weekend to turn into 3 feet of snow. Seriously, the weather looks pretty cooperative around here for about the next week.

·
Registered
459 Posts
So how many of us live in MA and bought their tractor from Padula??

·
Premium Member
9,310 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Solenoid tested fine, it’s getting 12v
Removed the NOCO wiring to test that wasn’t an issue and it’s fine, still blew a fuse when I replaced with new fuse and tested again

it’s blowing the fuse when I half turn the key, even with the lights and rear 12v outlet turned off

waiting on the service crew to pick up

·
Treefarm
61 Posts
Please let us know what you find out. I’m starting to lose sleep on this and keep looking for updates every hour when I should be working.:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
LOL that’s funny
I hated seeing it being loaded on to the truck to be honest, and I’m curious about what exactly is going on, I still think it’s an issue with the starter, or dash console if I was to narrow it down to two things

·
Treefarm
61 Posts
One good thing is you kept at it and I would think really improved your diagnostic skills. I can’t remember who posted it but agree without all the schematics and diagrams electrical issues can be tough to pin down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you try the ignition switch. My Cub cadet would sometimes blow the fuse when I turned it off. Would run fine but blow the fuse sometimes when it is shot off .Turned out to be a short in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
949 Posts
So it seems like the dealer has had it for at least a week. Any update on the cause?

Rob

41 - 60 of 68 Posts