My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was using my x758 to clear snow and with the snow blower pto running I hit a small bump where my asphalt transitions to cobble, the engine went out, and now when I turn the key there is absolutely NOTHING! No lights on the dash no turning or crank, zero!

I had this problem in the last snow storm and it blew the 20A fuse in B (see pic) and I replaced that and everything was back up and running. Today at the same spot the same thing happens. I checked the fuses B was fine but A was blown. I replaced A, thinking that would be it, and nothing. I replaced B also, and nothing.

I looked for obvious loose wires, battery connections, skinned wires, burnt wires, nothing whatsoever is wrong yet it won’t restart

I’veuploaded the manual, see pics. I checked the seat switch, it’s connected, and the PTO is not engaged and the park brake is on when I turn the key yet it’s completely lights out.

please help!

·
Treefarm
61 Posts
Hi Erie
what you want to do is work backwards from your fuse box to the battery to find the open circuit using either a voltage meter or trouble light but my suspicion is that the fusible link is blown.
The fusible link looks like a thick wire, usually connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery. It is designed to protect the rest of the wiring harness in case of a short. You can get a replacement at autozone for the correct amps. It could also just be a separate blade fuse in a single holder instead of a thick wire.
The other item to check is the diode. Diodes are 1 way gates and only let current pass in 1 direction but I would check the fusible link first. I would only suspect the diode if it is in the circuit prior to the 20 amp fuses you mentioned as A and B but after the fusible link.
After getting current flowing again I would try and find what is causing the short to occur. You mentioned that hitting a bump caused the problem. I think something is shifting during the bump and rubbing against exposed metal. This may not be easy to find but just following along the wiring harness may find where the insulation has rubbed off the main wire carrying current to the fuse panel. Hope you find the root cause with out too much problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea what the fusible link looks like? I’ve tried and failed to look for this a few times

·
Treefarm
61 Posts
I’ve only had 2 types. 1 looked like a thick wire with a round little barrel on it. I know poor description. The other type was just a single fuse holder with a plastic cover.
if you grab a cheap trouble light you can check at the fuses for voltage. If the light comes on you know every point in the circuit from the battery until that point is good. If it does not then there is a break in the circuit somewhere prior to that point. You can also check anywhere along the circuit where the wire is exposed, junctions connectors etc.
most of my trouble shooting has been with cars, hopefully some one can give a better description of the fusible link on here.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly more of a vibration going over the cobble
Battery connections checked no issues, solid!
Can’t find this **** fuse! Can only find those that are in the fuse box! Deere manual is terrible
Mines a 2016+ x758

·
2,860 Posts
Start with a multimeter for continuity...start with one probe on the pos on the battery....and touch the other probe to every cable connection you come to along the way , assuring that you have continuity...and check that the ground cable is securd to the chassis

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ground cable and battery cables are definitely secure. Just wondering if there’s a pinch anywhere

is there any possibility a hydraulic spike can somehow shut down the electrical system?

my thinking is the vibration rubbed a wire against something, but I wonder also if the snowblower rotors hitting the cobble somehow puts in a hydraulic pressure spike to shut down everything? I changed the hydraulic system last summer to put in a CTC loader, everything worked fine

in fact since I installed the NOCO battery tender and dash quick mount I’ve had this problem but I’ve checked all the connections and no issues with it and battery reads 100% charge

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
To test the fusible link jump the positive terminal to wherever it goes next with a jumper cable and see if that cures it. If it does then the link is in that battery cable

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
Are the wires to seat safety switch rubbing seat suspension ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked the seat just to make sure that it was connected, I didn’t go over the wiring with a flash light to see if there’s a bare patch of exposed wire or anything but I’ll check
Thanks

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Is there a significant reason you're facing that mandates that you have to make the repair? Wiring issues like this can be like finding a gremlin in the attic sometimes. If you aren't comfortable or familiar with the wiring system (and few owners are or need to be) then call your service shop and have them come and get it and make the repairs. You'll have a bill, but you'll also have your machine back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeh they are coming to pick up by friday
Not sure warranty will cover it or how long it is for
Machine is approaching maybe 3 years old

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,597 Posts
Good Luck. You were blowing snow at the time, any chance you accidentally left the PTO on?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, the PTO is definitely in the off position and the brake is on at start up.

is removing the instrument cluster difficult? Anyone completely remove it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Eire this sounds like a harness problem to me since it did the same thing twice in exactly the same scenario. Something is pinched and chafed under the seat pan or along the frame.

Also did replacing the fuse fix it again? or you have no power still?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s my thoughts too

no, still have no power, replaced the fuse(s) but power never came back. Assuming something somewhere is burnt

1 - 20 of 68 Posts