My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold a 12yr old X300 42” deck and am looking to replace it with an X590. I used my X300 for grass cutting, detaching, aeration, and lots of yard work pulling a trailer (dirt, mulch, etc). I have a 1 acre yard and am trying to decide on which size deck to get with the 590, 48” or 54”. My JD Dealer doesn’t have any 590’s in stock, so either machine would need to be ordered. Apparently the only way currently to get the 48” deck is to order the 590 with no deck and order the deck and have dealer install. A 54” deck could be ordered as one unit, machine and deck.

With all that said, I can’t decide with size deck to get - i test drove a 570 today with the 54” deck and the deck seemed huge, I’m worried my mower won’t be as nimble or agile in doing yard work. I also worry that I will get a better cut with the 48” as i have some uneven spots in the yard.

Apologize for the long first post, just looking for any advice on which size deck to go with.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally I’d go with the 54. I live on a big hill, and have scalped a few spots when cresting a hill. But, I used to mow at 3 inches. Now I mow at 4 inches and the grass is thick and healthy in those spots. I have a 52 inch walk behind I use on my commercial lawns, and an X540 with a 48 inch deck I use on my lawn. I can’t tell any difference in the quality of cut between the two. The friend I bought the X540 from special ordered it with the 48. One of my old Deere’s had a 54 and I liked it. May have been my 318?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Either choice is fine. I’ve had both. I use my 54” on 1/2 acre lots and like it for cleaning up leaves (Lots). If you have some narrow spots to get through, get the 48”, not much difference in the cut. If you have nice open spaces, go bigger if you want done faster. I used my 60” zero turn yesterday and got a great cut. Was getting a great cut on 2 acres with 52” on Husqvarna, but I think I got an even better cut with the 60” with new blades after cutting 2 hours on a large open, but rough field.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I have a 54" on my X585 but I think you may want to consider the 48" for your size acreage. I don't think you'll save a lot of time with the 54" but the 48" might give you a little better fit in tighter places if you have them.
I debated over a 54" or 60" for mine but most advice was go with the 54" for my acreage. I have not been disappointed in the smaller deck. So maybe similar?
IS there a cost difference between the decks?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have an X300 with the 42" deck and also an X534 with the 48" deck. The 48" deck is bigger (no surprise there), but it has 4 anti-scalp wheels (mine also has the nose roller, but I don't think the new Accel decks have that). The wheels is set correctly really help following the contours of the land.

There are many people here that like the 54" deck because it is bigger. If you have lots of wide open non-bumpy grass land to mow, I am sure it is great. I don't have that, so the 48" is as wide as I would want to go. What I did was take a 4' 2x4 and walked it around various locations to see how not flat my land is. None of my land is smooth enough or really large enough to benefit from a larger deck.

The JD Mow app say I mow about an acre and it takes about an hour. With the X534, I find it pretty enjoyable, if not fun. With the X300, it was less so, but not too bad either. It definitely took longer, because the 42" deck frequently left an uncut strip down the middle, which meant I had to overlap more than 50%. The three blade 48" deck doesn't leave uncut strips, so I only overlap a few inches. This reduced the number of passes on the few larger areas I have.

·
Super Moderator
15,646 Posts
Hey since your use to a 42inch deck Have You dealer order a X590 less deck then a 42inch deck for a X300 series Now Most will say You Can't trim with it But You Can You Have 3inches beyond the left rear tire. Islanders Just put a 42inch deck On His New X570 My new tractor. I also Have friend with a Older X540 with a 42inch deck . If You dealer has any concerns That it won't Mount. Tell Him it Mounts the exact same way it would Mount On a X300 series No Modification is needed it Pins right up in the same Location On the X590 (y)
DSC00010.JPG
DSC00011.JPG
DSC00028.JPG

·
Registered
375 Posts
Don't know about the Accel 42", but I don't like that the Edge 42" has very little blade overlap. It is like 5/8" the way Deere measures it vs the 2" on the 48 and 54 decks. As soon as you get a little wear on the blades that is not enough overlap and it leaves an uncut strip when the grass is long. Maybe my deck has some issues, but I think it always did that.

The OP has a 42" deck so he might like the way it cuts. I find the 48" is the right size for my property.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Don't know about the Accel 42", but I don't like that the Edge 42" has very little blade overlap. It is like 5/8" the way Deere measures it vs the 2" on the 48 and 54 decks. As soon as you get a little wear on the blades that is not enough overlap and it leaves an uncut strip when the grass is long. Maybe my deck has some issues, but I think it always did that.

The OP has a 42" deck so he might like the way it cuts. I find the 48" is the right size for my property.
Are you sure that any of these decks have blade overlap? The 48-inch deck on my X500 sure does not. Blade overlap requires blade timing which requires a toothed belt on the spindle pulleys. The belts on all the JD decks are smooth V-belts and smooth pulleys. No matter how you orient the blades they will change on their own. If there was blade overlap they would eventually hit.

·
Super Moderator
15,646 Posts
Are you sure that any of these decks have blade overlap? The 48-inch deck on my X500 sure does not. Blade overlap requires blade timing which requires a toothed belt on the spindle pulleys. The belts on all the JD decks are smooth V-belts and smooth pulleys. No matter how you orient the blades they will change on their own. If there was blade overlap they would eventually hit.
You want to Know something a Little weird the 42C used On the LX255 thru LX288 used a toothed belt On a smooth Pulley and it wasn't a timed deck I use the same toothed belt On My GX335 with 42C deck and that's what it calls for On every deck size for the 325 thru GX355 (y)
s-l1600.png
Screenshot_2020-05-22 John Deere V-Belt M143019 - Green Farm Parts.png

·
Registered
375 Posts
None of the Deere decks I have seen have blade interference, but they all have some blade overlap. This means the blade circles overlap as the mower moves, but as long as the deck is stationary, the circles don't overlap. I believe the diagonal measurement of the blades on a 48" deck are 17". 48"/3 =16". Since each blade is 17", there is one inch on each blade the overlaps one inch on the one next to it. Deere calls that 2" of overlap. The three blade decks have the baldes arranged in a triangle so they don't have to time the blades and still get overlap. This makes them larger front to back, but makes them much more forgiving for accidents. The two blade decks are set at an angle to the normal travel direction. But it is a slight angle, so only allows minimal overlap. It works great with new blades, not so well after the edges get blunted/smaller. If you have a perfect lawn and the blades only ever see grass, I am sure they work well. My property is far from that standard, so after a few hours of use, they leave an uncut strip. My dealer said it was because I cut at 4", but the 48" deck doesn't leave uncut strips when I cut at 4-1/2". So I am going to stick to my explanation based on my results. You might have a different experience with your deck. It is possible that my spindles on the 42" deck are out of alignment. My point is there is a VERY small happy place for this design, which is why I wanted a 48" deck. There are also a few places where having a 48" deck means I only need two passes instead of three. But, there are others where the 42" would fit better. Overall, I like the 48" best.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You want to Know something a Little weird the 42C used On the LX255 thru LX288 used a toothed belt On a smooth Pulley and it wasn't a timed deck I use the same toothed belt On My GX335 with 42C deck and that's what it calls for On every deck size for the 325 thru GX355 (y)
Yes, most of the JD tractors uses what looks like a tooth belt on smooth pulleys for the main PTO drive belt. This is for less slippage. In regards to timed blades you would need a toothed belt and toothed pulleys on the spindle drive belt so the blades all stay in a locked position.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
None of the Deere decks I have seen have blade interference, but they all have some blade overlap. This means the blade circles overlap as the mower moves, but as long as the deck is stationary, the circles don't overlap.
OK... I see what you are saying. That is correct. I was confusing the term "overlap" with "interference". Sorry..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts