My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Bham, Al. My first JD was an LA115 purchased about 5 years ago. I've since modded it with TerraGrips for better traction on my hilly 1.5 acre lot and really come to depend on it for everything from mowing the leaf sweeping to hauling cut trees from the creek at the back of the house up to the roadside for pickup.

I've always wanted an X series and finally found one on FBM at a really good price. A 2010 X320 with the 48 inch deck with 990 hours. Kinda higher than I wanted but for the price, it was all I could afford at the moment. Anyway, it runs and cuts great, but there are several repairs and upgrades I'd like to do to bring it up "make it mine" and I'm looking for some feedback.

1) The hood has a crack in it that's been repaired with tape. Are the newer model, say 2015-2019 X Series hoods compatible with the older 2010 X Series tractors?

2) There is a fair amount of rust on all the surfaces below the battery holder, including the wheel gear. Is this common? I suppose I could use a wire brush and then apply a few coats of flat black rustoleum to stem the rust.

3) The headlight harness appears to have shorted and burnt at the connector, blowing both bulbs. Where can I find the part number for the harness? LED bulbs recommendation?

4) I've purchased a set of TerraGrips that should help the traction considerably, but any recommendations for rear tires to help traction?

Thanks in advance. I have a few more questions and I'll also post a few pics soon.

·
Super Moderator
26,422 Posts
Well I'm not a X series afficianado but I can help you with tracking down parts. JD has an online parts site that is very thorough. Here is the link and just put your tractor model in the search and then choose the correct one from the results. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd already been to that site but its about the worst search interface I think I've ever seen. Was hoping/expecting an Amazon like or Ebay style catalog of hits on my search, but instead I get a list of long numbered lines of text with no apparent explanation or relevance to my search term:

·
Registered
746 Posts
My X500 parts searches find the same kind of results listing. What you have to do is click on one of them to see the initial diagrams of the various sections of your tractor, then find the parts via the keys in the diagrams. I'd suggest that you visit each one of these to see what is the most direct for what you are looking for. The "search" box works ok if you have the exact part number, often we don't have that so must go through the diagrams first. Maybe someone else has a better way to use the JD Parts site, but this is what I found works for me. Good luck, sounds like you have a great tractor to work with.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Go with the HDAPs tires for the rear-will help traction considerably- should be able to dump the terragrips -- might need wheel weights or suitcase weight depending on how steep hills are

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
I am an X series aficionado. I restore mostly X300 and X500 series. First off the "NEW" hood will not fit. Good News! the older hood is cheaper. You get the shell approx. $316.00 and use all the inner guts, grill and bumper ( if not broken ) $50.00 more bucks if it is. Never saw a X320 with HDAP's but not impossible. I don't think it has holes for wheel weights like X500's, A couple of suitcases and your chains with the single bucket holder full of 40 pounds of sand should do, Here is my X320 before and after.

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
Then electrical and you get AM136410
Now Parts are year of manufacture sensitive, so I always put the vin # in the new search if I have it .It will know your specific X320
The RUST there is usually a battery threw up just wire brush it and apply any of the paints you mentioned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Here's a few pics. My first project is sealing up the seat cracks. Just ordered some clear plasti-dip and a JD yellow touch up paint pen (from dealer) along with the missing mower deck pulley covers.

Below is the "Yellow" Plasti-Dip I just received from Amazon. After checking the color against the seat, its way more "orange" then JD Yellow and is no where near a match for the seat or even the color swatch sticker on top of the can. I'm going to order some "clear" of this and paint over that with the dealer supplied JD yellow color pen to try to patch up the seat cracks.

And here's a shot of the area below the battery holder where the rust is most obvious, You can see the steering pinion assembly in the center and the battery at bottom left :

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To do the seat repair, I haven't done this before, but I'm going to take the clear Plasti Dip Vinyl Repair Kit and apply to the cracks, then I'm going to take some parchment paper and tape over the cracks, to pull the seams together and let that dry. I'll probably need to apply a few coats. Once the plasti-dip job is done, I'll take the JD yellow pen and paint over the plasti-dipped sealed cracks and hopefully it will look like a brand new seat again (or as close as possible).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am an X series aficionado. I restore mostly X300 and X500 series. First off the "NEW" hood will not fit. Good News! the older hood is cheaper. You get the shell approx. $316.00 and use all the inner guts, grill and bumper ( if not broken ) $50.00 more bucks if it is. Never saw a X320 with HDAP's but not impossible. I don't think it has holes for wheel weights like X500's, A couple of suitcases and your chains with the single bucket holder full of 40 pounds of sand should do, Here is my X320 before and after.

View attachment 2440958

View attachment 2440959
Looks great! Thanks for sharing that. What's the story of this mower?

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
I'll be watching your progress with the seat, but in my experience with them, once they start to crack the just keep going. I just buy new seats, but don't install them till I sell it.
That X320 I bought 3rd hand. They say it was backed into, ( not sure, if it ran into something ) The PO sold the mower and blower , The new owner used it as a yard hauler for wood,
I restored a rough 48 mower for it, andI had a 44 plow around. I had to put on a new PTO.
It just plowed the last Massachusetts 24 inch snow storm. Ran perfectly. It has 450 hours on it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You’re better off just buying one of the nice John Deere seat covers than trying to fix the seat. If you want to try and prevent the seat from cracking more, just find yellow duct tape. I’d put the tape on even getting the cover.

Edit: you can also just buy a new seat and sell that one. Yes - someone will buy that as it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts