My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been over at crackberry and howardforums and they are only giving that the OS comes in an .exe so no chance, but thought I'd ask here in case someone has done it

Its an 8900 Curve and want to upgrade the OS. The BB D/M is a .dmg but the OS comes as an .exe

I can put it in parallels and when I do, it hangs at the "Connecting to device ROM" step on the Loader program (I run Loader, not do the upgrade through the DM)

So before I use the Device Manager in Mac to back it up and then wipe it with jl_cmdr in Parallels and reinstall there, I thought I would ask.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Are you using USB or Bluetooth when connecting to Mac/Parallels?

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mow
Found some interesting things.
1) the 8900 curve is the only berry not upgradeable via mac
2) the type of xp sp3 disc i had doesnt work in bootcamp
3) if you do install xp in bootcamp, format with fat32, dont use existing format option

so i installed xp sp2 in bootcamp and then the osx disc to load drivers. ie did not like running without the updates at windows update, so after many hours and such, am up and running.

although now i have xp sp3 in parallels and xp sp2 in bootcamp

one question; when i boot to xp sp3 in bootcamp and shut down, when it restarts it goes into windows by default unless i hold the option key and select the osx disc.

is there a way to have it go to mac always by default unless i hold the option key to enter windows?

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I've never used Bootcamp, but you might try going into Startup (System Preferences > Startup Disk) and choose OSX.

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Mow
Looks like simply selecting the startup in Preferences sets it.
I still forget these dont always have the "ok" and "apply" buttons that record in a Registry like a PC does :)
Thanks for the help. Got it working and wish I could skip putting xp on here, but not everyone has a full array of software for Mac's yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts